iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendation on Wood Fireplace Manufacturer

Started by Hoss, November 16, 2011, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss

I want to install a wood fireplace (not a stove, insert, or boiler) and would like suggestions on a good brand. I was pretty excited about the Napoleon NZ6000 but all the reviews on the internet seem to be negative. I would like a large firebox that puts out a lot of heat. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Hoss

beenthere

What are the comments that are negative?

Do you buy this as a kit and build the rest of the fireplace and chimney around it? Apparently they don't call it an insert that would slide into an existing fireplace, so leaves one to wonder what makes it a fireplace.

Interested in hearing more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

If you want a very good heating unit look into a masonry heater or prefab soapstone heater kits.  The mass of these heaters will heat a house with 1 good burn a day. I have seen 2 prefab units installed and they worked great.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

stumper

I have an xtordinair fireplace.  A 36 I think.  It is made by the same parent company as lopi.  I installed it while building my house in 1991 and used it every year till I purchased an eclassic 2300 in 2008.  It worked quite well.  I had to replace the catalitic converter a couple of times and a plate once and a switch once, the door casket a couple of times and the glass in one door once.  The catalitic was about 200, the plate I made the steel cost maybe 10, the switch was maybe 20 to 25, door gasket 10, not sure on the glass but that broke due to a teen age boy no fault of the fireplace.  The fan on mine needs to be lubed a couple of times a year.  Overall it ran well.  I heated my house  (3200 sq ft.) and hot water in central maine witch about 5 cords and 450 gallons of oil per year.  If I were to do it over I would but would probably install the larger unit.  I would check out that unit.

I now use the Eclassic, 6 cords and 85 gallons of oil.  The house is more comfortable and maintains a steadier temp, heating the far bed rooms much better, but there have been a lot more issues with the eclassic.  Yes sometimes I miss the flicker of a fire.

Good luck

Hoss

beenthere---these units are usually welded steel fireboxes lined with firebrick. The steel firebox is covered in insulation and then the outer shell is sheetmetal. The chimney is metal and the sheetmetal box is covered by you with stone or brick and there you have fireplace.
Holmes---I agree with you that masonry heaters are great heaters---but they are probably out of my price range. We are going to put this fireplace in a vacation cabin so we would like to have a big firebox with a good size fire in it. I have been told that masonry heaters have small fireboxes in which you build a raging quick fire.
Stumpe---The xtordinair is a great looking unit. But I would like to stay away from a catalitic converter if possible. The maintenance items you listed--- I have heard others mention similar problems. I also heard that the fan takes outside air and cools the chimney and blows by the firebox to heat the room air. It would seem to make more sense to heat room air and blow it back into the room. I am still considering the xtorodinair though.
Thanks for all the input.
Hoss

stumper

I do understand, but please remember that the issues I listed were over an 18 year period heating the house in central Maine from October into April or May.  Some on here thing the Eclassic is the best thing going but I have had more issues in three years with it then 18 years with the other.  My version is the block in style that they discontinued, the fireplace mass absorbed and radiated a lot of heat.

Hoss

Stumper--- That's a point well made---I didn't realize those issues were over 18 years. You got me thinking that the xtorodinair deserves real consideration.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Hoss

Thank You Sponsors!