The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Wheeler by Metavic 20,000lb Self Loading Log Trailer  (Read 20596 times)

Offline Captain

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Wheeler by Metavic 20,000lb Self Loading Log Trailer
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »

We purchased this trailer in 2005.  It is a 2004 model, with 13hp Honda engine.  The trailer is 20,000lb GWVR.  Pintle hitch.  14' Reach.  2400lb lift rated (NOT at full extension).  Does NOT have additional options of winch, trailer deck, rear ramps, trailer dump, however capable of all with upgrades from Metavic.

Reason for selling is demise of our sawmill business due to insurance loss.  We are hobby milling only now, and can not justify the need.

The above picture is 5+ years old.  Everything works perfectly.  There are however some cosmetic blemishes from use, and the paint is not as bright as it used to be.  Current pictures available to anybody interested.

Price is $20,000.  The Forestry Forum gets $1000 if sold here.  It goes to Craigslist next weekend.

Captain

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
Re: Wheeler by Metavic 20,000lb Self Loading Log Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
Nice unit, good price too.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline johngrlc

• Share Post
    • redwoodlumco
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
hello,i have been a member for a few years but this is my first post. i am interested in your metavic wheeler but i dont know how we contact each other. thanks

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
johngrlc
Welcome to the Forum

Looks like you've been a member since earlier this November.  ::) ::)
Or did you have a different name before?

Click on another members name, and there you will see a place to send a private message to that member.

Referred to here as a PM, which if you've been a member or been reading posts, you have run into that abbreviation often.

:)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
beenthere, members with zero posts are not able to access the instant messaging feature as a matter of security, however johngrlc, you now have the ability to contact captain in the manner beenthere has described. Captain has notification set for this topic so he will get an email simply because this topic was posted on.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline mannzee

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

We purchased this trailer in 2005.  It is a 2004 model, with 13hp Honda engine.  The trailer is 20,000lb GWVR.  Pintle hitch.  14' Reach.  2400lb lift rated (NOT at full extension).  Does NOT have additional options of winch, trailer deck, rear ramps, trailer dump, however capable of all with upgrades from Metavic.

Reason for selling is demise of our sawmill business due to insurance loss.  We are hobby milling only now, and can not justify the need.

The above picture is 5+ years old.  Everything works perfectly.  There are however some cosmetic blemishes from use, and the paint is not as bright as it used to be.  Current pictures available to anybody interested.

Price is $20,000.  The Forestry Forum gets $1000 if sold here.  It goes to Craigslist next weekend.

Captain

Offline mannzee

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
Hi, just found this ad.I noticed you posted last year and was wondering if the unit was still available. Thanks . Happy 4th to you ! Mannzee

Offline blueduck

• milling logs since Feb '86
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
i am still interested in owing one of these type of units too, justifying one is hard when it seems no one wants any lumber sawn for awhile and then EVERYONE has a couple trees needing sawn the same week then nothing agin.... beenthat way here a time or three since i first seen these things and got their pricing from them years ago!

now half a dozen different manufacturers exist so there must be some market and maybe more of these around for sale which may just be sitting there.........

William
Idaho
Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.
- John Dretschmer

Offline CarlR

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
Mannzee and Blueduck,

The Metavic trailers are really great especially for an operation that doesnt have a lot of employeesor any.  Im not sawmilling, but mine gets more use than I thought it would.

Mine is the similar to the one pictured except it is decked and a gooseneck.  A one-ton dually is the minimum to pull mine.  Anything less is asking for a wreck.  Where I am, the axels are too close together to get the full 20,000 pounds.  I think the axels need to be another 6 further apart.

I underestimated the paperwork and maintenance.  When this is behind a truck, people take notice.  My truck (now) has DOT numbers.  It and the trailer get an annual DOT inspection and the daily inspection.   I also carry the cargo securement guidelines with me in case someone has questions. 

Grease fittings, engine oil, batteries, running gear, brakes and tires cost money when the time comes.  Since 2008, I have had to replace one cylinder, a couple of hydraulic lines, 8 tires and both batteries.  Rust and paint are becoming an issue.

Most importantly, this spring I put a new seat on (I got tired of a wet backside).  Mine has been worth it.  But it can be a hole in the shop yard to pour money into
Deere 6410 with high tensile twine skidding emerald bored ash...

Offline blueduck

• milling logs since Feb '86
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
With all the hills in this area, i figger that it would take at least a ton and a half but would probably be best to find a short wheelbase 2 ton just for grins giggles and peace of brain. though a heavy duty "real" one ton 4x4 might get the job done.

I know if a fella was around in places where something like a tornado  or just high winds knocking down trees came through it might be useful to pick up a few decent loads with.... and i can imagine that folks give it a wide berth on the highway, not many have seen anything like it before i bet.

William
Idaho
Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.
- John Dretschmer

Offline CarlR

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
I tow mine with an F450.  This handles the loaded trailer with no problem, but my area is flat.

I have used mine for gathering and hauling blow-down.  The winch is a must-have unless a tractor is handy.  The log is either just out of reach or on the other side of somewhere a truck cant go.  Off-road work or snow requires four wheel drive.  I was worried about putting a hole in the trucks fuel tank so I added skid plates.  I have watched the trailer frame get really close to the top or side or tailgate of the pickup because Im cresting a little hill.  I hate bent tailgates (when theyre mine)!

Still, its a great tool!

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
I have a blue ox little ox I towed with a one tone for the first 3 years, at 7 ton it was a white knuckle

now with the 4500 it is a dream tow
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline ahlkey

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I originally bought a used model and then mounted it on a custom trailer (see my gallery).  Overall total cost I have in it is near $7K which includes custom bunks, etc...  I typically pull it with my F650 but have used my F250 for very light loads.  When I was looking for a used model I found a few around but they can be hard to find.

Offline CarlR

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:54:10 AM »
I considered the Blue Ox but found none used.  I bet these are just as good, the people at the factory were really helpful. 

Even the Metavic was hard to find, we drove 550 miles one way to pick it up.  I have never seen another self-loading gooseneck on the road.  I think this tends to keep the resale prices high.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:14:29 AM »
Ahlkey,

Nice rig, especially to only have that much in it.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline CarlR

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
Ahlkey,
Nice work on that trailer!  I bet having bunk frames running across the trailer saves the deck from the wear and tear.  The loader looks like new.  I bet that and the F650 are a comfortable drive going down the road.  Great looking rig.

Offline ahlkey

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  The custom log bunks use a Hickory beam that fit directly into the side pocket of the bunk.  It also allows me to take them off and use on other trailers or the flatbed on the truck.  You are right when going down the highway the 650 pulls great.   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Metavic Wheeler Senior log loading trailer! New price!!

Started by Louis on For Sale

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 06:24:58 AM
by stumper
xx
The Wheeler Senior Log loading trailer ??

Started by Louis on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 12:31:48 AM
by Bobus2003
xx
Metavic senior wheeler

Started by johngrlc on For Sale

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2020, 11:11:14 AM
by johngrlc
xx
metavic trailer