iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pacific Northwest log truck wrappers

Started by Frickman, September 12, 2010, 08:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

For years I have read about and seen pictures of the cable wrappers log truckers use in the Pacific Northwest to tie down their loads. I just put together another small log truck and want to get away from using chains. From what I understand these wrappers provide a significant weight savings over chains. Is this so? Also, where do I go to buy such a thing? One more question, does anyone have close up pictures of how they are built and work? Most of the pictures I have seen have been in Loggers World and they just show the driver tossing them over from a distance. I'd like to see how they work up close to determine if I can use them on my truck. If anyone can help me out chime in.

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Buck

many trucks around here are using web straps too....another possibility
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Frickman

I have the hardware here for the web straps and may put them on. Alot of guys around here use them. The problem with them is the strap freezes in the winter and sometimes you have to pull them with the skidder to unroll them. I am trying to save every possible ounce I can with this truck so I can haul more wood and if the cable wrappers will save weight I may use them.

In the latest issue of Loggers World a story mentioned Cable-Lite brand wrappers. I found their website and looked at their product, it looks good. They did not have any pictures of it in use so I don't know how it is used.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Gary_C

Most all log haulers around here now use standard tie down straps, mostly 4 inch wide straps. There are still a few that use cables they make up with a section of chain on the end for a chain binder fastened on the other end as you cannot really wrap a cable on a winch or tighten without kinking the cable some way.

I've used cable and chain and will not go back to either. Problem is that cables and chains cannot be stretched when you tighten them and as a result every bit of settling or shift of the logs results in loose holdowns. I don't think I've ever had a strap loose on the road but plenty of time those chains were loose.

But most of the shortwood haulers around have now gone strapless with a front and rear rack and the bunks close together so nothing can shift out of the bunks. That's a huge time saver.

I doubt they use cables because of weight savings as it would not be significant. A hundred or two hundred pounds on an 80,000 load would not be enough to haul another log.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

logloper

Here in Colorado all the truckers use what you are talking about. They use 3/8 cable 20 -25 feet long. On each end of the cable, they atatch 3-4 feet of chain, smaller size but I dont know the size. They run the end of the cable through the chain end and then hook the cable back to itself with two cable clamps. Coil the cable like a lariat rope, then throw over the load. Pull the two chain ends as tight as possible, and hook them togather with a binder. Tighten with a cheater pipe if needed. Most of them keep two jump chains(about 3 feet long with a hook on one end) in case the load is two tall for the wrapper chains to meet. They put one wrapper around load at the rear drivers,and a second wrapper at the front axle on the trailer. Or so. They pull out a couple miles and then retighten the wrappers.

Maine372

guys up here in maine use straps almost without exception.  the trick for winter is to not keep them rolled up on the side of the truck when not it use. when you unstrap the load take the strap completely off, roll it up and put it on the passenger floor with the heat blowing on it to dry it out.

mad murdock

Though not a log truck driver, I can tell you that the cable is 3/8 or 7/16 cable, with 3/8 chain on the last 3-4 feet of each end of the cable, which allows for the use of standard chain binders to tighten the wrapper on the load.  typical 40 ft log load will have at least 4 wrappers on the load, (not sure of the actual ODOT rule) but one can read it here (as copied and pasted from ODOT website)...Log Securement – Clarification
Many log trucks require only two tiedowns (wrappers) to satisfy the cargo securement requirements in FMCSR Part 393.116. However, to meet OSHA standards the load may require more than two. In an inspection, a violation exists only if the REQUIRED NUMBER of tiedowns, per FMCSR standards, are loose, missing, or defective. If the additional wrappers are loose, it is not considered a violation.

What is a loose wrapper? Generally, for a wrapper to be considered loose on a log truck the wrapper would be hanging down, with no contact between the wrapper and the bottom of the logs. If extra mechanical means is needed to tighten a binder, then it is already tight enough. Manufacturers of lever type load binders recommend AGAINST the use of a handle extender (cheater pipe). The increased leverage gained by using a cheater pipe can cause deformation and failure of the chain and load binder.
You can contact rigging supply outfits in the Pac NW. to inquire in detail, or even purchase wrappers from them.  One shop that we use as a good source on anything rigging is this outfit in Portland, ORE -Pope Rigging Loft, Inc.  They are a family run outfit, that know about this business like few I have encountered, they supply rigging for logging, trucking, shipping (as in ships), Helicopter rigging, (long line)  etc. etc.  They do not have a website as such, but here is a page showing their location and ph.  http://mapserver.superpages.com//mapbasedsearch/?&spheader=true&SRC=portals&C=Pope+Rigging+Loft+INC&T=Portland&S=OR&PS=22&PP=N&STYPE=S&L=Portland+OR&LID=0118268475&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=045539661&lng=-122696128&POI1lat=045539661&POI1lng=-122696128&POI1name=Pope+Rigging+Loft+INC&streetaddress=2355+NW+21st+Pl&city=Portland&state=OR&zip=97210&spad=no&bidType=FLCLIK
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

01crewcab

MadMurdock pretty much covered what"wrappers" are here in the PacNW. In Wa. the standard was 3 "wrappers". I never saw a log trucker than didn't use a cheater bar. The move seems to going to the synthetic line- a lot lighter. Many old time log truckers end up with bad shoulders from throwing their wrappers.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Ron Wenrich

Cables never seemed to catch on here in the East.  I don't know if it has something to do with the irregular shape of the logs, or that guys just always used chains. 

We've gone over to web strapping.  I don't know of too many problems with the cold, and we truck no matter what the weather.  The guys just bang the ice off of the strapping, throw it over the load, tighten down and go. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

CX3

You could just do like some folks around here and not strap anything.  Seen 2 loads leave the landing today with no strapping.

My 2 cents use the web straps
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Bobus2003

Cables arn't even allowed to be used on log trucks here.. DOT will have a hay day writing tickets if your caught with cables instead of chains on logs

Frickman

mad murdock,

If I read it correctly, the chain binder is underneath the load. If it's underneath the load, then it is not attached to the truck or trailer frame anywhere. The load is tied to itself, but not to the truck. That would never fly here. We have to have three chains, straps, whatever per tier and the have to be attached to the truck on both sides.

Ron W.,

We don't have problem with the cold, it's all the frozen slush that accumulates on the straps when they're rolled up when the truck is empty and going for another load. There have been a number of times when I had to use the skidder to pull the straps out on a contracted truck when the knucklehead driver let them freeze up overnight.

mad murdock

Frickman, you read correctly, the wrappers are around the logs only,  The stakes on the bunks have to be secured to the truck either by weld, chain, or what have you.  All log truck bunks here are the typical "western" style that have a front and rear bunk with the rear bunk having the ability to slide back and forth, and locked into place at the proper length to accomodate different length log loads.  The only way the logs can come off is if the truck tipped over completely and the whole bundle of logs came out of the bunks in one piece.  That would be a pretty ugly accident.  The binders are not on the bottom per se, they are toward the bottom on the drivers side.  Local laws would prevail in any case.  If that style of load securement does not meet local regs where you haul, then you would have to stick with what the motor carrier enforcement types agree with where you are.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HCF

The cable wrappers are 3/8" cable with 9/32" chain. Most vary between 19'-21' of cable and 3'-4' of chain on them. In Oregon 9/32" chain is the smallest that's legally allowed. So they use it. Most guys don't like the synthetic wrappers. One time you back over them on a rock road and there goes $90. You can not repair them. The wrappers just tie the load together. Not to the truck. In some instances ie 1 or two log loads or a very steep road off the landing drivers will throw what is called strip chains and that is a chain that actually ties the load to the bunk on the truck. Both the truck and trailer bunks swivel and the tongue on the trailer has a compensator that elongates and shortens as the truck turns. Hope this helps.

arojay

I live wayyy Pacific Northwest and only haul big coastal logs occasionally. Obviously you have to check with local regulations.  Around here the load must be secured to the truck or trailer and  straps are common.  I found that the time lost to rolling my straps as I pull them off and keeping them warm and dry is easily recovered when I put them on the next time.  I have had times when the straps froze to the load.  I keep a length of light nylon rope with a nut on a loop for weight, that will more than reach over a load. Just toss it over and tie it to the strap hook and pull her back.  Also handy for pulling a strap that fouls up when throwing it over to tie down.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Trailer Builder

Find some information on ExTe Auto Loadbinders. You just through your load on and through the strap over, turn the air switch on and walk away they keep constant pressure on so incase the load moves it ratchets it tighter to take up the slack.

tycoon139977

here in washington you have to have a minimum of 3 wrappers around the load, the wrappers only go around the logs and the logs are held in place on the bunks by their wieght pressing down on the knife edges, the bunks do not move back and forth to accomidate different load sizes, the reach on the trailer moves in and out to change the length the only times i have ever heard of the load being stripped is when the trucker forgets to tightin the reach and pulls it out, or he is gitting pushed up a hill by a shovel or somthing like that.
Berger M-3, Mini Madill 071, Madill 171, Thunderbird TY-90, Yoader

tycoon139977

also from what ive seen on TV here in washington and surrounding areas, we have alot bigger and heavier trees around here which could be why we dont have to tie the logs to the trucks, just let the knife edges hold the logs to the bunks.

captain_crunch

Oregun law requires a wrapper every 10 ft and NO unsecured end wrappers only circumference logs un less in summer and we throw a strip wrapper which goes around front bunk Syn wrappers were designed to stop shoulder injurys to drivers Cant even imagine HOW you would throw chain over load ??? ??? With chain on end of cable you whip chain on end and cable will follow. Every mill wants wrappers different at dump some front for 1&4  on drivers side with center 2 on passenger side and visa versa
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

tycoon139977

yes, i heard a few years ago oregon started requiring 4 wrappers min. but in washington i believe it is still only 3 min., depending on the load, every log has to have at least 2 wrappers on it tho, so if you have 40 ft bunk logs, and two 20 ft chunks on the top of the load you need 4 wrappers so the two 20 ft chunks have two wrappers on them.

Thank You Sponsors!