iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleaning saw blades

Started by mooleycow, November 22, 2011, 06:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooleycow

get metal tub, sink. large bucket.  put blades in.  fill with hot sink water and boil water also.  put in  powdered wash detergent.  let soak about 20 minutes.  raise the blade up with a stick and brush rosin off with tooth brush.  don't get caught in the kitchen sink with the wifes tooth brush! 

CHARLIE

Yeah, some wimmin would complain about anything.  :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Cardius

I dont mess up the sink, just use up all the oven cleaner.

DouginUtah

I've heard that you should not use oven cleaner on carbide-toothed blades.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

caveman

For cleaning 93 1/2" band saw blades or a 10" table saw blade, I put them in the bottom of a five gallon bucket and soak over night in simple green  or a citrus based cleaner.  The blades wipe clean and the liquid cleaner is poured back into the storage container.  On larger bandsaw blades like those used on a 20" bandsaw, the blades are coiled and put into the bottom of a clean garbage can just as the smaller ones are put in a bucket.  There is very little waste.  I have used oven cleaner when in a hurry.  Caveman
Caveman

D._Frederick

DouginUtah
I have a Freud combination blade that was dull that I decided was not worth the sharpening cost. I took a spray can type oven cleaner and sprayed it till covered, then wired brushed it off while rinsing with water. It took off all the printing on blade down to bare metal. It is 100% clean. It only took about a couple minutes per side, I can not see any visible  damage, but before using it would put it under a microscope. Should be able to see any etching I would think. I don't know if carbite is porous enough to absorb the lye and cause damage.

Thank You Sponsors!