iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest log cabin renovation/building

Started by nebruks, July 02, 2011, 09:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebruks

Hello up there.

Last summer I made a small log cabin for my family from an 100 years old bath house.

While the bigger house will be built - the small cabin will be a good shelter for us.

Here are some retrospective of how the cabin has been made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNhxDUsESUM

Jeff

That was an absolute joy to watch. Thank you and welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

That's a good enough production for the Big Time!
Awesome, thanks for sharing it.

Tom

That was great. Thankyou for letting me be a part of your project.  You are quite the talented fellow.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting....and yes welcome...
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

LOGDOG

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Nebruks. My wife and I have enjoyed your video on YouTube for some time now. You have a beautiful family and a beautiful home. Please tell us more about you and your projects.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ibseeker

Nice work, both the video and the log cabin renovation and Welcome to the Forum.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

WildDog

Hats off to you for keeping some history alive. I could of sat through a couple of hours of that.  Thankyou
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

nebruks

Hello again!

Thanks everyone for kind words.

A little bit about myself.

My name is Jacob. I am 26.

I live in Latvia (Lettland). I am overtaken by traditional log and timber architecture and craftsmanship since I was a child. I have restored a log cabin (that you saw in the video) that has been built in 1910 and also made some simple timber frame buildings for myself so far.

I am willing to practice more and deepen my experience and skills in timber buildings.

I was in Sweden last autumn to log building courses organised by famous axe factory - Gransfors Bruks. I have some of Gransfors axes. Those are very good tools. Tools with a soul.

Now I am working on my next (bigger) project - to build a house for my family using timber frame technique and insulating the walls with hand hewn logs and pine wood shavings. I have prepared all the timber in my own forest - here you can see how my trees fell like in the old days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkvS4k9xfsY

I will build the house mostly with hand tools and human energy. I have almost all the old tools that I need - a broad axe (Swedish and German style), mortise axe, chisels, slick, crosscut saw, auger bit hand drills, draw knifes, some layout tools... I also made a shaving horse last week for peg making. I will use dry maple wood for pegs.

Now I am almost done with the foundation and the basement building and I will start the framing and hand hewing process in a few days.

Here is a short video of making the hand split stone (boulder) foundation for  my family house:

http://vimeo.com/24390643

Ianab

Interesting, the hand split stone looks very similar to work recently done on planters, traffic islands and a bridge here in my small town here in NZ. But it was done by some Samoans, using their "traditional" stone building methods. Just so happens that stones on the opposite side of the world are very similar.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LOGDOG

Nebruks ....

What program are you using to create your videos? They're excellent quality. The flow is very nice. Do you do this your self or maybe your wife?

Buck

Nice work. Welcome to the forum.  Your photography is amazing. Thank You for sharing.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

nebruks

Hey.

Thanks for replying.

I use Final Cut Pro for making movies. I make them by myself. I use Nikon D7000 camera with option to record movies in 720p HD.

Jacob

fishpharmer

nebruks, welcome to forestry forum.  Your obviously an energetic and talented fellow.  I look forward to visiting with you here for years to come. 

I can only echo what the others have said about your videos, GREAT!  An oustanding aspect of the first video beside the nice photography is the "human" factor.  Your cabin isn't just a building, its a home.  You so creatively meld the natural elements of trees and stone with your precious family.  The video captures the same timeless pioneering spirit that has driven men (and women) to sweat and toil throughout history.  Only a few modern things, such as truck and crane  giveaway that your video didn't actually occur  100 years ago.  Bravo.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

nebruks

Quote from: fishpharmer on July 05, 2011, 07:48:00 AM
nebruks, welcome to forestry forum.  Your obviously an energetic and talented fellow.  I look forward to visiting with you here for years to come. 

I can only echo what the others have said about your videos, GREAT!  An oustanding aspect of the first video beside the nice photography is the "human" factor.  Your cabin isn't just a building, its a home.  You so creatively meld the natural elements of trees and stone with your precious family.  The video captures the same timeless pioneering spirit that has driven men (and women) to sweat and toil throughout history.  Only a few modern things, such as truck and crane  giveaway that your video didn't actually occur  100 years ago.  Bravo.

Thanks for your  "Bravo". I like to do the things as much as possible like they have been done in the old days. It is for me like to be in a time machine. Like a live history. I wish to go to USA next summer to some Timber Framing workshop in Idaho near Spokane. Never knows, maybe we will meet some day...

clww

nebruks-Welcome to the Forestry Forum. To echo the other members, outstanding quality videos, too! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

scgargoyle

Awesome videos! I have a small Gransfors-Bruks axe, and it is an amazing tool. I use it on our property for a variety of tasks.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Freedom6178

Welcome to the FF.. All i can say is outstanding job..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Thank You Sponsors!