iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whoa, I might have bit off more than I can chew: BIG BIG logs

Started by MotorSeven, August 02, 2011, 05:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Tamiam,  I know where you're coming from.

We sale fencing lumber to a lumber yard/farm supply place some 20 miles away.  They get an order for oak fencing lumber and leave us a message with specs and quantity, etc.  We come in and respond with when we can deliver and do.  They write us a check and we're gone.  They've spent the time dealing with each customer and making the final delivery, collecting, etc.  We can saw.  That's what we do best.

I had a load go to them early in July.  Got to the office to pick up the check and they were talking about getting it on the truck to deliver.  They mentioned it was going back almost to our mill.  Turned out it was going to one of our old customers.  We had sawn for him a number of times but he was awful bad about making appointments at off times to pick his stuff up and then not showing up.  He quit ordering from us and went to our "competition".  I'm sure he thinks he's getting a better product now that he's paying the middle man.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MotorSeven

The Mega Hook arrived yesterday...that was fast. The name is fitting and looking at this monolith I am wondering if my puny 6'4" 230 lb self is enough to get it moving .......maybe I should eat more BonBon's :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

paul case

congrats on the new purchase. i never wanted one of those. still dont. good to know how to get one but if its bigger than my 48'' logrite can turn, i use other methods.
my little forklift is a big help but i rarely turn a log with it. just pick up the pieces and reload. i was wondering if you were trying to make multiple 5''x10'' beams out of one log? even if you were it makes more sense to me with a manual mill to make some cuts and slide them off to the side to reload and edge after the log is all cut. this greatly decreases the size of the log and it is considerably easier to turn. i usually only turn 1/4 each time so there is less turning altogether. my mill has a hand winch with a cant hook on it to aid in turning the  biguns and it gets some use, but i usually turn with my 48'' logrite. it works great. i bought mine from my mill manufacturer at a farm show and avoided shipping completely.
Tammy,
thats a great set of tools youall make. no mill is complete without one.  here is my logrite when it was new.

the last 2 pics are my log turner set up on the ez boardwalk 40. i have turned serveral 26'' to 34'' logs with it.  good luck. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MotorSeven

Paul that log turner is not a bad idea. I picked up a HF manual winch set up with a short boom like the ones that go in the bed of a truck. It was missing a few things but it was ony $20 at the flea market so fabbing that up should be pretty easy. If I can't get 'em turned with the two Logrites than I will look into this.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

Well, y'all were right, they are "doable". I had some help so we tackled some of the biggest logs. This one was 24" after we trimmed off the flair and the 55 horse tractor could not pick the whole thing up, so I had to drag & roll it to the mill, then lift one end up at a time. We used the chain method to turn it and it actually works quite well, you just have to go slow and easy. This log turned out 4 - 5"x10"x24' rafters:

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MotorSeven

Quote from: Jeff on September 08, 2011, 10:01:23 AM
Nice!  Working right next to the pond eh? ;)

Ha, yes, we got pummeled with 36 hrs of straight rain from TS Lee. It was drizzling all day yesterday while we sawed....it's nice to have a roof over the mill!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

zopi

Nice! A solution I came up with for you guys on a manual mill, I set up a tripod over the mill...made out of fout by fours...has a rigging ring hanging from it...hang a portable electric winch from it or a chain fall...wrap the log and dog the chain to it...slow, but hey.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Looks good. Any longer and you'll have to have an extension.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

Quote from: thecfarm on September 09, 2011, 08:38:37 AM
Looks good. Any longer and you'll have to have an extension.

...and a bigger tractor...and a bigger mill shed...and...... :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MotorSeven

Update:

Well, with help I milled the whole whack of Hemlock....THE 78" Lorgite Cant Hook Rules! I have 19 5x10x23' rafters.....5 short :'(  I called my logger last night and he promised to help me find a few more trees. My log walls are almost done..lacking one row. I am cutting and peeling Poplars tomorrow for the tie poles. I set the loft beam today that I milled out of SYP...5x10x30(two sections). So until the Hemlock arrives I will be milling the loft floor joists out of SYP....3x6x16'.
I can't wait to get the roof on...this cool spell has me worried that winter is coming on hard and fast :o.

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

WDH

5quarter

Very nice place indeed. I'm not a timber framer, but it seems that the beam on the left in the photo needs a second post. enough load and it might split along its length. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

A log cabin bunkhouse is in my future.  Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MotorSeven

5Q it is going to have a 8" pocket screw in it from underneath....just haven't got to that yet. You are right the "L" notching leaves a weaker side(ok for lighter stuff) so fo my ridge rafter it will be a 60 degree slant joint...no notch.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

I want to thank everyone here that helped me on these big logs...they are now all up living as rafters in my house:

I start decking the roof tomorrow.............!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

clww

Very impressive work and photos, too! 8) Please keep updating us.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Magicman

Where was that sky hook when I needed it  ???

I love the building.  Really, I'm jealous.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Very nice work, Motor- looks like you're going to have a 2nd floor or loft in the house?  Pretty wood- you going to stain or seal it?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

MotorSeven

Yes the skyhook was a life saver, it only took us 5 hrs to hang 24 rafters and the two section ridge beam. It was $600 bucks well spent.

Lj, pressure wash and seal on the outside, 40 grit disc sander on the inside(my shoulders ache just thinking about that).

I looked high and low for some air dried sawmill 4 quarter to deck the roof, but the prices for 2100 sq ft were around $2K for Pine and Hemlock. I ended up with kiln dried finished SYP 2x10's from {cough}Lowe's....$1400.

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Marc Thornton

Looks real nice.  I'm jealous too. 

Just a thought, should you be staggering the joints on those roof boards?

Thank You Sponsors!