iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Need Youtube help..

Started by Bibbyman, June 16, 2011, 08:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Ok..  Mary finally broke down and let me buy a camcorder.  Sony Handycam.

Ok.  I shot some video of me running the sawmill.

Ok... I got it uploaded to the PC.

Ok...  I got Movie Maker and did some titled pages, fade in, etc.

Ok... I got a Youtube account set up and uploaded a short video (marked private for now).

Not ok...  It seems to take forever and a day to upload a couple of minutes.

Not Ok...  I've got many options for format -  I chose wmv.

Is there a better choice?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjBS2MHR-Q

I just made it public.

Laugh if you need to... ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Unless you have a high speed connection, Its going to take forever and a day. If you have satellite high speed, its generally only high speed one way, download, not on upload.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Bibbyman

Have DSL  6mbps I think - fastest our phone service offers.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Thats probably only one way. Use the link above to test upload speed.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff on June 16, 2011, 08:46:17 PM
CHeck your upload speed.

http://bandwidth.com/tools/speedTest/

Yea,  3 going down,  .96 goung up.

We got a lot of trafic going on.  Netflix.  Mary on Nook, etc.

Paying for 6 but have Roku set to show me speed when it downloads.  Sometimes high as 4 often much lower and never higher.

So....  What do I do?? 

Get up at 1:30 and start the upload?

Make shorter videos?

Is there a smarter choice in formats?
Sawing since '94

Jeff

That's a nice clear video. :)

(Considering it was filmed in 1911 ;) )

Ianab

Do you have the option to save as MP4? That's a much more compressed file format than WMV and should only take 10% as long to upload.

There is also the resolution that you film in, no point makiing a huge HD quality movie when Youtube is going to shrink it down to window size anyway.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff on June 16, 2011, 08:55:57 PM
That's a nice clear video. :)

(Considering it was filmed in 1911 ;) )

I watched and edited it a couple of times before I noted that it's not "June 31" but "May 31".  June does not even have a 31 I've been told (by Mary).

So see how well I'd doing under the mental handicap.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ianab on June 16, 2011, 09:02:48 PM
Do you have the option to save as MP4? That's a much more compressed file format than WMV and should only take 10% as long to upload.

There is also the resolution that you film in, no point makiing a huge HD quality movie when Youtube is going to shrink it down to window size anyway.

Ian

Yea,  I shot it in HD because I wanted to burn it to DVD and watch it on our HD tv.

I've got maybe another 20 minutes in a couple more sawmill clips.  Maybe I'll see if I can put it in MP4 formant for YouTube.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I wasn't able to figure out how to file it as an MP4 file.  I filed it as a small phone file.  Still made it an MPV file but much smaller.  Didn't take nearly as long to upload.

See how this looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruuysjPL6I
Sawing since '94

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Still plenty of quality left. :)

Mooseherder

Great Video.  Thanks for sharing. :)

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb25kn6hU38

Here is another part - what's going on behind the sawmill.

I'm at a bit of a handycap.  Mary refuses to be in a video and also refuses to use the camera to take video.  So I'm left setting up the camcorder and letting it run.
Sawing since '94

pigman

Good videos. It loads faster than it plays on my medium speed Verizon wireless. 8) The first video you posted took so long that I stopped it before I saw anything.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bibbyman

Quote from: pigman on June 17, 2011, 08:54:42 AM
Good videos. It loads faster than it plays on my medium speed Verizon wireless. 8) The first video you posted took so long that I stopped it before I saw anything.

I guess I can delete it and reload it?  Can't I?
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Or Just upload another one. I like the high def. ;D

pnyberg

I've been thinking about trying my hand at a few sawmill related videos.  I was inspired by all the member videos submitted by members of another forum I've been visiting lately related to backpacking and hammock camping (http://hammockforums.net/).  Some people obviously put a lot of effort into these, and the quality is often very impressive. 

My only video recording device at the moment is my iPod Touch, which may not be up to the task.  But I shot a video in my back yard, edited it a bit with iMovie, created a YouTube account and uploaded it.  I made it private at first, but since Bibby is willing to share I've changed it to unlisted, so if you're interested, I think you can see it by clicking on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K4J6vQax7A 

(OK, when I previewed this post, what I thought would show up as a URL showed up as an embedded YouTube link instead.  I thought that I'd have to learn something new to make this happen.)

It's about 5 minutes long, and has nothing to do with Sawmills and Milling, or any other Forestry Forum topic, other than the fact that it has trees in it.  I have no idea how big it is.

Having watched Bibby's videos, I only have a couple of comments:

• Wow.  The hydraulics on those Super's is amazingly fast.
  • Bibby saws much higher quality logs than I generally do.
  • I think the second and third videos could benefit from some voice-over narration that explains what's going on as its happening.  (No, I don't know how to do that either.)

I think YouTube videos are a good way of sharing information that's probably under utilized around here.

So, thanks for sharing Bibbyman!

--Peter
No longer milling

Larry

My first movie was right here a few months ago.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46058.msg663650.html#msg663650

Since that first one I've made several.  I'm just using my Fuji camera and handicapped because I've never bought a big nuff memory card.  A friend has been telling me software makes a bigger difference than the camera on turning out a professional presentation.  I'm not much interested in professional so I've been ignoring him.

If all of us would make a movie of our operation I think we could learn some new tricks and really get a feel for how mills perform.  Maybe a special spot on the forum to accumulate just sawmill movies?

I really enjoyed Bibbymans video.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

I can easily add subtitles and such.  I don't know about voice over's.  I don't even know if the PC I'm using (Mary's) has a built in microphone.  Maybe it does.

On the hydraulics,  keep in mind that this is not your dad's LT40 Super.  I yanked the 12v DC pumps and hooked it up to a power pack ran by a 7.5 hp 3ph motor.   It will pump 6 gpm at 2200 psi all the time.  The WM factory pumps,  as I understand it, are two stage.  They will pump less than 3 gpm each with no load.  But only a bit over 1 gpm each under load.  Most of the time I have to feather the levers to keep from pitching the log off the deck or some other place.
Sawing since '94

pnyberg

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 17, 2011, 06:44:57 PM
On the hydraulics,  keep in mind that this is not your dad's LT40 Super. 

Oh, right.  I'd forgotten about that mod.  I'll put my checkbook back in the drawer.

--Peter
No longer milling

Warbird

Those are really great, bibbyman.  That's a nice setup you have.  Thank you for sharing.  Makes me wish I could drop everything, buy a mill, and go into business!  My body just wouldn't handle it, though.

Bibbyman

I've got some more footage.  When I get time I'll look through it and see if there is anything of interest that I've not covered.  I was thinking of shooting some more of me working the Command Control or at least up in front of the mill.
Sawing since '94

Shotgun

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 20, 2011, 04:42:49 PM
I was thinking of shooting some more of me working the Command Control or at least up in front of the mill.

Bibby, I'd like for you to get Mary in front of the video camera and turn it on, then tell her what you've telling us about her for the last ten years. I think that would be more interesting than True Grit.   ;D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.