iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is a 4/4 board

Started by weisyboy, October 07, 2010, 05:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weisyboy

i see you guys talking about a 4/4board what exactly is it?

iv also seen 3/4 and 5/4 mentioned
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

bandmiller2

Four quarter or one inch,6/4 would be 1 1/2 inch ect.Our mates down under that have done gone metric I don't know what you'd call it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

weisyboy

it faster to saw inch than four quarter.

what is the idea behind sayign it like that.

i work in inches but most work in metric in aus.

1" is 25mm, 1 1/2" is 38mm.

when i cut a board you would call a 4x4 10' long, i call it a 4x4 3m long but i gota call it a 100mm x 100mm 3m long when i speak to others.

its just easyer for my to work in inches, its also easyer to signal to my tailor.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

bandmiller2

Weasy,I don't really know why just one of the old trade ways of saying it.Guess its a way to recognise someone else in the sawmill business every trade has its own jargon so we can recognize each outher and weed out the pilgrims. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I once confirmed with a customer that he wanted me to saw his lumber 4/4.  He told me "no, he wanted it a full inch".  ;D

I have found that furniture builders, etc. are familiar with and use quarters.  Usually, if lumber is going to be planed to a certain thickness, then quarters are used to insure that enough stock is there to produce the desired final thickness.

Most of my customers want 1X4's, 1X6's, 1X12's, etc. for shelving, siding, sheathing, etc.,  so I commonly use inches.   So it does matter who you are talking to.  I just use the terminology that they are familiar with.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weisyboy

is it just used for thickness of for width aswell.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weisyboy

so it would be a 4" wide 4/4 board.

wht about square boards. like 4x4 or 2x2

Magicman

Thickness first.  4/4X4.  This would be the rough sawed measurement before drying and planing.  That way you could get a finished board that is ¾ by 3½.

I've really never seen any particular measurement used with square stock and cants other than inches.  Just be sure that you are sawing what the customer wants.

Bibbyman

4/4 is pronounced four-quarter.  Each "quarter" is 1/4".  Thus 4/4 would = 1".  In the old circle mill days 4/4 would be sawn 1-1/4" thick.  It's sawn over thickness to allow for inaccuracy in sawing, shrinkage and distortion in drying and is intended to be finished down to 1".  

In my world 4/4 oak grade lumber is sawn mill width by 1-1/8" thick.  (5/4 would be 1-3/8" thick, 6/4 would be 1-5/8" and so on.)  Only 1/8" is added to allow for shrinking and drying, etc.

Talking in "quarters" is the language used in the manufacturing of flooring, furniture, cabinets, etc. 

Construction lumber is specified in nominal dimensional numbers like 2x4, 1x10, etc. and may have started life from the mill in those sizes but lost quite a bit before it gets to the customer – 2x4 turning out to be 1.5"x 3.5", for example.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

weisyboy

ok now i understand

do you gus have a standard that says what quality your timber has to be.

for green timber
if i want to sell a board 25mm (1") thick it has the be withing 3mm (1/8") of 25mm so it cant be more than 28mm and not less than 22mm.

for dry timber it cant be more than 3mm oversize and not under size at all.

Chuck White

Lumber has to be a specific grade if it's going to be used in construction.

Grade requirements can vary here from state to state!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

Hardwoods have their own different grades.  It is mainly dependent on the amount of clear wood that can be gotten from a piece of wood, and it has limits on the sizes of allowable cuts, and the number of cuts.

A clear or nearly clear piece of wood would grade out at FAS (Firsts & Seconds).  It would have a minimum cut of 4"x5' or 3"x7', and would need 90% in clear cuttings.  The number of allowable cuts are the Surface Measure (SM)/4.  This is the highest quality of wood, and commands the highest price. 

As the grades go down, you are allowed smaller cuts, more cuts, and less clear wood per piece.  The price also drops, sometimes dramatically.

Hardwoods are used for show.  The long, clear pieces are often used in moldings.  The boards with more defect may find their way into furniture and cabinet cuttings.  The boards with the most defect will find their way into flooring, especially strip flooring.

Besides 4/4, etc, there is a 5/8 cutting that is used for drawer sides.  You don't see much of this cut.  I believe they resaw 5/4 for drawer sides instead of all the extra handling that is involved with the 5/8 grade.

As for thickness, some plants try to squeeze down to the 1/16th of an inch, where 4/4 = 1 1/16.  Most wholesalers won't buy that thickness.  Most 4-6/4 is cut 1/8" over, but I've seen some that want 3/16" over on the 6/4.  Most plants want 1/4" when you get heavier than 8/4. 

Got to know your buyers and what they want.  Same holds true for construction or other uses, like pallets, ties, and blocking.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

paul case

weisy,
if you want to se those rules that ron is talking about, look up nhla.com/pdf/rulebook.pdf            i will just say it this way. its complicated.

Quote from: Magicman on October 07, 2010, 07:56:41 AM
I once confirmed with a customer that he wanted me to saw his lumber 4/4.  He told me "no, he wanted it a full inch".  ;D

I have found that furniture builders, etc. are familiar with and use quarters.  Usually, if lumber is going to be planed to a certain thickness, then quarters are used to insure that enough stock is there to produce the desired final thickness.

Most of my customers want 1X4's, 1X6's, 1X12's, etc. for shelving, siding, sheathing, etc.,  so I commonly use inches.   So it does matter who you are talking to.  I just use the terminology that they are familiar with.

what do you mean  by''i commonly use inches''   are you usually sawing those 1x4's  7/8'' or 3/4'' or 1''?    i saaw quite a bit of those sizes and most often unless the customer is really picky i get by with 7/8 for inch boards.  not with grade lumber buyers. they have to have it 1 1/8''.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Maybe I can answer your question Paul.

If I have a customer that's not sure about 1" or 4/4, I take the time to explain it to them.

Usually they'll say just use the 1" scale (what I call the yard-stick) and as you know, they'll come off the mill somewhere between 7/8 and 15/16 inch thick.  This due to not allowing for the kerf!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

weisyboy

so a 4/4 board is full inch.

and a 1" board would be 1" less kerf. ???

Ron Wenrich

Its been my experience that 4/4 is used mainly in furniture grade lumber, and the inch scale is used in mainly construction.  The 4/4 will allow for shrinkage and planing, so its cut plump to have sufficient thickness to be planed down to a common thickness. 

Inch material is dependent on usage.  Our ties are supposed to be 7"x9", but they want them cut plump.  Same goes for pallet stock.

But, material from the inch scale is often cut scant, since its final usage has been allowed to be cut back over the years.  A 2"x4" in this country has a final size of 1½" x 3½".  So, to get the final size, many mills will cut a 2x4 at 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" to allow for drying and planing.  In hardwoods, we call that 6/4.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

Quote from: weisyboy on October 08, 2010, 05:42:08 AMand a 1" board would be 1" less kerf. ??? 

Not necessarily weisyboy.  It depends upon the sawyer and what the customer wants.

I have Simple SetWorks, and when I saw 1" lumber, it's 1".  I have a cheat sheet that gives me my starting point at different heights so that the dog board is also 1".  When my customer asks for 1", he gets 1".

If the customer wants "quarter" lumber, then I'll simply adjust my starting height and give them what they want.

terrifictimbersllc

Another way to think about this which hasn't been said yet is that 4/4 or 4 quarter are mathematical expressions. 4/4 is written, not said, and it means 4 divided by 4, or 1.  It also means "four quarter" if said out loud.     Quarter means a quarter of an inch or 1/4 of an inch.   So "four quarter" means four 1/4's or 4 x 1/4 and that also is 1.   

After that is said you can get into that four quarter softwood is 1" and hardwood is 1-1/8" and 3/4 wood is calculated as 4/4 etc and on and on.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sigidi

Clear as bloody mud ain't it?  ;D

Personally I always check if the customer wants metric or imperial, mm or inches, I very often like Carl talk about length in metres, but do thickness and width in either inches or mm, whatever the customer is happy with.

If the timber is going to another mill, I like to catch up with them first and find out exactly what they are expecting, plump boards or whatever, same with a mobile customer - I figure it is just a case of numbers on the scale and with the Lucas I never have to account for the thickness of the blade it automatically sorts it out for me, so I just make sure what the customer wants, it's always hard to stick the sawdust back on to make a thicker board. :D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Piston

On the Woodmizer quarter scale, if you use the 4/4 or 6/4 for example, do you get exactly 1" and 1 1/2" respectively?  Or does it add the 1/8" or so that you guys are talking about so you get 1 1/8" and 1 5/8" respectively? ???
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Piston on October 10, 2010, 12:27:36 PM
On the Woodmizer quarter scale, if you use the 4/4 or 6/4 for example, do you get exactly 1" and 1 1/2" respectively?  Or does it add the 1/8" or so that you guys are talking about so you get 1 1/8" and 1 5/8" respectively? ???

Not likely.  If I remember right,  it's intended to come up with a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" "4/4" board.  WM makes a couple of scales depending on what 4/4 boards you want.

Quote from: sigidi on October 10, 2010, 09:24:39 AM
Clear as bloody mud ain't it?  ;D

Personally I always check if the customer wants metric or imperial, mm or inches, I very often like Carl talk about length in metres, but do thickness and width in either inches or mm, whatever the customer is happy with.

If the timber is going to another mill, I like to catch up with them first and find out exactly what they are expecting, plump boards or whatever, same with a mobile customer - I figure it is just a case of numbers on the scale and with the Lucas I never have to account for the thickness of the blade it automatically sorts it out for me, so I just make sure what the customer wants, it's always hard to stick the sawdust back on to make a thicker board. :D ;)

When I use the term "four-quarter" (4/4),  I'm specially talking about hardwood lumber made using the National Hardwood Lumber Association rules.  When I abide by their rules I can market my lumber to a number of commercial buyers – sometimes called "brokers" or directly to manufactures that use this product.  (In our case, right now, that's a company that makes flooring. )  These brokers then can sort, dry, etc. the lumber and in turn market their collected lumber to even bigger markets.  When a buyer knows the NHLA specifications, they don't have to do any talking about "how thick".   It's a common language in this market.  This lumber becomes a commodity like wheat, oil, etc. 

For a number of years we sawed walnut and cherry that went through a broker to export markets in Europe and Asia.  We still sawed it to NHLA rules.

Now if "Joe Smoo" comes in with a log,  I'll talk to him about how thick he wants his 1" lumber. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JPM

the way i was told 4/4 is the size coming off the mill. 1in. is a dressed size.but i cut just for my self so i can call it what i want  ;D

Okrafarmer

So I'm guessing that it is one of those things where the meaning and purpose behind it has changed somewhat over time. I guess in the old days they cut a lot of lumber thinking in terms of quarters of an inch-- quite possibly the old time circle mills couldn't adjust any finer than that? So it was a matter of how many quarters of an inch did you want-- how many pulls on the lever to set the log over, or something like that? And the terminology continued on beyond when it could have been abandoned because it was entrenched both at the sawmill and at the manufacturers, maybe.

This kind of reminds me of the British system of artillery nomenclature-- a 4-pounder gun, for instance, or whatever. The cannon ball for a smooth bore gun of that diameter would be four pounds. However, this gun is not smoothbore, and would not use a spherical projectile, and yet they persisted in calling it a 4-pounder, even after they converted to metric and should have called it a 1.8-kilogrammer.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 10, 2010, 11:48:30 PM
So I'm guessing that it is one of those things where the meaning and purpose behind it has changed somewhat over time. I guess in the old days they cut a lot of lumber thinking in terms of quarters of an inch-- quite possibly the old time circle mills couldn't adjust any finer than that? So it was a matter of how many quarters of an inch did you want-- how many pulls on the lever to set the log over, or something like that? And the terminology continued on beyond when it could have been abandoned because it was entrenched both at the sawmill and at the manufacturers, maybe.

Okra
Don't think you have it quite right there.    ;)
Maybe just a WAG?
But ok if you want to believe it.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!