The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Turkey hunters vs. Wily Coyote...  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Turkey hunters vs. Wily Coyote...
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
That's a good point about feral cats. I shoot any I see on our place.

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
not really considered a threat or a predator but i have seen a few cougar attacks, and yes they will jump you from behind. ;D thats for you doc.

the yotes and bobcats here are always looking for the turkeys when we call em in. if we are predator calling this time of year, i usually start with the box call.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:17 AM »
Ron-

Interesting tale.  I am not surprised that a mother bobcat protected her young.  That instinct amongst predators is universal, I think.  I am told we have bobcat here.  I have never seen one.  I put up a game cam on several of the trails through my woods, and i've seen a wide variety of critters, but no bobcat.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »
According to the "River Hills" article, statistics show a decline in harvested turkeys in Missouri, the numbers have dropped fom 72,000 birds in 2005 down to 54,000 in 2010. Further info says turkey decline is also recorded in South Carollina, Mississippi, and Arkansas; but, apparently, the greatest decline of turkeys harvested is in East Texas. The authorites there are considering closing turkey season in 15 counties! Confounding the situation, turkeys are doing very well in parts of the west with Nebraska increased a whopping 500% in one year!

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
chain
Does MO have a registration system for turkey's harvested?  

And do the numbers follow the fire ant growth problem?

But I see a DNR request for more federal funding to "research" the situation.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
I think also you have to keep in mind that nesting conditions and how harsh the winters are is the biggest driver of our wintering bird populations. We've had three harsh winters in a row and to see a pheasant is uncommon now. Everyone I talked to about it after harvest this year remarked on how few they saw. Turkeys are a tougher bird but heavy snow pack has to be hard on them too.

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »
chain
Does MO have a registration system for turkey's harvested?  

And do the numbers follow the fire ant growth problem?

But I see a DNR request for more federal funding to "research" the situation.  ;D

So far as I know there are no fire ants in Missouri. Yes we have a registration system. Spring & fall turkey season I believe three weeks each with youth hunts one weekend each. Then, the predator and poaching seasons kick in 24-7. Biologists say, "when you have an abundance of turkeys this is soon followed by an abundance of predators."

For the wintering issue, Nebraska, Wisconsin and other northern States have good turkey reproduction, those winters are much longer and colder than southern Missouri.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
Our turkey numbers have been on a decrease here in northern lower Michigan for the last few years for whatever reasons of weather, predators, etc. The MDNR has not been able to really determine the reason. They have been trapping and transferring birds from southern lower Michigan where the turkeys are more plentiful to areas here in the northern lower.

We have not had a fall turkey season here for the past 3 years or so. There has been no shooting of the hens.
~Ron

Offline Woodcarver

• "A country boy can survive"
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
I haven't seen a DNR estimate of the numbers in this area, but the population appears to be dropping here, too. I used to see and hear turkeys regularily, especially when deer hunting.  I haven't seen or heard any the last two hunting seasons and I haven't seen turkey sign in the woods either. 

I don't hunt turkeys, but I have several acquaintances who do.  They are all reporting lower numbers.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
It's my understanding that the population is controlled primarily by disease in the adults and predators interfering with nesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Kansas

• In Memoriam
  • In the mountains of Kansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:35 PM »
I ran a turkey through a swather once. Just a tad bit noisy.  Alfalfa field, small square baled it. About late January or thereabouts I broke open a bale for some calves. Feathers everywhere. Around here, its basically open season on turkeys. A lot of us are convinced they have decimated the prairie chicken population, along with quail and pheasants. I got em all over the farm. Turkeys are extremely destructive to young crops. Around here, you get caught poaching quail or pheasants, farmers will turn you in. They catch you poaching a turkey, they will turn you around and make you go shoot another one.

Online Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »
I ran a turkey through a swather once. Just a tad bit noisy.  Alfalfa field, small square baled it. About late January or thereabouts I broke open a bale for some calves. Feathers everywhere. Around here, its basically open season on turkeys. A lot of us are convinced they have decimated the prairie chicken population, along with quail and pheasants. I got em all over the farm. Turkeys are extremely destructive to young crops. Around here, you get caught poaching quail or pheasants, farmers will turn you in. They catch you poaching a turkey, they will turn you around and make you go shoot another one.

In this area, we find that the Canada Geese are far more destructive on young crops than the turkeys are!

The geese will eat a lot of young seedlings, and they will usually pull them up by the roots.

A lot of the geese in this area will spend the summer in the farmers hay fields.  The geese don't go as far North as they used too!

Some of the farmers will obtain nusence permits to avoid some of the crop damage!

After that the geese become bait and coyotes are thinned out a little and the turkey population increases!  ;D
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »
Turkeys are classed as Big Game here. Its a $300.00 fine as a minimum if you shoot one illegally.
~Ron

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
  Feral cats, raccoons and opossums do the most damage here in Arkansas.  I have several turkeys at the mill but none on the farm.  I had a covey of quail at the mill and they started thinning out.  I trapped several house cats that I did not even know was around.  The low prices on pelts keeps many from hunting or trapping coons and possums so their numbers are getting high.  
  The State G&F say the turkeys are not doing well here but I see no evidence here.  I work on the predators every chance I get.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
I work on the predictors every chance I get.

Dotto - very chance I get.

Bruce

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
  Coyote season runs at the same time as turkey season here in Arkansas so if Wily comes by you can blast him legally.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
We can shoot coyotes year round.   ;D

My 22 magnum stays ready for them and wild dogs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Good Luck Turkey Hunters

Started by Woodboogah on The Outdoor Board

0 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 10:25:50 AM
by Woodboogah
xx
Attention Forestry Forum Turkey Hunters!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm on Shows, Events and Places to meet

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 05:02:17 PM
by DeerMeadowFarm
xx
Elk hunters ???

Started by shortlogger on The Outdoor Board

33 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 12:13:47 AM
by redprospector
xx
Bow Hunters