iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

airplane time

Started by pineywoods, July 10, 2011, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 14, 2015, 10:59:21 AM
I saw my first B-52 at an airshow in Boise, I was absolutely amazed anything that big could leave the ground. Fuel consumption must be horrendous. ;D

I was and Aircraft Mechanic in my early years in the Air Force and from 1970-1972 I worked on B-52's (D Models) when I was stationed at Dyess AFB, Abilene, TX.

They have a drop tank on each wing tip that holds (if my memory is correct) 500 pounds of JP4 fuel and they will usually burn the whole 1,000 pounds on take-off!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

currantvt

This is really interesting about the Mosquito and brings back some memories. Back in the late 60s I was doing an apprenticeship with Volkswagen in north London, in those days there were a lot of USAF bases not far out of London and up to east Anglia, a fair few of the troops had brought their VWs over from the US and a couple of us had a good thing going mending these at the bases in the evenings. After the work was done we were treated to Buds and hotdogs and lots of chat. One evening they were full of a rumour about the Air Force looking at bringing the Mossie back into production as a ground attack /precision bomber for Vietnam, I never heard any more about this and ,with hindsight, seems extremely unlikely but it would be interesting to hear what anybody else thinks.Knowing what I know now I would have thought a Beaufighter would have been a much better bet - now that really could pack a punch. 

sandhills

Not meaning to stray off the topic but one of our local crops dusters had some trouble last week, he'd just had his hundred hour check on his plane done and was dusting when he noticed his fuel pressure gauge doing funny things.  He headed back for the airport and almost made it, he was probably within a mile and half and had to put it down in a corn field, I saw some pictures from an over head view, I think he said he was at 127 mph trying to keep the nose up and I bet the plane didn't go more than 150' once it was in the corn  :o.  Ruined the prop and a mandatory overhaul now, but he walked away fine.  I came up behind them while they were trying to pull it back to the airport and I could see why he didn't try to land on one of the roads, wished I'd of had time to watch them get it there. 

trapper

Pineywoods you going this to EAA this year?

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

John Mc

I have not been in years (2001 was the last time I made it). I keep telling myself I'm going to make time for it, but never get around to it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Carson-saws

LOVE the Airshows!...Here in Mich. we have Willow Run which is where B-17 and Liberators were built during WWII.  Usually the Blue Angles make a showing and the amount of historic aircraft is rewarding.  If it isn't held there it is at Selfridge Air Force Base and equally as rewarding.  Oshkosh is amazing and impressive in the ATC arena.  That many aircraft and very little incidents.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

pineywoods

Quote from: trapper on July 22, 2016, 10:16:30 PM
Pineywoods you going this to EAA this year?
Yup, already here, set up in a motor home in the campground. Planned on looking you up, but I'm pretty much restricted to the airport. Had a front tire explode on my truck, tore up a bunch of stuff, so I'm stranded till I get the damage fixed. Been coming since 1972, it's still mind boggling..The world's largest flying boat is on display at the seaplane base almost in your back yard..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

trapper

anyway I could come to visit you if you have any spare time?  Would be happy to take you to pick up parts.  pm me for phone number
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Okrafarmer

Take some good pictures, Piney!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Brucer

Quote from: pineywoods link=topic=51809.msg1409573#msg1409573

...The world's largest flying boat is on display at the seaplane base almost in your back yard..

I'm guessing that would be the Martin Mars water bomber.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pineywoods

Yeah, the martin mars water bomber. It made a demonstration water bomb pass down the main runway. I didn't get to see a lot, spent most of my time working on support equipment and my own toyota pickup. Had a right front tire explode on the way there. Mud/snow tire tore up the fender, ruined the rim and took out a 3 foot section of wiring harness that was, repeat WAS behind the fender liner. $99 for a manual that MIGHT have a complete wiring diagram. Junkyard will provide another fender. I got about half of the wire runs spliced in, just gave up and towed it home behind the rv. Another project  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

red

Harrison Ford takes aspiring pilot for a ride in his plane. The Young Eagles Program takes kids for rides and this girl was the 2,000,000 participant. .www.usatoday.com has the story

pineywoods

The young eagles program is not just an EAA oshkosh thing. It's supported by EAA chapters all over the world. You might be surprised by the well known people who are active EAA members. Paul Harvey, Harrison Ford, Jeff Skyles and a bunch of our astronauts just name a few. the ceo of EAA is the retired ceo of cessna aircraft.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: pineywoods on August 09, 2016, 10:00:41 AM
The young eagles program is not just an EAA oshkosh thing. It's supported by EAA chapters all over the world. You might be surprised by the well known people who are active EAA members. Paul Harvey, Harrison Ford, Jeff Skyles and a bunch of our astronauts just name a few. the ceo of EAA is the retired ceo of cessna aircraft.

I'm sure Paul Harvey has his wings, but he's not needed an airplane since Feb 2009 when he relocated to Heaven.

Herb

Okrafarmer

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on August 09, 2016, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on August 09, 2016, 10:00:41 AM

I'm sure Paul Harvey has his wings, but he's not needed an airplane since Feb 2009 when he relocated to Heaven.

Herb

:o

And that's the rest of the story!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

red

www.eaa.org is the Oshkosh Air Show . Its on my bucket list , maybe next year.

John Mc

I didn't get much flying in this past winter - seemed like whenever I had the time, the weather was crappy.

I've been grounded since late April, when the airport where I am based was closed for a runway expansion. They are still working on the runway (almost done). Unfortunately, when the runway reopens, they will start work on the taxiway, which will cut off access from our hangars to the runway.

I did plan ahead a bit - our plane is in for an avionics upgrade and annual inspection during this time.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Papa1stuff

I've been grounded since late April, when the airport where I am based was closed for a runway expansion. They are still working on the runway (almost done). Unfortunately, when the runway reopens, they will start work on the taxiway, which will cut off access from our hangars to the runway.
John, didn't you say you were  at the Middlebury airport?
Who is running it now?
Dave M
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

John Mc

Dave -

Yes, I'm at the Middlebury Airport (6B0). It's still owned by the state. A few years ago, the state decided to put a full-time state employee at the airport as an airport manager. Cisco Herrera has been the manager for the last couple of years. He's a pretty good guy. 

J&M Aviation still has their maintenance and paint shop (the paint shop is always busy - they were ranked in a top ten article in Aviation Consumer a couple of years ago). Their A&P/AI passed away about a year ago. They have other A&Ps, and a couple of AIs in the area are helping them out for now.

There is also a booming Avionics shop on the airport: Green Mountain Avionics. They are the ones who are doing my upgrade.

Papa1stuff

Looks like things have changed since I had my plane there.
Al Quinell was the owner operator at that time ,and I learned to fly using my Bosses plane and Als flight instructors.
Al had two Pawnee's for crop dusting !
Long time ago  ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

John Mc

Yeah, we talked about this a while back. A few years after I moved to VT, one of Al's descendants, Joe Quesnel was the "J" in J&M Aviation (the FBO at the airport). He moved to Maine a few years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!