The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: I bought a LT15 Electric today  (Read 3907 times)

Offline caver

• Share Post
    • Cavers travels
Re: I bought a LT15 Electric today
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 12:44:19 AM »
You can get retractable cord reels for the electric feed. We used one to replace a ribbon cable/festoon assembly at work for a large crane trolley. I was skeptical that it would work but it never gives us any problems.
Baker HD18

Offline sst04

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 12:44:55 AM »
So after you bought/loaded it did you put the pedal to the floor board.   Like in a smokey the bandit movie? :D

No, I was too scared to sling it out of the bed of the truck :D,  I did not realize how big it was, so I did not take the trailer, when I saw it I was looking like :o.  

With it all loaded, i could not fit another hair in the back of the F150.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
sst,

If Baldwin County is like Houston County just south of you, you cannot saw your own lumber to build a house unless it has been graded and stamped.  Each and every board.  You can arrange for a Southern Pine Inspection Bureau lumber grader to come to your site and grade the lumber.  If the logs don't cost much or are free, this can work out well.  If you had to buy the logs more at market value, you could actually go to the building store and buy the wood cheaper.  Go figure........The big pine mills are so efficient that a small portable mill cannot compete with them on a heads up basis.  At the best mills, the cost to saw lumber is $.10/BF or a little less.  Even the more inefficient mills are in the $.12/BF - $14/BF range.  But, there are other valid reasons for cutting your own framing lumber even if it is not cheaper than store bought.

Congratulations on the mill.  If you want to come to Perry, I can show you what I know about sawing lumber on a LT15, although mine is the 15 HP gas, not electric.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline sst04

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
sst,

If Baldwin County is like Houston County just south of you, you cannot saw your own lumber to build a house unless it has been graded and stamped.  Each and every board.  You can arrange for a Southern Pine Inspection Bureau lumber grader to come to your site and grade the lumber.  If the logs don't cost much or are free, this can work out well.  If you had to buy the logs more at market value, you could actually go to the building store and buy the wood cheaper.  Go figure........The big pine mills are so efficient that a small portable mill cannot compete with them on a heads up basis.  At the best mills, the cost to saw lumber is $.10/BF or a little less.  Even the more inefficient mills are in the $.12/BF - $14/BF range.  But, there are other valid reasons for cutting your own framing lumber even if it is not cheaper than store bought.

Congratulations on the mill.  If you want to come to Perry, I can show you what I know about sawing lumber on a LT15, although mine is the 15 HP gas, not electric.

Thanks for the info.  I have spoken to a lumber grading company and they said they would come and grade the wood here at my place. 

Yes,All of the wood will be free.

Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on that.   On thing you could tell me is what is a good working height for the bed.  A height where it is still comfortable to work the hand crank but not have to bend to the ground to pick up boards.  I have a winch I was planning on mounting to skid the logs onto the mill.  I will build some ramps for the logs also.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Mine is only a couple of inches from the ground, but that makes it a snap to load logs on the mill.  I have heard that about knee high is a good height if you want to elevate your mill.  A higher working height makes it easy to offbear the boards but it makes loading and turning the logs more difficult, so there is a trade off.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Ted J

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I have spoken to a lumber grading company and they said they would come and grade the wood here at my place.  

Yes,All of the wood will be free.

Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on that.   On thing you could tell me is what is a good working height for the bed.  A height where it is still comfortable to work the hand crank but not have to bend to the ground to pick up boards.  I have a winch I was planning on mounting to skid the logs onto the mill.  I will build some ramps for the logs also.

I elevated mine up about 16 inches to make it easier to clean under with the blower and/or a push broom.

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy!

Ted

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bought an LT15

Started by mdennisusa1 on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 09:07:27 PM
by mdennisusa1
cheesy
Help I Bought A WoodMizer LT15

Started by Hyrb on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post February 25, 2019, 09:14:45 PM
by Hyrb