iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I buy this Kubota tractor?

Started by Piston, January 01, 2011, 07:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Correct, my Kubota is a GST shift. I'm not sure I use it as I'm supposed to cause I still clutch for every shift.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

shinnlinger

Your looking at a good tractor and you won't regret it, especially with the implements.  My ancient L series has been very good to me.

As a comparision, Koiti is selling brand dk45's with loaders for 18.5k and often factory financing can be pretty good.  The dk is not a hydro tho and is a stripper of a tractor so I don't think you did too bad.

As far as made in the USA goes, no sub 50 horse machine is made in the us.  YOu might argue that the profits end up here with a US company, but even that is a stretch these days with conglomerates. 

All I can really say about tractors is I have never heard a bad thing about Kubotas and Mahindrahs.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Piston

Thanks guys,
Hopefully I'll be posting a pic of my new to me tractor here within the next week!  8)

I'm pretty excited about it.  This is gonna make loading logs on the LT15 a WHOLE lot easier...especially once I get the grapple.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

Well I did it guys..... 8)

This will make handling logs a WHOLE lot easier for me! 

Now I just need to get some action shots! 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Holmes

Nice looking tractor. You will have plenty of snow to move in the morning ,12 to 18 inches .  Have fun   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Tom

Those open, easy access cockpits sure are nice.  It might be the nicest thing about the tractor.   I'm sure it will do what you want it to do if you don't get in a hurry.  I've done it with a lot less.  :)

One thing that you might find handy is a flat-bar for bracing welded along the upper side of the bucket and a locking chain hook welded on it.   It makes it easier to pick up logs without the forks.   Put the skidder hook on a short chain and hook the chain on the hook.  Roll the bucket over and hook the skiddeer hook to the center of the log (balanced as best as you can) and then roll the bucket so that the cutting edge goes under the log and the skidder hook pulls the log up against the sides of the bucket.  The bucket actually ends up holding most of the weight and the skid hook holds it there.

You are probably already aware of losing a load over the top of the bucket.  A log might kill you.   I think I would invest in a 4 point ROPS or at least build a stop of some kind in front of the steering wheel.

Norm

Sweet!

Good move kicking your wife's car outside to make room for it.  ;D

Piston

Quote from: Norm on January 12, 2011, 08:00:34 AM
Sweet!
Good move kicking your wife's car outside to make room for it.  ;D

Here it was this morning....  :D :D

Tom, thanks for the advice.  I've read quite a bit on tractorbynet in the 'safety' forum over there for operating and didn't come across that one yet! 
I am planning on getting a root grapple for the front end to replace the bucket.  The majority of what I'll be doing will be made a lot easier and safer with the grapple. 
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!