iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seasoned Firewood

Started by JRServices, November 07, 2011, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRServices

I know this may seem like a very stupid question and you will ask me why I didnt start earlier, but I have a ton of people that want seasoned firewood from me and I only have green. Is there a method that I can take to season my firewood like within a month. I have a small barn I can store wood in and I was thinking of during the day when I am home, to put a small space heater in the barn to warm it up to dry the firewood out. Any suggestions would be great. I dont want any negative remarks please I am very new to this. When I am saying I have a ton of people wanting firewood from me I am talking 80 cord. I have enough wood its just not seasoned

Thank you
Cassidy

Corley5

You've encountered a problem most every firewood producer runs in to.  Installing a kiln is your only option to season wood in a month. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JRServices

can I build a kiln or how much do they run

beenthere

JR
Not a stupid question.

You can do some calculations on the amount of water that you will have to evaporate and the BTU's to do that. It however will be a "ton" of water and take a "ton" of heat.

I would expect that you will be better off not trying to invest in that venue and bank the green wood in a place that it will dry some for next years' sales.  Sell what you can as "green" wood but just don't risk telling them it is seasoned if it isn't.

Curious about your situation, but in the other thread we were curious as well and didn't hear back from you.  ::)
We don't have to have replies, but we would like to help if we can.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Some wait until the last minute than want it all. The only thing you can do is cut more now and sell it dry next year,without adding a kiln. Also if trying to dry with a space heater and than you say it is "dry" and I doubt it will be dry and customers are not happy,who will buy from you next year?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

Besides...you spend more running the bloody heater than you get out of the wood...
Commercial kilns start around forty grand from what I understand...
Some guys build them out of insulated containers.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

motohed

Hi JR
I try to keep my wood two to three years out . I made a drying unit for summer time out of some old cover it garages that had gotten damaged . We got some heavy mil black  plastic and stretched it over the top and ricked the wood on palates to put under the the tarp an used a fan to move the air . This worked pretty well . My problem was the volume of wood we sell , is to high for what we had to work with in the cover it garages . We also use a moisture meter to check our wood for moisture content , lesss than 10% is good dry wood . The cover it garages wook very well at drawing the moisture out , and we still use it if we end up with some wet wood in the spring , after firewood season .

shelbycharger400

it will burn around 18 to 20 percent, just takes a little longer to get a hot fire going. 

zopi

But usually coals up better...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

leonz

Quote from: JRServices on November 07, 2011, 05:01:08 PM
I know this may seem like a very stupid question and you will ask me why I didnt start earlier, but I have a ton of people that want seasoned firewood from me and I only have green. Is there a method that I can take to season my firewood like within a month. I have a small barn I can store wood in and I was thinking of during the day when I am home, to put a small space heater in the barn to warm it up to dry the firewood out. Any suggestions would be great. I dont want any negative remarks please I am very new to this. When I am saying I have a ton of people wanting firewood from me I am talking 80 cord. I have enough wood its just not seasoned

Thank you
Cassidy

Hello Cassidy,

About the only way you will dry firewood quickly is to purchase a very
small Porta Hut to throw a cord of firewood in to heat up and try to dry
up your firewood using  kerosene space heater.

Your going to burn a lot of fuel to dry your firewood.

John Mc

Quote from: leonz on November 09, 2011, 12:05:37 AM
About the only way you will dry firewood quickly is to purchase a very
small Porta Hut to throw a cord of firewood in to heat up and try to dry
up your firewood using  kerosene space heater.

Your going to burn a lot of fuel to dry your firewood.

I'd be more inclined to burn that fuel heating my house, rather than trying to dry firewood with it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

That's what I do. I use seasoned wood, but the furnace heat keeps driving the water out from the stacked wood. The slabs open up from checks and the bark falls off by mid winter. The RH is usually under 30% in the house.  ;D

Winter is the best time of the year. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Say what,winter is the best time of the year . ??? I wish I could share your zeal and enthuisiasm but I find myself lacking .

So what is seasoned or not ,oak, ash ,swamp willow ? If it's ash it's all dead  anyway,It'll burn .

SwampDonkey

:D I guess some of us enjoy it more.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

250quality

Do what we do. Be glad your done for a while and its all gone. Lasted about a week here and now back in the bush cutting and skidding to start the cycle all over again!
Green wood is money in the bank for next year and now you know you need more so go hard!

WH_Conley

Somebody check and see if SwampDonkey is sick. He's talking out of his head.
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 11, 2011, 07:25:21 AM
:D I guess some of us enjoy it more.

Them "southerners" just don't understand it. But when you live where its winter 6+ months of the year you have to sort of enjoy it.  8) ;D

Raider Bill

I didn't understand it either so after living in the snowy/cold north for over 30 years I moved to Florida. 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Al_Smith

:D There was a time in my life actually about half my working life where I had no choice but to freeze my behind off in inclimate weather .Things have changed I only do so now if I want to because I don't have to .

Now winter itself is tollerable,nice warm fire .View of new fallen snow ,bear (bare ) hunting under the sheets .Stuff like that .Ohio is a more tropical area than NB or Mich .We only have 5 months of winter and 7 months of bad weather or so it seems at times .If you don't like the weather just wait a few days ,it will change .Tank yew berry much Lake Erie .

SwampDonkey

I guess I've never been froze up yet. When they have to thaw me out, I'll report back. ;D :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 11, 2011, 08:38:02 AM
:D There was a time in my life actually about half my working life where I had no choice but to freeze my behind off in inclimate weather .Things have changed I only do so now if I want to because I don't have to .

Now winter itself is tollerable,nice warm fire .View of new fallen snow ,bear (bare ) hunting under the sheets .Stuff like that .Ohio is a more tropical area than NB or Mich .We only have 5 months of winter and 7 months of bad weather or so it seems at times .If you don't like the weather just wait a few days ,it will change .Tank yew berry much Lake Erie .

Mine was Lake Ontario..... CCCCold!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jasperfield

Along this subject, the USAToday online newspaper had a "NOTAM", of sorts, from the EPA (which is not dead, yet) about pollution from burning firewood. The article mentioned burning "seasoned" wood.

It (the article) also had a map of the U.S. showing those states experiencing increases in the number of firewood-burning households over a ten year period.

John Mc

Jasperfield -  you must be a pilot, or somehow otherwise connected to aviation. "NOTAM" is not all that common a term (Notice to Airmen).

Here's a link to USA Today's recent article.

And here's a link to one USA Today ran 5 years ago

Basically, they say the same thing. The older, pre-1992 EPA regulation woodstoves are a real problem ("a wood stove sold before stiffer regulations took effect in 1992 can emit as much pollution as seven diesel buses"), the newer ones are not so much of a concern.

OWBs are getting increasing scrutiny (no surprise there). Those that meet the voluntary 2007 EPA guidelines are much less of a concern.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

iceman7668

I am with you Swampdonkey, I have been an avid icefisherman all my life. Nothing beats it except cutting firewood in my opinion!
John D Myers

Al_Smith

Oh Lawdy please don't tell me  the EPA isn't satisfied with already  having the chainsaw police  now they have the wood stove police .What next an EPA endorsed horse ?

Speaking of horse, sounds like a bunch of  horse -----. Well er in other words perhaps better termed organic fertilizer for the more gentile among us myself obviously not  one of same .  

Thank You Sponsors!