iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aahh! The Smell of Fresh Sawn Douglas Fir!

Started by Firebass, May 24, 2011, 02:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

Well my lumber pile started getting a bit thin so I fired up the mill this weekend and blew chips all over the place! smiley_roller

I forgot how much fun the old Firebass mill was. 

Anyone complete any of they're swingmill builds yet?  I've been away for a while and haven't checked in much. 

Firebass

newday89

Lol, its funny you should post this Firebass....I've been scouring the internet for many many hours looking for some swing mill plans or info. I currently have a bandsaw and I want to move up to a swingblade.. I cannot afford the pricetag of a peterson but I have the resources to fabricate one ..do you offer plans or can you point me in the right direction to websites ? What specific motor and blade would you recommend for the saw...I have seen your mill in action and if I could copy that exactly that would be great..any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. There are not Many of you out there..Not that I can find...Thanks , Dan

sgschwend

FB,

I have slowed down on the mill, mostly because it nearly completed.  Business is slow here due to the weather and the US economy, but I have ran several jobs with the mill. 

Update since you were last here:  I have added a wide slabber attachment and the mill has hydraulic dogging.  I have constructed a set of casters that mount upside down on the frame and these should allow me to rotate the log and make specials parts (and idea I pickup from Weisyboy).

Material handling is my biggest time waister.  When I was a portable I didn't need to mess with sawdust and slabs.  Now I do. 

Anyway good to hear your back.

Steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Firebass

newday89,
There's was a period during my build and a year or so after which  many questions were brought up regarding building a swingmill.   There were quite a few members that were building swingmills here and to my knowledge only a few finished.   Hence.. my question anyone get there mills up and running?  I suggest you do a search for "swingmill"  and read everything in the archives you can.  And yes if you still have questions I will help if and when I can.

sgschwend,
Wow that would be nice having all what you've added to your mill....  I know what you mean it takes longer to clean up the mess than it does to saw.   Hopefully this economy will recover.  And spring brings you some customers.   I don't think we saw the sun more than 2 days all winter thru early spring down here. 
  I finally finished my loader on the back of my rig.   Works great!  I can lift a 24"X12' long fir.  Plus I can move my chip pile way easier than before.  People crack up when they see the loader on the back of my 4x. I had to beef up the bucket a bit and I added some tusk.  I don't know how I managed without it.

Thanks for the welcome back.  To be honest I've been consumed lately building a CNC Milling machine, but thats done and it's time for a new project.....

Firebass   

captain_crunch

Please add 2 extensions (removable if nessarey fer cleance) too prevent log going over bucket and landing in yer hip pocket ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Firebass

Quote from: captain_crunch on May 25, 2011, 01:22:49 AM
Please add 2 extensions (removable if nessarey fer cleance) too prevent log going over bucket and landing in yer hip pocket ::) ::)

Thanks for the concern.   The bucket only lifts about 4' so the boom keeps a log from smashing me.    

newday89,  I didnt mean to brush you off.  What I was trying to say is theres more information here on the forestry forum than anywhere on the net on swingmills.  To your question "how big of blade?" I'd say 21 1/2"(8" Machine) Lucas or Peterson, Theres problems that start to arise once you start going bigger because gravity pulls the blade down in the horizontal position.  Thats just my own opinion.  and to "what motor?" I love my Kohler Command 25hp but theres many others that work too.  Plans? No.. I've posted some sketches of my "jack shaft" design and you are welcome to use it.  Its a good solid setup and I'd do it again if I was to make another machine.https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15613.msg221952.html#msg221952

FB :)

newday89

Thank You Sponsors!