iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Youtube - ideas and comments and questions...

Started by Bibbyman, July 18, 2011, 06:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I'm up to my 6'th YouTube video upload.  I think I'm getting the hang of it and my videos are better.  At least I think so..  ::)

Since a number of other members are making YouTube videos, I'zz just wondering if there was a way, or would be a way to link a YouTube account to your profile?   

Also, or instead, maybe make a new section on the Forum for videos - each member can start a topic under their user name and post links to their videos?  They and others can post comments, questions, etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

I am not certain what the limitations of the photo gallery software are but if Jeff can wing it, that might be the place to implement this idea.

beenthere

Seems to me YouTube already groups them together by username, as well at the end of a vid the others under that username show up.
A search on YouTube of the username will bring up a list of the video's they've posted.
Maybe that feature would take care of our needs just fine. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

I don`t know much but I think beenthere is right.  With the user name you get everything one has on Youtube as I know.  Where do you post the username seems to be the question.  I think  ???

Jeff

Look to the left under my avatar to see a new link to my youtube channel. You can set one up in your profile now under the Forum Profile Information link.

Easy Hack. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff on July 18, 2011, 04:21:06 PM
Look to the left under my avatar to see a new link to my youtube channel. You can set one up in your profile now under the Forum Profile Information link.

Easy Hack. :)

My profile has a little goast figure now but no YouTube icon.  Did I screw up?
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Bibbyman

Quote from: Warbird on July 18, 2011, 06:59:46 PM
Nope.  I see your Youtube icon just fine.

I got it fixed.  I first put the link in some Yahoo spot..    Old timer's setting in.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

No worries.  Happens to us all at some point.  You have some pretty cool vids.

Bibbyman

Well,  did I come up with a usable idea?   8)

I do sometimes.   Just been awhile.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

jim king

Mooney

Here's a few tips on making good videos from a former video business owner ;-) Bibbyman asked me to chime in, since there's about as much to know about making good videos as there is to sawing good lumber!

Here's some tips/ideas for beginners:
   -Use a tripod if you can. Steady video is good video!
   -Zoom and pan (move) slower than you think you should. Your audience will thank you ;-)
   -If you do do handheld video, hold the camera steady, relax your body, and only slowly move the camera. Edit out shaky/jerky stuff with your editing software. Bibbyman does a good job of keeping handheld watchable!
   -Upload your video at the highest quality your camera/computer/internet connection can manage. A high quality video is much more enjoyable to watch than a fuzzy one.
   -You can insert photos, narration, music with most free video editors (movie maker, imovie, etc).
   -Go easy on the fancy transitions ;-) A simple cut from shot to shot is the best way to go. A crossfade can be a nice touch. Page turn transitions are sooo '90s... ;-)
   -There are tools that you can turn down the volume of a video, and use music or narration as the principle sound you hear. If your video calls for it, do it! If you use copyprotected music, YouTube can disable the music altogether, or remove your video, so watch out for that.
   -When uploading your video to YouTube, give it a descriptive name, a full description, and put in as many tags as you can think of (tags are words associated with your video, that help people find it when they're searching). Here's some sample tags to help people find your video: custom sawyer sawing logs lumber Warden sawmill Wood-Mizer LT40 Sacramento Amador county, etc (Yes, I just made up a bunch...;-).

There's a few things important to remember when just starting out. If you have any questions, technical or basic, send me a message! I enjoy adding many of your videos to our Sawyer playlist section on our YouTube channel, and good quality videos are always good to add!

Here are a couple online resources for learning more about making good videos. VideoMaker is a tremendous resource, and if you have any interest in doing a little video as a fun hobby, subscribe to their magazine!

http://gogirlguides.com/03/featured/travel-videos-tips-for-the-beginning-videographer/ - a girly blog, but great basic information on making a good, entertaining video.

http://www.videomaker.com - the ultimate place to learn everything you need for making good videos. Great community forum, and a very inexpensive monthly magazine that I just devour everytime it hits the mailbox!

http://www.drostdesigns.com/how-to-make-a-simple-video/ - Another walkthrough of how to shoot and market a video.

Bibbyman

Thanks for the help.  I've not followed the link yet but sometime in the night when I can't sleep...

I have noted that I'm getting some e-mail notices from YouTube - people friending on and such. 

Then I get a message from YouTube advising me that I could advertize.  I never thought of that and don't know if I want to. 

Anyone else doing this?
Sawing since '94

Mooney

If you go to youtube, My Account, and then to Settings, you can tell YouTube what notifications to actually send to you (if at all). I like to be notified about new comments, and that's about it.

tonto

Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Bibbyman

Yesterday I pulled some video into the Movie Maker editor and played around with fade in, fade out,  added still pictures and music.  I may have learned a few other things I've already forgotten.   

About the music,  I found three music files that were samples on the PC.   I'm reluctant to go searching for music to download.  Where is a safe place to start looking?  I see some of the downloads cost money – something I'm opposed to, or maybe not clear if its public domain or not.   
Sawing since '94

jim king

Bibbyman:

I listen to music on You Tube all the time but I dont know how to save it.  I download all my old peoples music after midnight for the next day.  If you put in the name of the song it is probably there.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+wayward+wind&aq=f

Bibbyman

First,  I love Patsy...!

Second,  the first video I pulled up has a spot saying "Buy Wayward Wind" on iTunes, AmazonMP3.  That would imply it's not public domain. 
Sawing since '94

jim king

Bibbyman:
Nothing about paying shows up here.  It is probably because they know that all the kids have a way to get around it.

pnyberg

I'm still researching this whole video creation thing, but I did do some searching on non-copyrighted music.  Here's one site I found pretty quickly: http://www.danosongs.com.  He's got a bunch of clips in different styles you can use and all he asks in return is a credit in your video. 

I'm sure there's a lot more available out there.  This was the first I found that looked promising.

--Peter
No longer milling

Raider Bill

I used to use limewire for free songs, videos etc but they got shut down. I tried BearShare  ******DO NOT TRY BEARSHARE!!!!!!!!! I can't get rid of it! Made a home for it's self and won't go away.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Putting music on a video is risky unless you use youtube's audio match selections once you uploaded, but that doesn't give you the ability to fade in and out where you want. I've found out the hard way on some of mine, where I thought it was safe to use a tune it was not. If it isn't youtube removes the entire sound track.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbEPX66noxw

This is the guy that gave me the confidence to make YouTube videos.  I figured if this knot-head can do it,  I can!
Sawing since '94