iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2011 Bear Season

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2011, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

There may not be oak up where Jeff's land is and I think few beech on his land to. But there may be some hardwood stands with a significant amount of beech, although the one stand Jeff had me in was a maple stand. But anyway, bear love beech trees for the nuts to and smaller bear climb them and pull in branches to break them off and it looks like a nest in the tree when they are done eating the nuts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Yes, there is a significant Beech stand adjacent to my property, so they don't have to go far at all for that. The week of the pigroast the bears were into the areas where the raspberries were growing to the north of me. I took a ride of there on the atv and there was bear scat all over on the two track where the berries grow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Looks like this latest video, that this fellow is mostly interested in the old kibble dogfood I drizzled strawberry base on. The dogfood I got from Lou as he does not have a dog any more..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvsCsAe4f1I

doctorb

Jeff-

Do you think that the bear in the video is the same one in the still pic from 8/27?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

Oh, great, Jeff is going to create, then kill, a diabetic bear. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Quote from: doctorb on August 31, 2011, 11:47:12 AM
Jeff-

Do you think that the bear in the video is the same one in the still pic from 8/27?

I really don't have a clue at this point. I'm thinking I could have as many as 5 different bears that have showed up, but really have no way of knowing.

doctorb

Do you own a paint ball gun? :D :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

That has been considered on more than one occasion. :D

SwampDonkey

I was thinking the same thing about the paint ball gun, until I saw Doc bring it up in a post on down the thread. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Come on along as I go to put out some bait for the bears. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh_e7t_rccU

Norm

Machete!

I come up there and I'm bringing my .44mag, no way this fat farm boy is going to be bear bait.  :D

Texas Ranger

Jeff

Pete carries a 44 when he goes back in the woods. I don't have a concealed weapons permit, so in order to take a gun to my property on the quad, it has to be unloaded and locked in a place inaccessible to me while I am driving. That's any motor vehicle. That makes it a PITA to run down to my property and stay legal. We have open carry laws, but not with a vehicle.

I don't worry about the bears. I'd be worried about wolves, cougar or even coyotes before a bear. I've has instances where I had coyotes under my deer stand and yelling at them didn't deter them. that was down near home, not up here though.

If a bear comes after me and my machete, it will at least make for a good story, be it me telling it, or my survivors. ;)

SwampDonkey

I've never been that scared to need a gun, not yet anyway. But coming onto any carnivore or even a moose will elevate the heart rate a few steps on first sight. :D

Norm

That is one of the nice things about having my CC permit, I really worry more about the 2 legged varmints than anything. There's a few cougars in our area and tons of coyotes but bears and wolves would definitely keep me on my toes.

For close up protection I don't think there's anything better than your machete, I know I wouldn't sneak up behind you and say boo with it in your hand.  :D

SwampDonkey

A moose will growl like a bear at times, and when you can't see what's growling it might be a little unpleasant.  ;D

pigman

Quote from: Jeff on September 03, 2011, 11:20:18 AM

I don't worry about the bears. I'd be worried about wolves, cougar or even coyotes before a bear.
Now you tell me. :( Just think, I made a trip to your outhouse at 4  AM with only a flashlight. I suppose ignorance is bliss.  
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Last nights photos indicate a bear bigger than any of the others so far. Could be why nothing showed up yesterday. The bait site was tore up different as well. I'll try and post a short video of that later.

sandhills

Quote from: Norm on September 03, 2011, 11:47:48 AM
That is one of the nice things about having my CC permit, I really worry more about the 2 legged varmints than anything. There's a few cougars in our area and tons of coyotes but bears and wolves would definitely keep me on my toes.

For close up protection I don't think there's anything better than your machete, I know I wouldn't sneak up behind you and say boo with it in your hand.  :D
I once snuck up behind my brother in law while we were calling in coyotes, I had no idea he actually called one in and it was standing a 100 yards or so away.  Long story short, it's NOT a good idea to sneak up on someone holding the game call in one hand and a high power rifle in the other, and bark like a dog  ;D.  He really probably should have shot me, I honestly thought he knew I was there. ::)

Jeff

doctorb

Have you ever come upon a bear when you made the trip to replenish your "feeder"?

trapper

we dont have cc here in wi yet (later this fall) when  I went blackberry picking last fall I carried a can of bear pepper spray as I go from place to place on an ATV.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Texas Ranger

You do know the old joke about wearing bells and carrying pepper spray in bear county? ::)

Jeff

My 5 dollar flea market find today.

Texas Ranger

As I said elsewhere, congratulations, you finally shot your bear, ear tagged and all.

Thank You Sponsors!