iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD firewood processor.

Started by Bibbyman, November 22, 2011, 08:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WH_Conley

I was wondering if they were gonna show him loosing fingers.
Bill

Al_Smith

Oh my that thing scares me and I'm fearless .That thing could lop off an arm and never crack the governer on that old Allis .

Dean186

Just crazy, and that homemade splitter doesn't look any faster overall than a standard splitter.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

I see the last vid of splitter to be much safer than the baler variety. But wouldn't operate either one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tomsteve

scared the bejeebers outta me just watchin.

sawguy21

:o Timing is everything with both machines. The operators need to be very alert. I would not use them or even watch, don't want to practice first aid on a severed hand.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Down below the last one are videos of a "screw" splitter.  My Son and came by a location where a family was using one that was PTO driven.  The next week their late Son became entangled in the screw.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Logjam

I like the way you think , but not for me i still need my arm's and hand's .

Al_Smith

Well actually my dad built a screw splitter about 35 years ago and it worked pretty good .It however ran through a gear reduction and had a kill switch safety on it .

That said though there were a lot of accidents from people hanging them on a tractor power take off .I never heard of anyone getting wound up in one but they broke a lot of arms .

Taylortractornut

I made an adapter to put a  scrw splitter on  a  skid steer loaders   phd  power head.  you could drive around and bust  rounds. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

toolman18

I think is very good idea and very fast (split cycle ), oh yeah a little dangerous to :D.  However it could be made very safe by adding a hopper on top with a timed escapement to drop the logs into the splitter.

4speed

Those videos made my hands hurt. I think I'll stick with my 8 pound maul.

Randy88

Some inventions in life should not be filmed, those are two of them, scared me to death and I was sitting in my chair watching on my computer at the time.     The first one left me speachless to say the least, imagine what he could do with one of these big square balers used today, with a 200 hp tractor on the pto shaft.

Ford_man

Ya Just back the truck up to it and dump it, the wood comes out all split.
splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Piston

That's just crazy! 

I've always been interested in the Super Split style log splitter, but always a little nervous about the safety aspect of the fast cycle time.  Those 2 vids make the Super Split look like child's play  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ironwood

Super Splits are VERY nice indeed.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mizzou

They are effective though.  There are videos of some others around.  Saw one that didn't require your hands to be near the ram, you just dropped the log in.

Lambee10

Never seen a hay baler-log spitter.  I think it works better as a baler...no need to get the timing right for making a bale.

I must admit it cracked me up though when it stalled it and then things started flying off.
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Hilltop366

Poor bugger got several warnings from that thing but does not seem to be catching on, I figure breaking the angle iron off was better than getting the block of wood in the face. Perhaps one of those pto slip clutches would help a bit but I would hate to encourage him.

Tor Arne

I grow up using one simular to the first one, never got hurt. You just have to be sober when operating. Btw ouers was made of a Bedford truc gearbox and a axle that was modified. A lot safer than the screw type splitter that has been illegall to use by the Norwegian Labour Inspection

MapleNut

I wouldn't have enough courage to try that splitter if I WAS sober!!! ;)
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

r.man

Basic prototypes without guards tend to be dangerous. If that machine had a set of fingers that held the block out of the splitting chamber until the head was in the back position and a bit of guarding it would be safer than a table saw for most people. The way it is now is almost suicidal.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!