iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits

Started by Texas Ranger, October 07, 2011, 11:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

I had shrimp and grits at an oyster bar in Newport News VA, a couple weeks ago.  It was quite tasty with a spicy red sauce.  The grits were pretty good, but not like what I make.  They were creamy smooth and white.  So I suppose they were hominy grits, but what makes them smooth?  Is that what instant grits are like?  Or maybe they had them simmering on the stove for couple hours?

Magicman

Probably just the grind.

I had this bowl a couple of weeks ago and the grits were yellow and coarse grind.  You can actually see the coarseness in the picture.

This is a good brand of yellow grits.
They are all hominy grits but as you found, grits ain't necessarily grits because of what the package says.  Most all of the restaurant grits here are white.

We only use yellow grits and also yellow cornmeal for our cornbread.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I tried grits and although I like corn they were not something I would go back for. Probably instant, they are virtually unknown here. Cornbread, now that's a whole 'nuther story. I had never seen or heard of it until we visited mom's family in the east but sure enjoyed it with maple syrup. Don't bother looking for it here in the west either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnW

Yip, MM, I use the same brand as you.

Sawguy, I feel bad for you.  I don't know where you can get your hands on some good grits,

petefrom bearswamp

Oh you southerners who insist that you invented grits.
Right on MMs favorite brand it says also known as polenta.
Polenta originated in northern Italy and as Italy is MUCH older than the good ol USA and especially the unglaciated south You must have purloined the stuff.
Oh the misinformation!
Let the bashing resume.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 03, 2019, 08:57:02 AMOh the misinformation!
Yes Sir, misinformation: Corn in Italy    and   Maize

Google is your friend.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

MM:  Location: Finger Lakes region of NY

Nuff said!!!! ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Yes, but he is such a nice guy. 

pesaventoc

Grit's can be tasteless grains of sand or pure heaven. try the first recipe in this pdf, don't skip or short change any ingredient, and you will bow your head in prayer.

http://www.themooregroupofsc.com/Documents/Charleston%2034%20shrimp%20and%20grits%20Recipes.pdf
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

pesaventoc

how do I make the reference "click on"?
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

WDH

The Native Americans invented grits.  Just like corn, tomatoes that the Italians are so famous for also came from the New World. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Sooo last evening PatD asked what I wanted for supper.  I had requested  Wendy's "Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger" for lunch so no "leftovers" there.  I then said that there is always Eggs & Grits.

Well she did it a bit differently which was a surprise and very nice.  Grits with a couple of Hot Tamales.  food6

randy d

With all this talk of how good Grits are I thought I better try some and there not to bad all I could find up here in the great white north were white Grits so that's what we tried tomorrow we will have some with eggs and home made sausage should be good. Randy

WV Sawmiller

I don't know who invented grits. Did they have corn/maize in Africa before the settlers found this country? Mealies is a staple diet for many of the African tribes we visited while I was working and vacationing over there. I watched a Himba lady in Namibia where we were camping adjacent to her village grind a batch with a couple of river stones then boiled them over coals from a corn cob fire using about a 1-2 quart pot that looked like one of our 3 legged washpots. 

I cut a dead ash for firewood today and came in and my wife had fried a batch of catfish fillets, made a batch of cole slaw and cooked a saucepan full of yellow grits and I warmed up leftover baked beans to go with them and it was a first rate meal.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

The Mayans of Central America domesticated corn and invented grits.  Long before the Spaniards arrived with their diseases.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberking

Having a dad from Ark. and a Hoosier mother meant small modifications of the Commandments of Grits.  Head cheese will always be my favorite topping and fried leftovers deserve a little syrup.  I won't turn my nose up at cheese grits around the coast. 

sawguy21

I wasn't sure about head cheese the first time I saw it but enjoyed it in a sandwich. My partner left the table. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

petefrom bearswamp

Oh Geez we all believe what we want to as regards grits. ( among lots of other things) 
I enjoy the Red Mill grits once in a while but they are not a staple here in Bear Swamp
Also my wife doesn't     eat them.
I may have some tomorrow with a scrambled egg
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!