The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Advice needed!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline brownHRFC

• Member*
    • Share Post
Advice needed!
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »
Hello, I am after advice and information on working within the forestry industry in Canada. After completing my studies in the UK in 2010 Im now determined to go overseas to gain experience working in a field I have been interested in for years. Currently applying for my working visa!

What are the possibilities for a Brit like myself seeking a job within the industry?
Despite having a good base knowledge on logging, I only have limited practical experience. The closest skill transferable to logging that I possess would come from my skills learned through mountaineering; advanced navigation and ropework and even hauling heavy equipment and machinery has become a skill well learned.

Apart from that I have gained many skills through work experience that I could specify if that would help?
Any info you guys could give me would be great, flying to Alberta end of October time so planning is in full swing!

Thank you

Offline JHBC

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
Hi there.  I have to admit that I'm totally ignorant about the forest industry in Alta.  There obviously is one there, its just that everyone I know who's moved East of the Rockies for work, high paying work, wasn't moving there to log.

Sound's like you have experience in driving heavy trucks.  That's something that is needed, for the most part.

There is guys from Alberta on the site who might be able to help better, but you should probably specify your skills/training, and mention what type of work you are looking for.

If you were heading right out to the coast of B.C, I've been copying posted jobs to another thread on this page.
But that's here.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Advice needed

Started by brianb88 on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2015, 09:32:22 PM
by brianb88
xx
a little advice and some help needed please

Started by SFires on General Woodworking

7 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 08:54:31 AM
by Magicman