iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom freeform bench(Finished)

Started by T Welsh, October 08, 2011, 06:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I do hope the new owner reconsiders putting that bench outside. It belongs in a museum. When he asked for the bench, he probably expected a rough slab.

T Welsh

Den, Thank you for your compliment. I just got an e-mail from the owner and its going outside in front of his fish pond. he also asked me to install a hole in the leg that he can chain it down so it wont walk away :D. I am not going to put a hole in the leg. he can go around the stretcher if he wants to chain it up. Going to go with Helmsman 3 or 4 coats should do. I have used it before and I know what the results will look like. Tim

Roxie

That is beautiful!  Please be sure to post a picture after the finish.   :)
Say when

T Welsh

Will do Roxie, its the beauty of the wood and the free form that does it for me! when the poly goes on and dries it will look like a sheet of glass on it. Tim

T Welsh

Job got canceled because of snow, went to woodshop and it was 42 degrees in there! Grabbed the bench and brought it inside to apply the first coat of Helmsman spar urethane. I love this part of the build as soon as penetrates the wood grain comes alive. here,s a couple of pictures

I am thinking its going to need about 3 to 4 coats to be finished the way I like it. I just finished a table top for wifey,s coffee table and I wasnt happy until the sixth coat. She bought it and called me a said its real wood honey,well when she had me unload it out of the truck,I pointed out to her,yes honey it,s real wood over partical board. we let it go for a couple of years and she said why dont you make a real top for it ;D. (she knows just how to say things to me!) Tim

It turned out like glass :)

blaze83

Tim,

very, very nice, love the walnut bench.....  what kind of wood is in your coffee table top? walnut around the edge, and character white oak?  not 100% sure, very nice work though  8)

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

T Welsh

Steve, Your guess is very close,its red oak with a walnut wrap. I want to thank you guy,s for all the compliments so far, it really means a lot to me! I am a self taught woodworker,I make mistakes all along the process of builds and projects and have leaned from my mistakes. it truly means that I have started to progress when my peers compliment my work. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to anything I get into, my favorite quote is ( perfect is good) came from a brother of my best friend while sawing and building a timber frame barn for his wood shop, I have always had a great respect for his work and when we finally got it under roof and had a few beers to honor all the hard work that went into the barn and one of his friends asked how he think it turned out and he said that quote. and he was right. Tim

WDH

It is amazing how walnut transforms when you put a coat of finish on it.  Truly one of the miracles of the woodworking world.  I want to make one of those ofter seeing yours!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

shelbycharger400

i learned the hard way..with that helmsman... it will show 400 sanding grit, it did on my table
i know that picture dosn't even begin to show the grain/ detail and color

did you experience the first one or 2 coats just suck'd right in, almost had to pour it on, then the 3rd seem to want to sag real easy?

Nice job on the bench!

T Welsh

shelbycharger400, It drank the first coat like a cold beer on a hot day. Tim

metalspinner

Lookin' good. ;)

Since you mentioned this will end up outside by a pond, some extra protection at ground level would be marine epoxy scraped into the endgrain on the leg bottoms. That should keep moisture from wicking up into the leg.

Quotehe also asked me to install a hole in the leg

How do you install a hole? :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: metalspinner on November 01, 2011, 08:50:00 AM

Quotehe also asked me to install a hole in the leg

How do you install a hole? :D

MetalSpinner,

Well, first you cut out a hole with a holesaw...  < GRIN >

Herb

T Welsh

metalspinner, Good idea with the end seal on the bottoms of legs!! But when I brought it into the house I noticed a little wobble in the bench and I started to finish it already, will sand and put another coat on tonight. How am I going to get a straight and level cut off a finished bench :o put it on the woodmizer upside down and make a small adjustment cut 8). What ya all think of that brainy idea! some times I get ahead of my self and I get in trouble. you guy kill me with the install hole thing. I just repeated what the customer asked and didnt even think. I got a good laugh. Tim

beenthere

When you flip it over to put the finish on the bottom side, do it on the WM and level the legs at the same time.

Doesn't mean they won't need it again when the top moves some more, but can hope. :)

For the hole, first make the cutout and then install the hole after. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

(quote)Doesn't mean they won't need it again when the top moves some more, but can hope.
beenthere, you have done this before havent you! I know that when I cut the base out and put it together it was dead on. now a week later its not level. slabs of wood move big time. It hit me as soon as I read your post, I brought the bench in from an unheated shop into a woodstove heated house ;D Tim

Banjo picker

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 08, 2011, 08:20:07 AM
I have a slab of white oak I am going to make one out of ...Chris suggested after I get the legs attatached...to put it back on the mill ,clamp it down and level the legs with the saw...sounds like that should work   8)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Make the hole a little larger that you need because the hole will shrink with the legs  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

The thing about a hole, there ain't nuthing to it...

Herb

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

T Welsh

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 01, 2011, 08:46:50 PM
Quote from: Banjo picker on October 08, 2011, 08:20:07 AM
I have a slab of white oak I am going to make one out of ...Chris suggested after I get the legs attatached...to put it back on the mill ,clamp it down and level the legs with the saw...sounds like that should work   8)  Tim
Tim,I can see I,m in with the right crowd,seems we all think alike. I could put the bench on a level surface and scribe and cut with a circular saw,but thats how everyone else would do it. I have bigger tools! Tim

Sprucegum

I doubt the ground out by the pond will be perfectly level - your bench is already perfect as is.

And you can tell him the hole is already there; you just left the wood in it  ::)  ;)

T Welsh

Sprucegum, Your right,but I,m anal. prefects good. I wont let it go until I am pleased with it. I keep pushing my limits to see if I can make it perfect. You guys and the hole thing. You all have failed to notice that I already (installed) the hole. Its on the slab,mother nature helped! :D. 2nd coat went on last night,and its twice as clear and really is starting to fill all the grain and look like glass,I wont stop until a good solid finish is on. I,ll get pic,s later tonight,before 3rd coat on. Tim

Marc Thornton

Quote from: T Welsh on October 30, 2011, 02:39:33 AM
Marc, Thanks, I love to play with my wood. on you post of turning green waste into recycling. this is just another aspect of how you can do it! Am I a cabinet maker(NO) but I have ideas, and my father told me to follow my instincts and this is where 30+ years of doing that has lead me, do I make mistakes,YES, every so often! but its a great way to get that (added value) out of my profession. I will tell you what I quoted the customer $400 to $500. as it turned out from the out come I am short selling myself, but like I said I am not a cabinet maker. If I where to market this bench in the right area I am sure I could get thousands, but I would rather build and sell than play the starving artist game. hope this puts a real grasp  on life in the wood bizz in perpective for you ! Tim
Tim,

I totally understand where you are coming from.  The further you can get down the value chain, the more little pieces of the pie.  Your take on that piece is much better than starving.  I also bet your customer will talk it up and show it off which will come back three fold.

T Welsh

Marc, I like pie :) pieces heck,I want the whole pie! and your right about coming back three fold,that is the way I do everything,I try no to gouge,but I do want to be paid well for my efforts. I always give the customer a little extra and it has paid off in spades over the years. 2nd coat sanded to 600 grit and 3rd coat just went on! here,s a couple of pictures. Tim

beenthere

You are not gonna wanna let that beauty outta the house. Just looks too good to sit outside by a pond. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!