iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your getting worse... What do you think?

Started by Shotgun, June 13, 2011, 08:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Saw this sign in the hospital last year in an area that was under construction......

"We're making progress.  Thank you for your patients."

Not a bad mistake for a hospital, I thought.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Brad_S. on June 13, 2011, 10:43:32 PM
You forgot the way most kids under 25 spell it: ur. ::)

Other misused spellings:

And the all time favorite?

winch/wench  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I have done the Winch/wench one.  Which Wench is running the Winch? :D

Here in the DC area I hear the word Scrimps WAY too much.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Cedarman

While you'ins were fooling around with all these words I was working on our chimley so it took a while to get catched up.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mooseherder

Sometimes it's more better to have a winch. ;D

Dodgy Loner

It always makes me snicker when I see wheelbarrow spelled "wheelbarrel" :D. Or when spigot is spelled "spicket".
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Sprucegum

Norm your subject line is not a mistake if "getting worse" is the subject and not me  :)

dewwood

Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

RichlandSawyer

Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Magicman

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 14, 2011, 09:22:32 AM
It always makes me snicker when wheelbarrow spelled "wheelbarrel" :D.

I have seen a barrel sawed diagonally and the half with the bottom end used as a wheelbarrow.  I guess that was really a wheelbarrel.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

One that my brother uses a lot is: "I tried to learn him, but he just won't teach"!

No idea where he came up with that one!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

I've heard that one before, not sure where :D

Up here, it's a spicket or spigot, and wheelbarrel is what it's usually called, although I've seen it the other way, too.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

paul case

you,
you-unz,
youall or yall for short. these are enough to get anybody mixed up.
i probably miss spell half the words i type on here. i went to college for 2 years and passed most of my classes but it may not have been as good of a college as you-uns went to.
well i aint getting no better at it either.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

isawlogs

Sometimes  I need to read the words outloud and let my ears tell my brain what my eyes are trying to tell it.   smiley_peace
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Buck

awe, Yous left out the New England expression YOUS
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Brad_bb

Affect/effect

This is a difficult one for many.
Something affected you.  You are affected.
Something had an effect.  You feel the effect.

Oh, and orientated is not a word.  It's oriented.  I ran across this in the design world all the time.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: tyb525 on June 14, 2011, 09:00:43 PM
Up here, it's a spicket or spigot, and wheelbarrel is what it's usually called, although I've seen it the other way, too.

Down here, almost everybody pronounces spigot as spicket, and I'm sure there are lots of places where wheelbarrow is pronounced wheelbarrel, but that doesn't change the fact that there is no such thing as a spicket or a wheelbarrel (well, except for maybe the wheelbarrel that Magicman describes :D).

Another one that bugs me: Irregardless is not a word. Irrespective and regardless are.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Coon

Some of yalls words remind me of Jeff Foxworthy.  :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

paul case

Quote from: Buck on June 15, 2011, 08:16:01 AM

i, awe, eye, am not a yankee and i dont use yous. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff Foxworthy:

Jeat?

Naw, jew?

Naw, lezeat!

Arite.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ernie

The question is whether the wether can stand the weather or whether the wether will wither or not.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

WDH

Dodgy,

I have never seed a spicket on a wheelbarrel.  Must be a Mississippi sort of thing, South Mississippi anyway.

Norm,

Your just a particular stickler.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

A few years back the local paper ran an article on a new subdivision that was being developed. The article mentioned the equipment that was building the roads -- an excavator and a "grater". OK, thinks I, probably just a typo the proof-reader missed. Turn the page and there is a photo, complete with caption, of the "grater" at work.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

tyb525

road grater...would make shredded asphalt :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ibseeker

Quote from: Buck on June 15, 2011, 08:16:01 AM

If you're from Philly but living in Orlando, it's yous'all
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Thank You Sponsors!