The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Woodstove fired kiln  (Read 3606 times)

Offline peterduncan

• Share Post
Woodstove fired kiln
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:58:45 AM »
I have built a solar kiln and I am planning on aiding the drying process by supplementing it with a woodstove. Has anyone hyad any experience with doing this or can anyone lead me to some information that is not 400 pages long?.... ???Peter

Offline laffs

• Share Post
Re: Woodstove fired kiln
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
id say go through all the past archives, it doesnt take to long to pick out the topics that interest you, and therees a lot of good reading.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
That's a good question. It could be doable, however what I would do is put the stove in a separate room and blow the hot air into the drying room so it would be more even.

Another issue would be keeping the wood from drying out too fast, not sure how you would do that without being there to keep an eye on the humidity all the time.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline lt70guy

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »
I built a kiln which uses my woodburner for heat.  It works quite well.  The kiln holds about 7000bf.  I can dry green Oak 4/4 lumber in about 30 days.  Poplar in about 3 weeks.  Pine in about 10 days.  I use water heated by the furnace.  The water is pumped through a 216K BTU exchanger which is connected to a thermostat.  Took awhile to learn how to use it and I destroyed some low grade lumber learning how to use it but now have it down to a science.  Even air flow is important.  For 4/4 lumber temperature is slowly raised from outside air temperature to 128 degrees over three weeks.  The final week stays at 128 degrees and then the kiln is allowed to slowly drop back to outside air temperature before unloading.  Thicker lumber requires a slower rise in temperature.  I can go higher on the temperature but find its not really necessary.  I simply use 4 large electric fans along with about 12 small box fans.  Uses about $75 worth of electricity a month.  I burn slabs and scrap wood from my sawmill so there is very little cost for me for the wood used for the furnace.  I've been using the kiln nearly non stop for about 3 years now with very good results.  I've dried everything from thin 1/4" lumber to 3" thick turning stock. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
I'd sure lke to see pics of your setup lt70guy.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline lt70guy

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »
I'd sure lke to see pics of your setup lt70guy.

I'll take a few pics of the system and see if I can post them here.  I started a cycle on the 12th so it will be a few weeks before I can open it up again and get a few pics.  Basically its a 14 X 20 X 12' building.  Insulated heavily.  Two 8' wide 10' tall swinging doors.  I wish I had either just made the kiln 10' tall or the doors the full 12' high.  Would make it a lot easier to load the front.  I load with a forklift.  I also think if I had to do it over I would not make it as deep.  10' deep and 10' high and 22' wide would be perfect.  This would hold 8 bundles of 4' high sticked lumber of either 8', 10' or a combination easily. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wood Fired Kiln

Started by Todd on Drying and Processing

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2005, 08:26:49 AM
by Todd
xx
Wood fired dry kiln

Started by Eljay on Drying and Processing

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 07:17:04 PM
by Troublermaker