iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New project, we'll see how it unfolds.

Started by SwampDonkey, November 20, 2011, 04:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'd love to see another video of the actual weaving.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Quite a project to get set up even before you start weaving, well done on the video.

SwampDonkey

I would like to do a video sometime (don't know when with all the other stuff) of making warp pile on the loom with steel rods in place of the weft yarn every 3 or 4 picks to lift the yarn into a looped pile like with bath towels and face cloths. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Experimenting with terry cloth. Using some left over cotton yarns.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5gwvUzAlI

Final results after hemmed and washed.

After this first sample, I have decided to modify the threading a little to increase the pile density slightly. Then I think it will be about perfect. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I wondered how it was done.  Makes sense.   :)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, when doing terry cloth the pile (green threads) have to be twice as long or more than the ground threads (white/orange). This is because those loops obviously take up the yarn quicker, so the ground and the pile need to be on separate beams. The pile has to be slacker, but just enough so it doesn't sag in the shed to snag on the shuttle when it passes. The ground has to be tensioned good to make good cloth.

Magicman

That is exactly what I thought......  smiley_dizzy

SwampDonkey

Also, if you look at your bath linens, a facecloth has less loop density than a towel. The facecloth is for washing and the towel is for drying, thus the difference. Cotton loops are better at drying than if felted (by cutting the loops). ;)

SwampDonkey

Things are expanding. I visited Lee Valley for some clamps, and sanding/shaping aids, screws, panel connectors for setting up my second beam and roller on the loom and an in-line vise for my bench. I need one more stop later at the Leclerc loom distributor for a brake system for the new roller.

The ultimate challenge is building a draw bridge to weave more complex patterns. ;)

curdog

Wow, somehow I've missed this thread until now. Every time I look in the woodworking section I am impressed with the talent of folks on this forum, but this is amazing. I am having a hard time imagining the time skill and patience it took to build and operate this. SD my hats off to you. I have a hard time finding the patience to carve a spoon. ;D

SwampDonkey

You're new to the forum, so you have lots to dig up and read beyond the first pages of each board. ;D  8)

SwampDonkey

One roller isn't enough if two different grist yarns are used in the warp of a weave. So here is a second roller and beam. ;D This will handle pile and padding yarns which are not wove into the cloth with high tension. Example applications are bath towel pile and cord weave padding. The round pieces (half moons) in the middle are flanges that keep the yarn from slipping out and becoming more slack when weaving. They are adjusted along the beam width with wind nuts to match the weaving width. There is also a beam stick that sits in a groove to tie the yarn ends onto before winding. A pawl and ratchet are using when winding on the yarn and a spring tensor is on a drum brake for allowing the warp to advance while weaving under light tension. Tension of the drum brake will be adjusted by link chain and a coil spring.

SwampDonkey

Here is the brake. Already to apply the finish, once I disassemble it. ;D

Warbird

Sure wish you lived closer.  I'd love to see the loom being used and watch the patterns come to life.

isawlogs

After a few days of driving he would be only a short peice away on a big map. ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I'll need to make a longer video, once I get on broad band service. Won't take a lifetime to upload to YouTube. ;D

SwampDonkey

A local magazine called AgelessNB has written an article about my loom. It is published in the Summer 2015 edition. The magazine has a small circulation I think. But the site is here below. Maybe some NB folks have read the magazine.  :)

http://www.agelessnb.ca

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!