Sponsors:

Growing burls

Started by jim king, January 25, 2011, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but they look like aliens.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Yeah, my wife was a resident alien (Canadian) but the naturalization process fixed that!

Jeff

I mean alien as in from another galaxy. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodhick

Following this thread with great interst.  My luck I would forget I shot it and complain about hitting metal in a few years. :D
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Burlkraft

Lead saws up pretty nice  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

iffy

Quote from: Jeff on January 27, 2011, 08:20:13 AM
I mean alien as in from another galaxy. :)
Isn't that still canadian?  :D

jim king

Well the Assassins got back and shot over 150 trees, some had to be shot more than once.  Now it´s all up to BurlKraft crossing his fingers.

I am going out in a few days for photos.

pigman

Quotesome had to be shot more than once
What, were some of the trees fighting back?
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

jim king

QuoteWhat, were some of the trees fighting back?

They had tree huggers in front of them  8)

Burlkraft

Quote from: jim king on January 28, 2011, 02:58:52 PM
QuoteWhat, were some of the trees fighting back?

They had tree huggers in front of them  8)

:D :D :D :D :D

I am anxious to see how this works out   ;D

What kind of trees did they shoot?

Will they grow fast? Hardwood...softwood?

You probably already said, but I am getting very forgetful.

It's either my meds, my age or maybe it's because I got married?  :-X

jim king

I am anxious to see how this works out   

What kind of trees did they shoot?

Will they grow fast? Hardwood...softwood?

You probably already said, but I am getting very forgetful.

QuoteIt's either my meds, my age or maybe it's because I got married?

No need to explain , we understand your circumstances.

High figure hardwoods and we shot the ones in puberty.  In ten years they will be at least 24 inches DBH.  I will probabably 180 inches below DBH.

Burlkraft

Quote from: jim king on January 28, 2011, 06:17:24 PM
High figure hardwoods and we shot the ones in puberty.  In ten years they will be at least 24 inches DBH.  I will probabably 180 inches below DBH.

Is there some one there that's going to keep us updated?  :D :D

jim king

BurlKraft:

As I said before, I have done a lot of crazier things.  I will have DBD measurements, photos of each gunshot and it progress every six months etc. etc...  If this is going to be something you will never have to look for burls again.

fuzzybear

I finally got to read this and boy is it interesting.  It was brought up about battle fields, well that triggered something in this old mind.  Years ago I was very into the Battle at Gettysburg, I toured the battle field from top to bottom over the course of a month. And I do remember their being alot of burls in the trees around the battle field.  I remember one  I believe was a walnut tree very close to "Devils Den". It was a massive burl. and there were others around.
  It would be interesting if some of you guys who live near the battle fields have noticed anything.  My wife also brought up the big burls around Harpers Ferry WV.  Another battle area.
  So the point of all this is....I think maybe you guys are onto something.  I think I'll load up on .22mag shells and start blasting away at some of these Birch trees. ;D
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

jim king

QuoteIs there some one there that's going to keep us updated?

I can´t promise as the doc told me not even to buy green bananas but I have a good group of people and they are as interested as I am.

Bill Gaiche

When you shoot a tree with lead does this cause lead poisning? Or do the trees now have a cancer where shot which turns to a burl? bg

jim king

Best answer I can come up with is ?¿?¿

SPIKER

Quote from: jim king on January 28, 2011, 06:17:24 PMI will probabably 180 inches below DBH.

I guess as long as ya are not 72" below ground level :o   Any day ya wake up on this side of the dirt is a good one for the most part.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Burlkraft

I like the lead causing a cancer burl  ;D  ;D

jim king

The gaurd just came in from the shooting site for his pay and said many of the trees are swelling and look unusual where they were shot  8).   I hope to be able to get away to go out and take photos soon. 

For me it is a one day walk in , one day on site and one day walking out .  Old.

Bill Gaiche

Jim you may want to take the medical examiner with you to make a full investigation, bg

MesquiteSawyer

Very entertaining thread guys. 

I had to add that I was visiting with an older farmer the other day at his house and I noticed he had a 30" mulberry covered in burl in his yard.  I asked him about the tree, and he mentioned that the tree had many boxes of bullets shot into it over the last thirty years.  Didn't think much of it at the time, other than it was a shame it was so full of lead.  Go figure.

I am headed into the woods to test this myself.  It did occur to me that you guys are all going to corner the market on burl in a year or two and we won't be able to give it away!   High class worry I suppose.  :-)

-Mark

asca65290

I got a kick out of reading this thread.  I never would have guessed about shooting trees and creating burls!  Since there haven't been any postings on this topic for a few months, I thought I would ask: Is there any update?

wesdor

Trying to get this thread started again to see if anyone can report. I believe we have lost Jim King, but hopefully someone else can provide some information

Do any of you have "man made" burls starting to grow? 

SPIKER

Does not seem like the thread was this old, when I saw it I remembered it right away.   Did not remember Kim King passing but see the Forum has him listed in memorandum?
I have some shot up red oak, no burls yet after a year or two...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!