iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do not do this

Started by badpenny, June 06, 2011, 11:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpenny

Entirely my own fault, ripping a 45 angle on a short board, blade too high, pushing from side instead of from the end, and the blade took out the tendons on the back of my ring and middle fingers of the left hand. One ambulance ride, and surgery Saturday nite to put them back together, and I am home recuperating. No major pain, advil is all I'm taking, but learning to do things one handed is not easy. Not looking for sympathy what I did was dumb, I knew better, late in the day, and one split second of in=attention was all it took.  Please be careful out there
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

doctorb

Well, let me cheer you up.  The tendons on the back of the hand and wrist are called extensor tendons.  They do not need a lot of power as their only functions are to position the wrist and open your hand.  Extensor tendon injuries have some of the best recoveries, especially when compared to flexor tendon injuries of the hand and wrist.  So, take heart, it could have been a lot worse.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

badpenny

Thanks, doc. Good to know.

i have a follow up next Tue. Will know more then, she said 5 to 6 weeks in a cast to heal, then some rehab. More frustrating than anything else at this point. Hope I will still be able to use a chainsaw.

doctorb

I would be very surprised if you don't get a future chance at another power tool injury. ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

Don't know where your cuts are located on your hand, but mine healed perfectly well, other than a little calcification of the knuckles where the damage occurred.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

badpenny

Mine are between the knuckles and wrist . Will get a pic or two next week when it is unwrapped for the eval. Just for fun, try buttoning your pants with one hand. fun

Woodwalker

Texas Ranger got four out of five, you only got two of five.  Some how I don't think either one of you came out winner.
Hope it heals without any problems.
Yep, the simple things cause more hurt.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

pigman

If this is some kind of contest, I am going to concede defeat without participating in the contest. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tyb525

I broke both my arms at the same time, simutaneously cutting them nearly in half. Does this mean I can say I nearly cut off all ten fingers? ;D ;)

I know how you feel badpenny, hang in there, we're all pulling for ya!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

Mistakes happens. After seeing Texas Ranger picture,I don't feel like having breakfast.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

Sorry about that breakfast, but there is a point to pointing out ones dumb, not paying attention, attention getters.

One of those "duh" moments that I remind my kids of, to keep them from doing the same dumb stuff.

But it didn't hurt much, after the first few days.

Raphael

It seems that when the blade on the table saw is at a 45° angle you're in the most danger.
Fortunately in my case I just shaved my wrist a little too close and getting the blood out of the finished piece of wood proved to be more troublesome than the recovery.
Hope everything heals up well for you.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

iffy

Quote from: Raphael on June 07, 2011, 03:59:03 PM
getting the blood out of the finished piece of wood proved to be more troublesome than the recovery.
That is always troublesome, especially when you are not severely injured and want to keep on working.

Texas Ranger

I never tell my wife when I get hurt, she finds out on her own.  This time she showed up at the shop and followed the blood trail to my office, then left for the hospital.  She got there and commenced to eat my tail section out for not calling her first, which, would have delayed the doc some more time.

iffy

Quote from: Texas Ranger on June 09, 2011, 12:09:56 PM
I never tell my wife when I get hurt, she finds out on her own.  This time she showed up at the shop and followed the blood trail to my office, then left for the hospital.  She got there and commenced to eat my tail section out for not calling her first, which, would have delayed the doc some more time.

Same here, but she's getting pretty good at blood trails. Last yr when I stuck my finger in a lancelot, I clamped my thumb against it and went downstairs and washed up, put some bag balm on it, gauze and tape. Went back up and back to work. Son in law picked up my blood trail about an hour later and the inquisition began. By that time I had piled duct tape on twice trying to stop the leaking, as it was getting all over my logs, but it just kept seeping out, so time to quit.
During the butt chewing the wife asked me why I didn't go to the ER, and I said they wouldn't do much more than I did, except they have more expensive bag balm. She said "they could have stitched it up", and I replied "they woulda had to darn it, 'cause there was nothing there to stitch".  :D
Anyway, all's well that ends well, as it is all healed up. Cold weather is a problem and that index finger is a little pointier than the other one.

badpenny

Gonna try java for a pic or two

Did it old school, cell phone quality, but shows the result. My doc says 90-95 % recovery possible. Will be in a splint for 5-6 more weeks, then therapy for a while. Neighbors are going to help out with haying and wood cutting, so I may be alright after all. Still feel stupid, though

doctorb

Just like I said, you'll get another chance at loosing some part in the future.  Get well.

Magicman

Wow, that looks like RR tracks across your hand.  I guess that we all serve as reminders about what we shouldn't do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

badpenny

Those were taken just before the stitches came out. Not my first rodeo, put the tip of the same hand's index finger into a table saw blade when I was 16. So I should know better, and is why I feel so stupid. Some times one needs to be hit with a house to get a lesson across, guess I should serve as a shining example of what not to do.
Doc, thanks, and good luck with your upcoming surgery.

badpenny

Just an update, the soft cast held on with velcro is history, using an isotoner elastic glove in its place. Still have limited movement of the fingers, and am going to rehab sessions once a week, with a bunch of exercises daily. My local VA rep helped with a letter to the regional VA facility, got an answer back today, and VA will be picking up the tab for all medical bills. I am covered under the 2000 Veterans Millenium Act for life threatening injuries not treated at a VA facility, so that is good. Now it's just a matter of time and work on my part to get this hand back to work. Side note, my doc filled out the paperwork for me to get a crossbow permit to hunt the archery season this year and next, as I will not be able to draw a bow for a while. Now I wait till the MN state govt gets over the shutdown so I can apply for the permit. Life goes on at a slow pace, but I notice a tapering off earlier in the day than before :) :)

Magicman

Quote from: badpenny on July 14, 2011, 12:35:54 AM
Side note, my doc filled out the paperwork for me to get a crossbow permit to hunt the archery season this year and next...
Sounds like you have your priorities in order.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!