The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Processor? Maybe?  (Read 10800 times)

Offline Jamie_C

• Share Post
Re: Processor? Maybe?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
Well after running both rubber tired CTL machines and tracked carriers i think i can say without a doubt that it is the operator in the seat that does the damage and not the machine. If you turn a tracked machine around in the woods and do a lot of damage it is the fault of the person in the seat ... many operators can do very minimal damage with a tracked carier plus it is pretty easy to knock the edges down from whatever damage you cause while turning.

As for the not being able to directional fell with a dangle head ... i would say that you probably haven't run one if you don't think that you can hold a tree vertical and swing it around at will unless it is a pretty large tree. Most dangle heads have enough power in the tilt cylinders to hold a tree vertical unless you are in big timber ... the last rubber tired harvester (a Timberjack 1070) had enough tilt cylinder strength to hold a 12" dbh tree vertical and would tip trees back up from horizontal if they were under about 6"dbh all by itself although it didn't like it. Picking trees up from horizontal to vertical is a great way to put way more strain on rotators, swing gear and booms than they were designed for.

Like i said before it is all about the person in the seat of the machine ...

Offline timberjake

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »
You can fire a lazy man but you can't fire a bad processor.  I don't know why anyone would trade in a machine that is running well and making them lots of money unless they had no choice but to retool because landowners were demanding it.  You never know what you will get from a used equipment dealer.  But I would rest assured that if something didn't NEED to be fixed on a machine they are selling and you don't catch it right away, you will be replacing it yourself. 

If I had to do it over I would try really hard to find sub-contractors to do the saw-work rather than try to hire a guy.  You can pay a sub more(no workmans comp/employment taxes etc.) and way less paperwork and if they are lazy they make less money.

If you absolutely insist on buying one of these heart attacks on wheels all I can say is good luck.  I've had two so far with not much success.  One was reliable, cheap but slow and the one I have now is really fast, has expensive, somewhat hard to find parts/fittings and breaks ALL the time.

As far as cutting large hardwood the Rolly II head is the best I've seen.  Never had one but heard good things about them from owners and have watched them in large hardwoods and they are very impressive.

whatever you get try it out for at leas a month.  If the dealer won't let you than don't get it.  If it can't run for a month without all kinds of problems forget it and try something else.
"Never hire a man who doesn't wear suspenders and smokes.  If he ain't lighting a cigarette he's pullin up his pants."

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »
hi guys
I run a john deere 1270 harvester/h480 dangle head.  having never run a fixed head or any kind of tracked carrier, i can't say much about those. What i can do is agree with those above saying directional falling is not a problem with a dangler. i often cut in large soft and hard maple (the largest i've cut with this machine was 32 x 36" veneer quality) with a little practice it is fairly simple to delimb some really ugly stems. 

My best production was around four doubles in a day, or around 80 -85 cord. average more like 50. the stands we cut are in the UP and usually down to 70 square foot basil area. some marked stands but also some operator select. running a four, six and eight wheel forwarders, there is usually no problem with manuvering through a stand with minimal disturbance (60-80 basil)

From what i,ve heard the big fixed heads have more power for delimbing, but the danglers have the speed.   does it boild down to operator preference only?

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »
A friend is in SW Wisconsin right now cutting with a Ponsse Ergo, rubber tired dangle head machine. There are crews cutting on the same tracts with Fabtek fixed head track carries, when they get in the really nasty bushy hardwoods down there the fabteks work better. There is a crew up here that was running a fabtek fixed head, they went to a new John Deere track machine with a BIG dangle head, I hear it's a real animal. They cut a lot of big aspen and that machine is doing very well for them. They said it's a lot easier on the machine and the operator with the dangle head, it doesn't beat you up as much. I guess if I was going to use one for processing mainly firewood I would be looking at a fabtek style machine.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »
  Thanks for the opinions everyone  ;D 8) :) :)  I've been doing more than just firewood for several years now.  I cut and market everything from veneer logs to aspen pulp.  The firewood end of the operation is a way to add value to otherwise fairly low value hardwood pulp.  I've come across a couple pretty good looking Timbcos one with a Rolly and one with a Rolly II head.  Both seem reasonable in price.  I've yet to see them up close though.  Ponsse has had a dealership in Gaylord for a while now.  Service from them should be good as they're close.  I see they've got some used machines too.  An aqaintance on the other side of town has a Ponsee and I need to talk to him.  JDE in Traverse City has a couple used 1270s.  I need to make some phone calls  :-\ :)
  The guy that's working for me has been for a little over a year.  He was real good last fall, winter and spring.  I went to my other job for a couple months this spring and left him pretty much on his own and told him to take it easy.  I came back to my own business full time after a couple months and he still hasn't come back up to speed  ::) >:(  Even after I've told him to step it up more than once.  To top it off I've been pushing to get my seasoned tops cut and forwarded to the landed before I lose them under the snow.  We had a beautiful stretch of weather the 2nd week of Nov and I told him the week before that it was going to be nice and he needed to be there on time and work a full day.  He laid out on me two of those days with a supposed back injury from an ATV accident when he was a kid  :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  I'm in Mo right now on my way Bro Noble's and then on to my bro in laws in Alb. NM for Thanksgiving and won't be home until the 28th or 29th.  I told the sawhand to go deerhunting and I'd see him Monday or Tuesday that week and he'd better be there at 8AM ready to work thru 4PM and expect to put in five days like that weather permitting.  If he F***S OFF any that week he's gone.  I've got a couple guys in mind that are experienced and hungry  :)  I hope the snow holds for awhile into Dec or I'll be buying more ash pulp to process into firewood than I'd like.  Dee says I'm soft and shoulda fired him six weeks ago when he started coming in later than he had been.  He got hooked up with an older woman.  He's 24 and she's 43.  She works nights and gets home when he should be coming to work.  You can guess why he's late  ::) ;D :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Coon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »
Good hired help is hard to come by Corley and even worse yet around these parts it is hard to even find a job like that  ::) .... I'd be blessed to come work for ya if'n you were alot closer.  ;D   There are just no mills around these parts to take any timber to.  There is all kinds of wood to cut too.   ::)  The only way you can make a go of it around these parts is to have a small mill and sell lumber and a bit of firewood. 

Brad. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 04:28:57 AM »
My uncle built a mill in Prince Albert, 30 odd years ago. Did that place close up?

Corley's dilemma is the same here as well. Farmers also have the same hardship getting good help. But to be fair, there are some situations where the work is not steady to begin with. That's mostly the case on farms. And that is just as hard on the worker as the employer.
Move'n on.

Offline Coon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »
Swamp, there are only a couple of big mills (Weyerhauser)at the most going right now in the province.  Carrot River sawmill and the pulp mill at Hudson Bay are both coming back online if they haven't already.  I know they were having trouble getting wood this summer when they were supposed to come online but they had to push that back a while. 

Te farm scene here is another whole ball of wax too.  The farmers are now done for the season other than a few odd days here and there to haul their grain to the elevators when the markets open up. They don't need any workers.  Trying to find a job around here is like trying to keep the sidewalk clean in a snowstorm. I see there are a few camp jobs available in the bush in Northern Alberta right now.  ;)  May have to hitchhike though.   :D

Bad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »
I don't intend to leave my warm shop for at least the next 5 months.  :D :D :D  8)
Move'n on.

Offline furltech

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »
Well i went and did it bought a small stroke harvester (patu ) on a kubota kh28 carrier today.  goodbye no show cutters hello bank payments  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Processor Build, Home Made Firewood Processor

Started by Higgo on Firewood and Wood Heating

110 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 08:52:41 PM
by hedgerow
xx
Leveling processor vs standard track processor

Started by quilbilly on Forestry and Logging

21 Replies
Last post December 23, 2017, 12:46:21 PM
by Skeans1