iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saplings to thinned out

Started by JUNEBUG 88, June 22, 2011, 02:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUNEBUG 88

Forester has told us to improve the quality of property, saplings have to be thinned out. There are numerous areas that have dense coverage of the small saplings you can barely walk through. It is impossible to cut the 3"and smaller trees with a chainsaw without breaking our backs. My brother found a DR 6.25 Sprint Trimmer/mower with Beaver blade attachment which is a 12 inch blade allowing 3 inch trees to be cut.

Has anybody heard of these or experienced these machines. Or can you suggest another machine. Hopefully this link to the machine works, the link to the blade is within the info to the machine highlighted in red type.
http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModelDetail.aspx?X=1&Name=TRMSprint5HP&src=VW64826XE2913829

Ianab

I don't think a wheeled cutting machine like that would work so well in a forest situation  ???

This would be the weapon of choice for that sort of job.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS550.html

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KBforester

I agree with Ianab. If you try it though, post pictures! I'd like to see how it goes. I use a 244 husky brush saw.
Trees are good.

Piston

Are the saplings too big for a tractor and brush hog? 
Brush saws work well too, much faster than I thought they would.  I use the stihl brushcutter mentioned and am happy with it. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

Junebug, I'm am about to finish up 15 acres of brushing with an FS550 in some of my plantations. I have thinned about 45 acres on my ground over the past 6 years. I cut as much as 100 acres a year with it on other land.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JUNEBUG 88

SOrry for lack of response to your quick answers. I recently had 1 disk spine fusion redo and another disk fused from back trauma injury and still recovering with very limited sit down and movement ability for next 3 months. Therefore,I do NOT plan on using the brushcutter whether it is a blade or the DR cutter, my brother's plan to purchase the unit.  It is looking like we are leaning more toward a blade type of brushcutter even though they are more expensive. Are there any other brands such as Redmax,echo,Husky comparable to the higher priced Stihl. I am partial to Stihl though.

Just the thought of pushing a 65# DR machine through the brush around the 100+ acres through the sand would be the back- killer for me even if it is cheaper. Or having to load it into a trailer and drag it behind our lawn tractor everywhere we needed it.

SwampDonkey

If your looking for a good strong machine you'll have to part with the $$ I'm afraid. ;) Stihl or Husky are your best choice. Echo has some models, but no longer make the stronger 57 cc model.

Sounds like you'll have a tough stretch to recover for a while with that back.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Most of the Outdoor Power Equipment companies make various models of brushcutters.

For part time use a less expensive machine should do you fine, but if you intend to spend the day whacking over 3" saplings, get one with enough power.

Yes I think the brushcutter would be the most back friendly, still hard work, but at least you are standing up straight to use it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sprucegum

Note the shoulder harness hanging in the picture of the Stihl, it is a necessity no matter which brand you buy. It saves on back strain and keeps you from cutting your feet off  ;)

Woodboogah

You def want the "backpack" type harness for all day cutting.  Just the shoulder strap for cutting all day is not fun.  Go with a machine with enough or more power for what you intend to use it for.  To little power you will burn it up over time and it wont last.  More power is usually better anyways, right?
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Thank You Sponsors!