iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

caught supper today

Started by laffs, March 05, 2011, 09:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laffs

went down to the ice shack this morning first fish was a 4lb smallmouth i put him back for later.
then i picked up this 16" brook trout, he went home with me
caught the 2 pickerel and left them on the ice for the eagles

this is where i spend a lot of time because the snow is to deep

sit in the shake play some cribbage and wait for th fish
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

CX3

Cool pics.  I bet that little stove will flat run you outta that shack
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Mooseherder

Looks like fun. :)
Nice Jeep also.

Tom

Pickeral like that caught here in Florida (Redfin and Chain Pickeral) are choice fare.  They don't get big, but they sure are good.  There is a trick to getting the long bones out of the fillets.  I don't know what it is and just eat around them.  :D

laffs

the stove i made from an old gas grill i only have to run one side of the burner, the shack is 6'x6'

the pickerel have to many bones for me, ive heard something about soaking them in milk? and some take the big bones out then run the rest through one of those hand crank meat grinders and make fish patties
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Tom

Oooooee-e-e-e!   I'll bet they'd make some fine Salmon Croquets.  ;D

laffs

heres some fishermen coming in by plane

Woodhauler

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

fishpharmer

Laffs, nice pics! How thick is the ice under your shack?

Love the looks of those Brook Trout.  Someday, maybe, I'll catch one.

What do you use for bait?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

laffs

yep Ron etna pond lots of people fishing it this year

James the ice is about 2ft thick right now, neighbor has been catching some redfin shinners and a few suckers. we lost about 6" of snow over night and its gonna rain some more this week so its gonna get slushy by the end of the week.

spring is gonna happen, i had my doubts. its terrible when you look forward to mud season.

treefarmer87

we have those pickerel in our lake on the farm
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

gunman63

we pickle  pike that size , and that  gets rid of all the  bones.

fishpharmer

Quote from: gunman63 on March 23, 2011, 07:53:22 PM

That begs for a ryhme..... we pickled a pint of pike from the dike....  ;D or something like that? ???

I would be interested in your pickling recipe.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Sparty

Pike and pickeral are very good to eat and not too hard to fillet:
Set the fish on its belly. A couple inches behind its head, cut straight down to the backbone and follow it back to the adipose fin (that little one in front of the tail).  This fillet essentially cuts the top of the pike's back off.  There will be a thin line of cartalige down the middle of this fillet.  Cut it out and you have 2 tenderloin fillets from the back.  Now, feel along the back of the pike where you just took off the first cut.  Just outside of the backbone you will feel lines of bones.  These are the Y bones that everyone hates in pike.  Start your cuts for the side fillets just outside of the Y bones.  These will look like traditional fillets from the sides of the fish.  You should end up with 4 fillets (2 narrow ones from the back, and 2 from the sides)The Y bones will be left in the carcass next to the backbone.  This probably sounds harder than it is, but try it a few times and you will wonder why you ever threw one back.

gunman63

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 25, 2011, 08:09:32 AM
Quote from: gunman63 on March 23, 2011, 07:53:22 PM

That begs for a ryhme..... we pickled a pint of pike from the dike....  ;D or something like that? ???

I would be interested in your pickling recipe.

I'll see if i can find it  for ya.

Thank You Sponsors!