iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what do I have here ??? (a lesson in identifying a hardwood.)**Solved-Hickory**

Started by seacraft18, December 22, 2010, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 22, 2010, 11:21:56 PM
I don't think its sweetgum.

Sweetgum isn't ring porous, but diffuse with non visible pores of uniform size across the ring like hard maple and dogwood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

American elm is to, I blame it on the interlock grain. I've never seen one elm board lay flat. That being said, my living room is elm paneling.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I have about had it with interlocked grain wood  >:(.  I have sawn hackberry, sweetgum, and sycamore that looked gorgeous off the saw but ended up with major losses due to warp and twist.  That is too much work for such poor results.  Like was posted earlier, that stuff can warp up in a circle  :).  I made a project out of sycamore and two out of sweetgum.  All three ended up with warp and twist that ruined the pieces.  That stuff just hates to be glued to another board.  I guess they are like identical poles on a magnet, they just repell each other.  That stuff must be perfectly dry, or it will move once you plane it.

Now, I have used hackberry and sycamore successfully as drawer sides where you were only using a single board.  But, my experience has been very poor with any type of glued up panel.  However, I would give it a try as paneling in a room where each board is free to move of its own accord.

There is a reason that interlocked grain domestic wood is mainly used for pallets.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

:D :D I'm hearing ya.

This paneling I'm talking about is veneered like plywood.

Thank You Sponsors!