The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: jred 2156 crankcase gasket  (Read 1236 times)

Offline thumper

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
jred 2156 crankcase gasket
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »
 :-\ im gettin a little frustrated with my 2156,, last summer, i put my saw together with a new case set and gasket set. about 8mos later, i smell motor oil like smoke and notice an oil smoke path coming out the muffler exit. plug crappy on intake side(also lean as heck looking) sure enough, case gasket got gooey and let bar oil in the crankcase.  i then replaced the crankcase seals and gasket again and reassembled the saw.  today (3-4 weeks later) same thing,,oil comin out the pipe,, crappy lookin plug.. what the heck could i be doing to this saw that would cause the case gasket to fail? everything was cleaned thoroughly and cleaned again..i might try yamabond on both sides of the gasket this time.. ive never had this happen on any others (repeatedly) lol. ???
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Offline motohed

• Share Post
Re: jred 2156 crankcase gasket
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »
You ansered your own question , I typically use hondabond . Make sure you degrease the cases good , and give it a day or two to set up after you put it all back together .

Offline snowshoveler

• Knotty Knot Sawmill
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »
have you been using the factory pullers/presses.
just curious.
 Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Offline T Welsh

• Senior Member x2
  • Woodmizer LT-40-HD http://www.welshtreeservice.com
    • Share Post
    • Welsh Tree Service
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
I had this happen on a Yamaha one time and did it twice and seized the thing twice. old timer told to put sand paper down on a flat metal table and hone the surfaces of the case until they where surfaced all the way around the gasket surface and then reinstall with Yamabond the stuff is good! you have already done what everybody else would do. My saying is 3 strikes and your out! I get frustrated real easy any more ;D Tim

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 04:31:33 AM »
Let me interject a thought on this .As I understand it the thing was fine for a period of time then developed a leak ?? It could possibley be the case bolts released their tension .

I know that might sound far fetched but bear with me a second .A screw for all intents acts like a spring under tension .To get the proper torque the bolt must be tightend to the yield point .That is that point the fastener is fully stretched to it's point where the torque of the bolt becomes almost liniar with it's rotation in degrees .At that point the fastener for all intents will not fail .

Some years ago Stihl had a model 042 and a larger 048 which were very good saws with one exception ,the case bolts were slotted head screws .Because of this often they would back out enough they developed case leaks .Replacement with either torx head or allen headed grade 8 bolts eliminated the problem .

Now FWIW I have a Wiha break over beam 1/4" torque wrench I always use on case bolts and cylinder bolts just to make darned sure the proper torque ratings are set and check them twice before I button the engine up .Might sound anal but that's my way of doing it .

Offline T Welsh

• Senior Member x2
  • Woodmizer LT-40-HD http://www.welshtreeservice.com
    • Share Post
    • Welsh Tree Service
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:39:20 AM »
Al, Good point, at this point in time any help thumper can get with this saw will save it from the junk pile or parts bin. Tim

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:32 AM »
 :D Well truth be known I've had some that annoyed me so much I went on a pout for a couple years and banished them to the shelf as punishment .Some times you just have to walk away .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
JRED 670

Started by Keltic on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2004, 10:49:15 AM
by Keltic
xx
jred 670?

Started by chucker on Chainsaws

18 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:41:31 AM
by chucker