iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler starting problem

Started by kelLOGg, November 04, 2010, 07:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Initially, it fires right up but as a sawing day wears on my Kohler gets harder to start. I turn the ignition switch and the crankshaft rotates about 1/4 revolution and stops. I turn switch off, rotate by hand until the compression stroke begins and turn the ignition sw and it starts. I had the battery tested yesterday - not quite to specs but it delivered 150 amps at 13.2 volts so the battery has more life in it. Battery is 8 yo and I keep it charged constantly w/ a battery minder. What cause this and what to do about it?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Bob, sounds like your engine is plugged with sawdust and running hot, heat soakes the electric starter. Remove  some of the cowling and check for mouse nests and blow out sawdust.Mayby your starter is dragging and needs rebuild. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

poolman

If jumper cables dont help then its not the battery.You wont know unless You try a jump when this is taking place.I have a 27 hp  and My battery went bad in 4 years.8 years is longer than most batteries could ever last.Maybe You are just a very lucky battery man to get 8 years or I am just unlucky.  Brian

Hilltop366

Also check and clean battery cables on both ends and large cable or lug from solenoid to starter. Sometimes batteries just don't have what it takes when starters and engines get older, try a boost when it happens or a different battery this might give you some more ideas.

Kevin

The only problem I've had with my Kohler is a faulty oil sensor.
I changed it and it still caused starting problems so I just leave the wire disconnected.

Captain

16-18hp single cylinder?  If no what is it?

Captain

Skip

I had the same problem with mine as Kevin come to find out oil sensor on 17 hp is SUPPOSed to be disconnected :o had no problems since . It acted same way started fine first thing then took an act of congress the rest of the day. Had a generator that acted same way was faulty oil sensor filled it up to top with oil, problem solved.

kelLOGg

Well, Hilltop366 may be right on target. I checked the battery cables and found that on the engine end they were loose - not finger loose - but another quarter revolution turn with a socket wrench snugged them tight. Over the years I guess they just worked loose. I'm sawing tomorrow and Sat and that will report findings afterwards.

Captain, my Kohler is 16 HP, 2 cylinder.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 04, 2010, 08:24:56 AM
Also check and clean battery cables on both ends and large cable or lug from solenoid to starter.

Hilltop366 wins the prize ;D. Sawed Fri & Sat and engine started w/o hesitation.

Bob

weisyboy

i have to take my starter off every ow and then and take it apart to get the sawdust out.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Hilltop366

Glad to here your mill is starting good again.
Now Bob, what was that prize you we talking about? ;D

Chuck White

Quote from: Kevin on November 04, 2010, 09:22:41 AM
The only problem I've had with my Kohler is a faulty oil sensor.
I changed it and it still caused starting problems so I just leave the wire disconnected.

Kevin; I'd like to make a suggestion for your oil sensor.  Install a momentary (NC) push-button switch in the line to the sensor.
Press the switch while starting and when you let up on the button, the low oil sensor will be back in operation.

Bob;  Glad to hear that you're back in operation!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 07, 2010, 09:36:07 AM
Now Bob, what was that prize you we talking about? ;D

Before I retired from my day job if someone walked on water they got an "attaboy". So, Hilltop.... you've just been awarded one too.
Bob

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!