The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Homemade firewood wrapper - Updated 1/7/11  (Read 18471 times)

Offline albirk

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Homemade firewood wrapper
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:34 AM »
309 welding rod will also work

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
I wouldn't weld to the shaft. Makes repair difficult. drill 2  1/4 holes through shaft (one for each hub) or get a keyway cut. if you do it right and you haev your clearances correct you could set it up with a proper sized bushing so that the warper arm would rotate freely with the 1/4 inch bolt out and then the bolt  would act as a shear bolt for saftey if any thing ever got in the way like a drop piece of wood or something.

I think i would go with a piece of heavy wall pipe about 4 inches long, get it reamed to fit an impregnated brass bushing that will fit snug on the shaft but still rotate freely, drill 1/4 inch hole through pipe,bushing shaft, AFTER welding a 3/16ths (or more) by 3 inch round plate to the pipe and the wrapper arms to the plate. that would be about the best fix that wrapper needs.

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Ford_man

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »
 When I built my wrapper I started with a hand crank, then I thought it would be nice to power it so I used a windsheild wipper motor  and a 12 V battery The hubs are locked to the shaft by drilling a hole through and then I put a small bolt through the hub and shaft works real good.

Offline scdaddy7269

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 11:28:54 PM »
I have decided the easiest for me will be to weld to the shaft, removing the entire shaft only requires loosening the set screws so I am not too concerned with that. I am officially done with this semester of classes on Monday, after that my first project is swapping a rear end in a truck I am selling then immediately onto the wrapper to make it 100% ready for the spring.  Also, I broke the 1,000 bundle barrier today for the year. Sold my 1,003rd bundle of the year.

Offline scdaddy7269

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
Well, it has been a few weeks but I finally finished it. I had a local welding company sandwich the wrapper arm with some flat stock, it is totally solid now. I spent some time on it today making a few adjustments and I can finally say it is done and 100% functional.  I will be taking it over to a sheet metal shop next week to have some pre-loaders made, basically just a U-shaped piece of metal with curled edges that I can stack with wood then drop between the U-shaped arms on the machine and have a ready to wrap bundle. I figure about 10 pre-loaders would make it go smoothly. If I am by myself I can load them then wrap 10 bundles or if I have help I can have a continuous cycle going. It kills me to see these companies that make wrappers and don't supply or allow for a pre-loading system because then you are stuck stacking the wrapper piece by piece. What a waste of time.  Anyway, I am psyched to be done. I also picked up a 26ft hay elevator that I will be converting into a wood conveyor for loading my dump truck and for making splitting and moving easier.  

New video of the fixed wrapper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7gD_19bKc

Pic of the solution to the wobbling wrapper arm.

Offline MudBud

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Homemade firewood wrapper - Updated 1/7/11
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
Nice work and nice operation!  When you finish the pre-loader take a pic as well.  I agree they should have them when you buy an expensive unit.

Offline Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Another "traveling man"
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
Looks great!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
Glad to see you have it working the way you want it to work.  :) :) 8)

Now think on that elevator a bit and see if you can get the pieces to align properly as they go up the elevator. Then after they reach the top, they slide down a chute parallel to each other and ready to fall into the pre-loader (or the wrapper).  :)  Don't stop inventing now. Keep up the good work.

Maybe soon you will just have to deliver logs to one end and haul off the wrapped bundles coming out the other end.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »
A friend of mine bought a grain elevator from me . He was going to use it to load brick  up on his scafold of his house . He was tired of hauling them up on the rope pulley.  I told him to use the chute to lay them in a bed of mortar as they came up and he could finish the brick work faster. He told me I had been watching too much Donald Duck .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline scdaddy7269

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
Glad to see you have it working the way you want it to work.  :) :) 8)

Now think on that elevator a bit and see if you can get the pieces to align properly as they go up the elevator. Then after they reach the top, they slide down a chute parallel to each other and ready to fall into the pre-loader (or the wrapper).  :)  Don't stop inventing now. Keep up the good work.

Maybe soon you will just have to deliver logs to one end and haul off the wrapped bundles coming out the other end.

Ha, I like it. I would like to get all the wood I have split before the season starts but based on my calculations that will require me to split for at least 100 hours.

I will have to find some time.

Offline mahonda

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 12:37:33 AM »
I have a very similar designed wrapper. The back rack spins too. My next design it's fixed to a solid shaft with the wrapping arm spinning on it with one bearing with attached pulley to drive it. Hopefully get it built this spring.
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
 Burly aka Dad

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 03:43:13 AM »
looks to me that you need to add some more braces to keep everthing from moving around looks good you have to start someplace and work forward  i think a 18" to 20" pipe split in half for the wood cradle may work better once the wood is rapped to remove it better just my 2 cent

looks good
If you can see a Hudson wrapper they have a good set up I bought one and built one from it. The only thing that moves on hudsons is the wrapper both ends are stationary. The only change I made in my were to put half circles in bottom each box my bundle would be .65 my customers don't like 1.0 it's to heavy for my women customers. I keep bring this up women by firewood bundled. Men buy beer and Guns and shop toys. Men don't care about a sexy fire in the fire place. Women do. Later

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »
How about an electric motor mounted to a  rear axel
Firewood  hung on the hub ends wrap 2 bundles at a  time .
I think that would solve the flex and  mount pullys to  drive yoke.
Somebody here can come up with the best ratio.
Dale
If you can get around a Hudson wrapper of all the wrappers I like there set up to keep every thing in place I would send a picture but don't know how. It is one heavy built dude.

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »
Looks great!
Buck I would like to get somebody to put a picture of Hudsons wrapper it is solid your holders do not move only your your wrapper arm. I built one like there but with a electric motor but I took it off I like the hand crank better. I take mine with me to shows. People like to watch it wrap. Good selling idea. I would send a picture but don't know how. Had a customer help me wrap worked at it about 3 hours he wrapped two ranks. Later Buck

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
That thing is awesome! 8) Great job! ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for CFI

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking for a Firewood bundler/wrapper.

Started by ocfwjdh on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 12:01:57 AM
by ocfwjdh
xx
hand powered firewood wrapper?

Started by wills swamp on Firewood and Wood Heating

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2014, 06:22:29 PM
by glassman_48
xx
homemade quick attach snowplow (updated w/wing extension)

Started by 47sawdust on General Board

16 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 09:56:42 AM
by 47sawdust
xx
Building a firewood processor (with updated 7-10-2011 pics and video)

Started by GF on Drying and Processing

234 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 10:12:29 PM
by GF