The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Question for portable sawyers  (Read 5270 times)

Offline AtLast

• Dis-member-ed
    • Share Post
Re: Question for portable sawyers
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2004, 09:16:14 PM »
WHen I first started sawing portable it was a problem...but I quickly learned a system. I have a tool box on my truck ( typical style for PU trucks) which by the way was donated by DELTA/SEARS...I keep tools...chainsaws....lube...etc etc in it constantly.....our generator is chained to the truck so it stays in the truck...the only thing I have to " load" is extra water jugs and gas for the mill...chainsaws...gen...and sawhorses and extra blades. I always have thos items set and ready to load in the morning. I ALWAYS have bottled water for us...and most of the time we carry a small camp stove and take a noon break to cook up some vittles....in the winter theres nothing quite like a bowl of hot soup and coffee...I think thats my dads favorite job...so he's the desiginated cook....which is fine with me...id probably burn it  :DI ALWAYS relieve the blade tension at the end of the day. Ill try to find the link but I read an article pertaining just to that subject and it explained why its a good idea. In the warmer mnths I use water /dish soap and my blades typically get a slight rust but that quickly disappears once it commences to cuttin again.

Offline Bigdogpc

• Full Member x2
  • 1220 Timberking owner
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 08:44:11 AM »
My mill is stationary.  It is also a two hour drive from my house.  I ALWAYS need some little widget that is at the house when I am at the mill or vise versa.

I will leave tension on the blade over night with no adverse problems noted as yet.  I do my best NOT to leave the tension on if I'm not coming back the next day.

I run water and dishsoap as a coolant and all the blades have rusted.

Good luck!

Offline bull

• im getting board on a daily basis †ho hum
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2004, 10:49:58 AM »
my mill stays set up right next to the barn
If someone wants there logs cut its a hell of alot cheaper to pay a trucker to bring them to the mill then for me to move..
I charge $ 50.00 an hour to move and return and .30 a bfd to Saw.in an 8 hour day they save $ 400.  I can have 4000 Bfd... trucked in for $150.. only had one job off the farm since I bought the mill !! 8)

Offline Captain

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 04:17:02 PM »
I did not realize that my wife had snapped this picture.  

This was taken during our winter thaw right after Christmas.  The log I am sawing is a 51" (butt end) Tulip Poplar.  Our own Forestry Forum Timber Framer Jim Rogers got me the job (thanks Jim!!).

Anyhow, to the thread, this is the trailer that I mentioned in my earlier post, to all of you swing bladers.  I have the vinyl letters cut to put on for advertising, but I have not got it done yet!!! Everything is locked and secure, or so I thought.  This was taken the day I realized that I had been violated and 2 Stihl saws stolen, the trailer was broken into by cutting off the padlock.  The Husky on the ground belonged to the customer.

Anyhow, we are resolving those padlock issues currently while the weather is cold and the jobs are sparse.

Stay warm!!!

Captain

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 04:50:35 PM »
I would call that a whack o log. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline oakiemac

• Senior Member x2
  • God bless the U.S.A!
    • Share Post
    • Hickoryandoak
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
Hey Atlast, why do you take a generator with you?
Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Question for the portable sawyers.

Started by Dustin on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post January 14, 2020, 09:26:29 PM
by WV Sawmiller
xx
To the portable sawyers......

Started by hunz on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post December 15, 2014, 01:08:19 AM
by JustinW_NZ
xx
Portable Sawyers -- How far do/will you go to do a job?

Started by DR_Buck on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 07:45:16 AM
by Stephen1
xx
Portable sawyers gadgets

Started by KiwiJake on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2003, 06:57:31 AM
by Mark M