The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: what do I have here ??? (a lesson in identifying a hardwood.)**Solved-Hickory**  (Read 7391 times)

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: what do I have here ??? (a lesson in identifying a hardwood.)
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 11:02:20 PM »
Ty,

Your method works just fine!  Most people would not recognize a parenchyma cell if they ran into one on a dark road one night  ;D

You also have to use all the senses and not just rely on books.  Walnut and white oak have very distinctive smells, but of course you cannot yet smell on the Forum, but Jeff will probably fix that too soon  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 06:15:12 AM »
I use Hoadley's books. I was able to ID some black ash in the barn frame I'm restoring, with confirmation from Hoadley himself.

......and a little coaching as I recall.

Seems to me someone thought they had black locust for awhile. :D

Some may have mentioned.....

Looks ash-like, fine rays and solitary late wood pores, tyloses in early wood pores. Kind of dark though, should be more grayish brown for white ash. Not very rot resistant. Was thinking sassafras, but the pore pattern is not right in the latewood. Ash is quite tough stuff in my experience.

And someone jumped the gun a little here with his Hoadley book... ;D

I think you may have it SD. I compared my photo to the Hoadley photos for white and black ash. Looks like white to me. Early on I had compared the tangential section to white ash, but wasn't sure. Now, I am more confident. I tried to look at a piece of white ash here, but couldn't see it as well as the photo. I may try to get another photo of some known white ash at work where I have my "laboratory" equipment, i.e. a sharp chisel and a tripod for my camera. :D

Until........

It's ash alright, nothing else fits. But, black ash is light like American elm when dry. White ash is heavy and hard and lustrous, black is dull when worked, no luster. There are parenchyma joining some pores in the white ash and they don't usually do that in black. If you look close to my picture, some looked linked in a chain of pores in the late wood by the parenchyma. Dave's are more solitary, so I would say he has black ash there along with the brown heartwood. White ash would have light yellow streaks in the heartwood, not as dark as black ash.

Then the revelation and proclamation...  :D

It's black ash. Confirmed by R. Bruce Hoadley. :)

Move'n on.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »
I didn't mean to slight the Forums help on the ID. Just the result of hit-and-run posting. Before I started the thread, I thought it was ash, but was vetoed by the architect. That started the whole discussion here. When I got the camera and did the close ups was when we could really get a handle on the situation. I was able to send a sample to Hoadley through a connection and he re-confirmed the popular consensus. You, too were on the black locust path until the pics. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
You, too were on the black locust path until the pics. ;)

Yes, it could have been pine according to some. ;)

I was just giving you a hard time Dave. No one felt slighted on this end. I don't get worked up that easy. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline mandolin

• "I'm old, grouchy and set in my ways"
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
I just sawed up about 300 bf of sweetgum. This looks just like it. Let it lay out in the sun a few days and if it curls up and warps until you could make a wagon wheel out of it, it's sweetgum.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: what do I have here ???
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
I don't think its sweetgum.

Sweetgum isn't ring porous, but diffuse with non visible pores of uniform size across the ring like hard maple and dogwood.
Move'n on.

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Sweetgum is definitely warpy  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
American elm is to, I blame it on the interlock grain. I've never seen one elm board lay flat. That being said, my living room is elm paneling.
Move'n on.

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
I have about had it with interlocked grain wood  >:(.  I have sawn hackberry, sweetgum, and sycamore that looked gorgeous off the saw but ended up with major losses due to warp and twist.  That is too much work for such poor results.  Like was posted earlier, that stuff can warp up in a circle  :).  I made a project out of sycamore and two out of sweetgum.  All three ended up with warp and twist that ruined the pieces.  That stuff just hates to be glued to another board.  I guess they are like identical poles on a magnet, they just repell each other.  That stuff must be perfectly dry, or it will move once you plane it.

Now, I have used hackberry and sycamore successfully as drawer sides where you were only using a single board.  But, my experience has been very poor with any type of glued up panel.  However, I would give it a try as paneling in a room where each board is free to move of its own accord.

There is a reason that interlocked grain domestic wood is mainly used for pallets.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
:D :D I'm hearing ya.

This paneling I'm talking about is veneered like plywood.
Move'n on.

Offline woodtrader

• Member*
    • Share Post
good posts,
thx for sharing

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Help identifying tree (solved Red Maple)

Started by BillB on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 06:46:42 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Solved: Shagbark Hickory

Started by swampwhiteoak on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2001, 08:16:13 PM
by swampwhiteoak
xx
LL's Identification Games (Number 1) - (SOLVED???: pignut hickory)

Started by Lanier_Lurker on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

53 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 08:41:40 AM
by WDH
xx
Looking for hickory and other hardwood logs

Started by Snowbear on Wanted

8 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 03:42:24 PM
by Snowbear