The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Think a new project beginning to shape up....some blend of 268/272 stuff...  (Read 17849 times)

Offline Ed

• Share Post
Nice thread!  More pics of the saws at work would be icing on the cake...and I do like icing...    ;D

Hey there stranger! Sent you a pm.

Ed

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
smh,welcome to the forum.Good luck with that Husky 61.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline smh

• "..trust me.."
    • Share Post
smh,welcome to the forum.Good luck with that Husky 61.

Thanks! Using info I learned here I did do a 272 'upgrade' (p&c) & muffler mod. The only deviation was I used a hs-224 carb, instead of using the factory 272 hs-260. Reason being I didn't want to hack-up the stock '61 top cover. And, I guess, using the -260 there was that possibility (different filter set-up)? I dunno, but this worked nicely. One question: Does anyone know if there is a performance penalty for that substitution?
In any case, the saw started third pull, runs great. A minor carb adjust to the L seemed to help in the lower rpms. That's all I did. Did I mention it runs great :-)  And a noticeably deeper exhaust tone, too.
husky 61   -   old school mods
husky 272 -   heavy metal mods
husky 4 parts-uh oh oops
stihl 180c  -   what will it be when it grows up?

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
Post pics! I did mine (1978 vintage 61 with a low profile white cover)  and hacked the cover for visual effect more than anything else. Mine was the older style cover so it didn't clear the fins or the spark plug. I posted its build around here somewhere a couple of years back. Its a solid and practical build....they do respond well to certain muffler mods in my experience. Also the old style intake horn and filter can be hogged out and seems to match the later 272 versions (posted pics of that somewhere too)..at least the saw performs well enough you can't really tell the difference vs. my more normal 272's. Did a 266 as well last fall....same thing. Solid performer. Love this 200 series line of saws to hack around with, glad you (And others) have rediscovered these and having fun with them.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline smh

• "..trust me.."
    • Share Post
I agree on all accounts, weimedog. Until I got into these saws I didn't realize how 'Chevy-like' Husky's are. Meaning that, within the various model runs, you can mix-and-match components to your liking. And that makes tinkering easy and fun for the average Joe. That's just plain cool.

So, the attached pic shows the '61 in midst of teardown. ...oops, either I'm disallowed from uploading or I just don't know how. Sorry, no pic :-(
Anyway, the best metric I have to gauge total usage is by number of chords over its lifetime; I estimate 200 chords of wood in 10 years, which I believe is realistic, if not conservative.
The piston and cylinder are both B grade". The piston fits snug in the bore. Using a cheap digital mic, I measured .002-.003 p-to-c. The factory cylinder crosshatch pattern is still visible on the wearing surfaces.
The piston wear pattern is light, imo. And, despite a steady diet of 25-to-1 oil mix of various pedigree, there was minimal carbon, the heaviest of which was in the exhaust port. The piston top and combustion chamber had almost no carbon, more like soot. The cylinder ring has slight blackening on parts of the ring, no carbon in the ring land.
I guess that's it.
husky 61   -   old school mods
husky 272 -   heavy metal mods
husky 4 parts-uh oh oops
stihl 180c  -   what will it be when it grows up?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Project almost done and the beginning of the end.

Started by Kingcha on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 02:21:10 PM
by Kingcha
xx
The beginning of my lastest unfinished project

Started by Sixacresand on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 10:58:20 AM
by sandhills
xx
Echo Power Blend Oil