iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices?

Started by jerryatric, May 01, 2011, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: mudfarmer on May 16, 2023, 07:39:31 PM
Probably good to be skeptical of people on youtube with all the newest stuff that are doing something like farming or logging. Not a comment on who you are talking about because I didnt look, but a comment in general... You never know their situation, some inherited money, some worked hard for it but doing something else, some financed a $1.3M combine to harvest $8 beans :o did well in the stock market, slipped on peepee at the costco and got a settlement check, etc etc etc. If he sold 100k ft of walnut and oak --- did he buy the stumpage? If so that tells you where the new tigercats came from, he already had money and who knows where it came from. He could be buying 100k ft for $2/bf and selling for $2.01/bf for all we know.
Very true and agreed. I'm just going off what I see. I don't spend money off anyone's actions or opinions😂 No offense to anyone! Lol

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 16, 2023, 07:46:07 PM
This region we cut 60% pulp and I haven't seen anybody worried about anything. For the most part nobody has cut a stick of wood in 8 or so weeks because of load restrictions and spring melt and it's business as usual, equipment is getting repaired, new machines are arriving, new machines are getting ordered, etc. Sales being sold on 2 year contract are still bringing good money.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that guys aren't getting at least a little concerned, expecially with thousands and thousands of cords of pulp yarded up all over that still needs to be hauled to the mill.
They have to be optimistic and climb the mountain when it comes. Around here anyways guys can't just put the old chainsaw in the shed and park the 230 cable Skidder and ride it out. 

customsawyer

This industry has always had ups and downs. I think back to when covid first hit and everyone was talking about the "new normal". I think the wood business as a whole is going to have to find a new normal. Some stuff I'm selling so fast I can't produce it fast enough and can't find anywhere to buy it. Other products I can't give away. All I know to do is keep plugging away and make the most of it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 16, 2023, 07:48:53 PM
Quote from: mudfarmer on May 16, 2023, 07:39:31 PM
Probably good to be skeptical of people on youtube with all the newest stuff that are doing something like farming or logging. Not a comment on who you are talking about because I didnt look, but a comment in general... You never know their situation, some inherited money, some worked hard for it but doing something else, some financed a $1.3M combine to harvest $8 beans :o did well in the stock market, slipped on peepee at the costco and got a settlement check, etc etc etc. If he sold 100k ft of walnut and oak --- did he buy the stumpage? If so that tells you where the new tigercats came from, he already had money and who knows where it came from. He could be buying 100k ft for $2/bf and selling for $2.01/bf for all we know.
Very true and agreed. I'm just going off what I see. I don't spend money off anyone's actions or opinions😂 No offense to anyone! Lol
I think you'd have to be a nimnut to cut a whiteoak job and not do pretty well on it these days.
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

The guy i run processor for just signed on the line for a new Scorpion, which has quite a lead time on it.

His words to me were "you have to keep moving forward and be ready to cut wood". I just laughed.

I can't say too much we just signed a purchase agreement for 280+ acres of farm ground adjacent to this farm. Cattle prices are projected to stay high for 2+ more years so we figured we would take a giant leap.

nativewolf

Darn that's a nice spread Chevy!  Congratulations!
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 16, 2023, 08:28:51 PM
The guy i run processor for just signed on the line for a new Scorpion, which has quite a lead time on it.

His words to me were "you have to keep moving forward and be ready to cut wood". I just laughed.

I can't say too much we just signed a purchase agreement for 280+ acres of farm ground adjacent to this farm. Cattle prices are projected to stay high for 2+ more years so we figured we would take a giant leap.
That's just it. You can't think about going backwards. Just watch every step as you march forwarder. You may trip, you may fall but you gotta keep going. 

Firewoodjoe

My problem is I have alot to learn about the paper work and marketing. 

nativewolf

you will make more money with the phone than the saw
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

I don't care how optimistic guys wanna make this sound, I'm watching stuff go for sale, 6 months ago I couldn't find a low hour J, now pick which one you want. Pulp just took a hit up north, finch down here is still taking it but for how long. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 16, 2023, 08:28:51 PM

Congratulations!!

nativewolf

Southern PA mills are looking or RO, one called us offering $900/mbf and still buying RO veneer at $1500.   Frankly that is above most of the 2017-2022.  I was surprised.    YP is still off the highs but they offered $800/mbf.  That's pricing on good clean logs.  
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

It must be ok because they have me in oak and I believe the other crews are also. Or at least a mix. 

customsawyer

I don't think there is any figuring the market now. Every time I start thinking I have it figured out it makes a fool out of me. I have learned that if I don't worry about it to much and just follow the market, I come out alright. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

nativewolf

Yes that is the truth @customsawyer , we thought RO would be in the toliet...here is a huge mill calling desperately to find some logs.  Bizarre market.
Liking Walnut

moodnacreek

Coming down from camp today on 87 and seeing back hauls of hardwood logs going up. Must mean a price increase.

Walnut Beast

This is a standing timber appraisal of a place I'm possibly looking at. I was taking to a log buyer today ( not the one I had). Good long talk on several things and this included. He was able to pull this up of what I was talking about in our conversation on the standing timber price evaluation. Any thoughts on evaluations like this from others. 

stavebuyer

I always like to know the number of trees and diameter averages as well as the distribution for each diameter class. I also like to know what the white oak sub species are as that is where the money is on that tract. Quercus Alba and Chinkapin are worth a lot more than Post Oak and Bur oak.

Southside

In terms of gross numbers that's about what one would see around here stumpage value wise on that number of acres of nice mixed timber. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

stavebuyer

Demand for flooring lumber has been one of the few bright spots in domestic hardwood lumber. The main buyer at a very large regional flooring plant recently commented that "sticks are the only item in short supply". Translation "the yard is full" and they don't need any lumber.

The market always cycles. My opinion is that most domestic log prices will continue to soften to match the wholesale lumber market going into summer. The market will turn when inventory levels drop to where some items are hard to come by for wholesale lumber buyers and then a panic will ensue to the upside so as not to miss out on the bargains. 

Walnut Beast

The buyer I talked to said they are done for the season but still had over 200k+bf of walnut they haven't got to yet

ehp

everything looks ok but I would want to know how good the white oak is and see how accurate the scale is to what you are really going to cut out of that stuff 

Walnut Beast

Waiting back for a call from the company that did the appraisal for the detailed DBH and several other questions

ehp

WB one thing I have learned over the years is lots of foresters honestly have very little knowledge on grade of timber which really makes no sense cause their the ones putting the price tag on the standing timber , seen lots put the top butt log price for the whole tree and there sure is a huge difference between a good butt log compared to the last upper pallet log , we got foresters up here right now saying red oak is $875/1000 standing and they wonder why no one is buying their wood lots 

ehp

Still moving some white oak veneer but not much else 

Thank You Sponsors!