iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Home For My Wood-Mizer LT15

Started by WDH, September 29, 2011, 08:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow Danny.....somebody's been busy.....REAL busy.
Did you run the power from the house? Underground?

This is a nice setup......I'm impressed!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Wow! You have been a busy boy.  Last time I was there it was nothin but grass.  Looks like a first-class setup. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Larry

WDH isn't giving the grass a chance to grow under his feet. ;D

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 12, 2014, 02:02:21 PM
Wow Danny.....somebody's been busy.....REAL busy.
Did you run the power from the house? Underground?

This is a nice setup......I'm impressed!  smiley_thumbsup

I bet he did it with a PowerBox. :D

In any case its a impressive and neat setup.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

You have really been busy.  That sure looks nice!!  First class for sure. Have you tried the cyclone yet?

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Clay Hound

Nice setup Danny!  I don't know how you find the time to get all this done.  I work all the time but don't seem to get much accomplished! :-\
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Mooseherder

I know you have been busy Danny and that is really something to be proud of. :)

WDH

Thanks for all the kind words.  After seeing Red Oaks Lumber's set-up, I am a little embarrassed to post this  :-[.

David, I rented a trencher and ran 2-2-2-4 cable from the old house to a panel box in the planer room.  Renting that trencher was the best $125 that I have spent in a long time  :D.  Now I don't need a POWERBOX, but I still need a FAN.

Fish, it is a 20" planer.  It is a little beast.

YH, the cyclone set-up that we discussed is working very well.  The distribution of the planer shavings in the shavings box is really pretty good, but it is only about 1/4 full so far, so I have a ways to go yet to see how it will do as the box gets full.  I was lazy and did not put in any baffles yet, (too eager to plane wood) but it won't be long before the box is getting full and I can always go back in and add the baffles.  As background, there is a pretty short run of pipe, and the Penn State 2 HP blower is very powerful, so when I had the pipe just pointed into the middle of the shavings box, it just blew all the shavings out of the box :-\.  So, the box had to have a lid, and Robert, (Yellowhammer), and I discussed how to orient the inlet pipe in the top left side of the box with an exhaust port on the matching side but opposite on the top right on the lid of the box.  Therefore, the theory is that the shavings blow into the long axis on the top left side, and then the air swirls around in the box (the box has a lid), the heavier than air shavings drop out of the air stream, and the air exits out the exhaust port.  We talked about 45 degree baffles in the corners of the box to direct the air flow in a cyclone pattern, and that will surely help even more to get good shavings distribution in the box without blowing shavings all over creation.  Working according to plan so far. 

The sides of the planer room were mostly green pine, so it is shrinking a bit, and I will need to come back in and add some battens over the cracks.  No problem with that, it will make it look even more old-timey (old saying).  However, I did kiln dry the lumber for the doors, then planed them and v-grooved them, so they will not need battens.  I love the blue from the bluestain from the beetle killed pine. 

Yes, the doors are wide, but being able to fully open up both ends will make material handling (boards) much easier.  I ordered some heavy duty cart wheels so that I can make a lumber cart to move wood after one pass through the planer back to the front for the second pass thru the planer.  The goal is two-pass-skip-planing from 1 1/8" rough to 15/16" skip planed.  It is amazing how much it helps customers to see the beauty in the planed wood versus just looking a a rough sawn board.  Beauty sells  :).

This should last as long as I do.  After that, not sure that it really matters.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

47sawdust

Beautiful building.I know you have been busy and have not got around to it,but those doors will sag without a diagonal brace or an adjustable turnbuckle arrangement.I miss flat land.
Great job,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

So you're going to skip plane all the wood for now on before it's for sale?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Peter,

Yes, most of the hardwood when it come out of the kiln, but only the good grade.  The lower grade will not be kilned dried or planed, just air dried and sold rough sawn.  I do not plan to plane pine.  Not enough value in the wood. 

Also, I want to cut more slabs, and the 20" planer will make it easier to dress them up nice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This should boost your slab sales up to a least $300.00. ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Yes, all I have to do is sell one of your slabs  :D. 

hackberry jake

Too bad we arent neighbors. I would let you use that jointer all you wanted for some space in that kiln every once in a while...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

CalebL

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 13, 2014, 09:01:12 AM
Too bad we arent neighbors. I would let you use that jointer all you wanted for some space in that kiln every once in a while...

Jake, I'm getting everything together for my kiln now. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2014, 07:54:43 AM
Peter,

Yes, most of the hardwood when it come out of the kiln, but only the good grade.  The lower grade will not be kilned dried or planed, just air dried and sold rough sawn.  I do not plan to plane pine.  Not enough value in the wood. 

Also, I want to cut more slabs, and the 20" planer will make it easier to dress them up nice. 

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

hackberry jake

Quote from: CalebL on March 13, 2014, 12:17:08 PM
Quote from: hackberry jake on March 13, 2014, 09:01:12 AM

Jake, I'm getting everything together for my kiln now.
Sweet! And I even get the neighbor discount!  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

red

It will look so nice with Sheetrock   ;D

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

I have swore off the two S's.  Sweetgum and Sheetrock  :-\. 

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dodgy Loner

Awesome. That room looks too clean though. Needs some clutter to make it feel homey. I have some clutter you can borrow, if you want ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!