iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real music from real musicians

Started by Norm, February 06, 2011, 12:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

log dog, did you ever hear of a band called turnpike trubadours. they have a song or two about your neck of the woods. i think one of the members or more are from haughton.
they play what i call red dirt music. others were from the broken bow okla. area. anyway great music.

they have a shop not far from here that makes the hammer dulcimers, we have went by to see the shop before, not musically inclined but i do covet their woodshop... man do they have some tooling.

sandhills

I couldn't get Planmans song to play, my computer is pretty old.  Ely, I really like the red dirt bands but haven't heard of the turnpike trubadours, have to google it tonight.  Can someone tell me what a hammer dulcimer is?  I'm not very musically inclined either but love to listen to most types.

Norm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammered_dulcimer

Do you have a picture of the one you built Wayne?

To say I'm not very musically inclined would be an understatement. Like I said earlier I know I'll never need to worry about performing but I really don't care. I just like music and I'm getting to a point in my life where I have a little more free time to do things like this.

Warbird

One of the best guitar performances I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM

I would love to hear him live.  If you click some of the related links, you will hear some pretty good free lance musicians doing their renditions of the same work.

pineywoods

Norm, here's a pic of the hammered dulcimer I built. Wish learning to play was as easy as building  :( .  These instruments go back thousands of years, mentioned in the bible. Called a psaltry.

Wikipedia doesn't even mention Alicia Jones, whom I consider one of the best players. She's the daughter of an old hillbilly banjo player named Grampa Jones.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

Thanks for the pictures guys, I've seen them before, guess I didn't know what they were called, Pineywoods that's very nice work.
Warbird thanks for the video, I have to show that one to my stepson, knowing him he'll be able to do that in a few weeks after watching it :D

Brucer

Norm, if you like SRV, you might want to check out Colin James.

For you blues fans, a few other names you may want to check out.

Jim Byrnes.
Sue Foley.
Jeff Healey.
Susan Tedeschi.
Rachelle van Zanten.

All except for Susan are Canadian blues artists (Jim was born in Missouri but has lived in Canada for 40-odd years). Jeff died from cancer two years ago at the age of 42 :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Raider Bill

Quote from: Warbird on February 07, 2011, 05:53:27 PM
One of the best guitar performances I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM

I would love to hear him live.  If you click some of the related links, you will hear some pretty good free lance musicians doing their renditions of the same work.

Roger that Warbird! I saw him years ago! Played this song too! 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jeff

Frank Zappa had it pegged 25 years ago what was happening with commercial music. He was one bright Cat. Who else could name his kids Moonunit, Dweezle Ahmet and Diva Thin Muffin?  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4wsURn3rw
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

anyone that was in the habit of using acid jeff. :D

Jeff

Sorry, but you have your music history wrong. Zappa was another of the old rockers like Ted Nugent, and later on Gene Simons that were anti drugs, but Zappa did admit to using pot a couple times early in his life.  He was also famous for the quote about people on drugs as "a-holes in action"'

ely

well i hope they never run for public office, those folks that claim they were drug free, because it will eventually come out.

Jeff

Being a teen in the 70's  I know there are very few of us that can cast the first stone at those that may have chosen to abstain. I certainly cant.  I'd vote for Nugent in a heart beat.

Back  to  the   Music....    Back  to  the Music...

Norm

You guys remember the 70's! It was a bit of a blur but some how I got my act together got married and got a corporate job. My  in-laws were almost as surprised as I was.  :D

Another neat thing the internet has done is make collaborations possible by members so many miles away. Jill is in Atlanta and Ed is in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJdvsZRbYs

isawlogs

A bit of a blur is an understatement at the very least , but I do love music  8)  Just can't hold a tune if my life depended on it  candle_smiley
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!