iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving logs

Started by markkelly, October 16, 2011, 10:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovetails

If it is like the ones I have seen, the cross bar comes out,and after you load it,you put it back in place,then set load down on it.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Bandmill Bandit

thats the only type i have ever seen. One propane dealer in these parts had a double wide tandem trailer that will haul 1000 gal tanks. Used it to deliver tanks for oil field camps. Now that would be a sweet log trailer.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Left Coast Chris

Dr Buck, here are the steps to load the propane trailer:

1) Drive to site
2) Put two chanis about 6' apart next to the log
3) Roll the log over the chains with a Pevy
4) Remove the bottom cross bars from the trailer (they just sit on the frame)
5) Back over the log like a strattle buggy
6) Lower the battery operated hydraulic rams and spreader bar  that is now over the log
7) Take the chains that are under the log and put them through the D rings on the spreader bar and hook the chains to themselves forming a loop around the log
8) Raise the battery operated hydraulic rams and spreder bar lifting the loger higher than the frame of the trailer
9) Put the bottom cross bars across the trailer on each end of the log
10) Lower the log to rest on the cross bars and move chains from the spreader bar to the frame of the trailer and cinch down with binders
11) Raise spreader bar to travel position and haul log
12) Reverse process to unload log at home

The longest logs Ive lifted and hauled were 16' but I did haul some glulam beams that were 24' long but tung weight needed extra weight up front and I had to load by hand and push over the front of the trailer frame.  It does work well for retrieving logs from urban tree trimmers that leave the log in the street or driveway for quick lifting.  They like not having to handle the firewood and generally give the log free to get rid of it.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

JP135

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on October 21, 2011, 12:58:53 AM
Another option which can go down the highway.  This one cost $400 from the local propane company.

Man, that's handy as pockets on a shirt. Found one for sale near me but it's almost twice what you've got in yours and doesn't look like as good a trailer. I'm gonna keep looking.

Brad_bb

Norwood, one of this site's sponsors has some nice atv and Compact utility tractor accessories for moving logs.  they have a skidding attachment for both, as well as a winch incorporated.  They also have a set of forks that attach for moving either logs, or other things around.  I am planning to buy the attachment for my compact utility tractor (JD 855).
It's called the Norwood Multi-mate system.  About a third of the way through this video, the multimate stuff is shown.  It's cheaper on a compact utility tractor than the ATV system because the ATV system is a separate attachment.
http://youtu.be/VtTuhwk5plk
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DR Buck

LC Chris

Thanks for the explaination.  From the picture it's not obvious the cross frame pieces come out.   That makes it very nice.    Whats the max diameter that will fit between the verticles?

With my trailer I realy don't need anything like the propane tank hauler, but it sure is slick.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ironwood

The brindles are great for moving BIG BIG logs that nearly nothing but a crane would lift (6-8K) The log in the brindle is a walnut and the other pics are a HUJE elm that I also moved with the brindle. In the last pic look for the guy trimming (dark blue sweatshirt) in the 30-40' from the bottom for scale. MASSIVE.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DR Buck

What;'s the gross weight capacity of those tank haulers anyway.   From the looks of that tree Ironwood, you might have reached it.  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

mandolin

I bought an old pulpwood trailer and cut the loader and uprights off. I then welded new heavier uprights on one side and cut slots in the front to back beam on the other side so my mill loading ramps would work on it. I roll the logs up to the trailer and "cross-haul" up on the trailer with my tractor. I then chain and bind them down. My place is mostly steep hills and deep hollers and I can haul four or five good size logs easily. I got the trailer for $100.00 and it works great. I even haul logs on the road with it.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

Ironwood

I have reached it several times. Personally I like the ones with 8 bolt hubs, you can put better 16" tires on those others with 15".
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Brad_bb

So are we making any progress on how you're going to move logs cost effectively?

hilltop

This is how i move logs and many other things.

Loading Junk

Lifting Shingles on roof

Left Coast Chris

The propane tank hauling trailer will take 4'-6" in diameter (mine anyway).  Ironwoods looks like a ringer (same) as mine.  I can lift 6k lbs and maybe 8k if I push it and am staying off the highway.    6k is max for the highway due to the rating of the tires I have on it now.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ironwood

H & H is a very common brand.  have several here in various states of repair. I have two I would sell, 10% to FF.

Ironwood

5quarter

That homemade boom is shicker than slit ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

redbeard

Hilltop I just gotta know what is the boom made of ? ???
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Brad_bb

The original poster has not responded to any of the posts yet.

Ironwood

He is out moving logs.  :D  Utilizing all of our valuable input, he is out trying differing options provided.

Ironwood

thecfarm

Did you build the house with the mill too? Looks like you can make it longer with an extension too. I like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hilltop

Quote from: redbeard on October 31, 2011, 11:17:24 PM

Redbeard it is very simple it can be put on or taken off in less than 1 minute and a half, the boom is a junk piece of 4" pipe 16 foot long welded in the middle of a piece of 3" heavy duty angle as long as the blade and 2 good high tensile chains to go from the boom back to the top corners of the blade it is adjustable and 2 ratchet binders for the back of blade to hold it on i will try to get some pictures as soon as i can,
yes i did have an extension for the shingles, i did not get my mill till after i built the main house but i did saw all my porch material 10 foot all the way around the house.

Sixacresand

I am building a arc which I plan to pull with a Craftsman riding lawnmower or S 10 pickup.   In the meantime, I use an old tricycle tractor to carry logs.  The hydraulic lift isn't working so I hoist and balance the log under the rear axle and drive it to my little mill.  Its slow but I don't have to strain to make it work.  For long hauls, I use a trailer with side ramps to roll logs up on the trailer using a home made hand winch.  I am impressed by how large a log  I can load.  Moving logs is one thing.  You have to handle slabs and lumber also.  Right now I am blessed to have a trailer for each one and a wheel barrel for sawdust.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

hilltop

Quote from: redbeard on October 31, 2011, 11:17:24 PM

Took some picture today wasn't so grate but hope you can see good enough to help 

i welded chain's to the bottom of angle then welded a peace of angle on top of blade to hook  the binder's to then i welded hook's on top corner's of blade to hook boom chain's to it is height adjustable , when not using leave end of boom up on something like a log pile for hooking up again when need it only takes a minute or two to hook up or unhook it, When i first came up with the idea A lot of people told me it would not work.
What do ya think ?

Unhook binders and boom chain's

Raise blade

Back away, when you want to use it again just set blade in the angle and hook up!

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

redbeard

I used a slide on and clamp fork attachment that i can hook some tongs to. I had a customer show up with some heavy logs in a truck with a canopy today and if i can not have to use my back i will avoid it 10 out of 10 times.  It worked real well and is really handy for the short stuff.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Nice setup Jeff.  I see that you have "screwed logs" in Washington also.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!