The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Cell Phone + Internet Service = Perfect Crime  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
Cell Phone + Internet Service = Perfect Crime
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
There was a news story on the twin cities TV news shows this week about some people that wanted to buy a used pizza oven and found one on Craig's List. So they e mailed the seller and met him at the closed pizza shop. They liked the pizza oven and paid the guy $6400 cash. They returned the next day to get the oven with a truck and unfortunately the owner of the closed pizza shop drove by and called the police.

Seems the guy that sold them the pizza oven had come by some days earlier and probably broke in and changed the door locks. He then came back with the buyers, let them in with his key, sold the oven and disappeared with the money.

The police investigators got all the listing information from Craig's List but the trail went thru a couple of servers, a cheap cell phone, and ended at the address of a cemetary in Los Angeles.

Police say it is close to a perfect crime as they have absolutely no leads and no where to look. Guess this is the future of the internet with these cheap cell phones. Crooks can hide and never be found. ::)

I had the same type of thing happen with one of those disreputable telemarketers. I told him that my caller ID had given me his number and I was going to report him. He just laughed and said "you really think that worries me?" And then he said it was not his number anyway.

It's only going to get worse.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Cell Phone + Internet Service = Perfect Crime
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
........ They returned the next day to get the oven with a truck and .........It's only going to get worse.

I'd say there was the mistake by the buyer. Don't pay someone cash and return the next day expecting the goods to be there.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
How many buyers from Craigs List or E Bay actually verify ownership?

Would you take having the keys to a building as proof of ownership?

But the big question is should the internet and cell phones allow you to be totally untraceable?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline ronwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Enjoy Making Sawdust !!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
Most of the time they are able to trace the computer on the other end. Part of the issue is that there are proxy servers on the internet that can shield the source and can be difficult to get any info from those that operate the server especially if the server is in another country. With the phone the probably bought a phone with minutes and paid cash for the phone. More difficult to trace.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Offline red oaks lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
and we think criminals aren't smart.. the buyer in this case sure wasn't thinking with the large side of his/her brain. anymore we all have to be extra cautious with everything.
the experts think i do things wrong
 over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »
The scam isn't new, just the method of promoting it.

Before the internet, it would have been a newspaper advert, and the phone number would have gone to the motel room where the guy was staying. Deal would have been done, and the only trace is an empty motel room, that he probably skipped out on the bill for anyway.

Another scam they have been trying here is renting houses. Find an empty house and get a spare key. Advertise it for rent, show several people through it, get a security deposit and 2 weeks rent from each of them, even give them a tenancy agreement. Just be gone next week when they all try and move into the same house, that belongs to someone else!!!

Hey buddy, wanna buy a bridge?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
Why would you pay someone all the money up front?  That was their problem.  If you're not taking the item with you, if you're half way smart, you just give a deposit and pay the balance on pick up.  For an item of this much value, I'd also ask for a hand written bill of sale and ask to see the persons drivers license.  Sure, they could have a fake, but most probably won't be that prepared.  You have to take some responsibility for yourself in these situations as well. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline easymoney

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
 there is always someone trying to make a dishonest buck. i have not had a credit card in over 5 years. but i have received 3 calls in the last few weeks claiming that i owe $1,700 dollars on unpaid credit card debt. the last one insisted that if i would give him my checking account number that the debt would be taken care of. i jerked him around for a few minutes and hung up. if this was a legitimate debt why wait 5 years to try to collect?

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 02:11:25 AM »
There's the possibility of identity theft where someone opened a new card in your name, however, with a proposal like you mentioned, it just sounds like an outright con.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
Scams are everywhere, from driving stolen plates on vehicles to cancelled insurance so you have the card to present to an officer that pulled you over, to selling stolen goods over the internet, you name it its out there.   I've even heard of a house being stolen before, thats right the entire house, gone without a trace, a guy bought one new, a pull together and hired a company to deliver his new house and it never showed up at his lot, no way to trace it and the builder never supplied the trucking company so they were off the hook, can you imagine that to pay a company to steal your house and no way to trace them down, fake names, numbers, and no id or pictures to go on for the drivers or trucks let alone know where it went to follow the leads, just gone and never arrived, they had the paperwork to get it out of the factory and used fake names and signatures and then never delivered it to the right lot, the numbers on the permits ended at a disconected number and the liscense plates were stolen for the trucks, try that one on for size. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Expensive Cell Phone Service

Started by Gary_C on General Board

36 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 12:53:05 PM
by beenthere
xx
Anybody try Internet Phone Service like Vonage ???

Started by chainsaw_louie on General Board

19 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 01:12:34 AM
by chainsaw_louie
xx
got a new cell phone

Started by hackberry jake on General Board

16 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 05:05:25 PM
by trapper
xx
GPS for you cell phone.