The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: cold weather felling wedges  (Read 8121 times)

Offline Reddog

• Senior Member x2
  • Forest & Urban woody plant management
    • Share Post
Re: cold weather felling wedges
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
Pillar plastics makes a Super-Tuff wedge solid yellow in color. It is softer than the standard double lift they make. In the winter you can drive them hard, I have not broke one yet.

Offline WildDog

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
How about aluminium wedges for falling? Not sure about low temps, I live in one of the coldest places in Australia but don't experience temps below -16 deg celcius. The aluminium stands up to our heavy eucalypts. I only use steel for splitting posts out of billets.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 06:33:52 AM »
I havn't seen an alumunum wedge for decades .

Offline Reddog

• Senior Member x2
  • Forest & Urban woody plant management
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »
You can still get Alum's and Magnesium wedges on the west coast. But it takes some digging to find the suppliers.
Plus in real cold temps like -20F they flake worse than the plastic ones. Also they are quite cold to work with, suck the heat right out of your gloves.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »
Well yes they would .Because of the free valance electrons aluminum is a great conducter of both heat and electricity .

Ya know I just might start using a dead blow to thump wedges .I have a hard time hitting the same place twice with the heel of an axe .One reason I never got into the axe stuff in lumber competitions .Lawdy they'd be calling me toeless Al by now .

On the other hand with my inaccuracies of swing I became very very good at changing axe handles over the years .

Offline stumper

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 07:23:33 AM »
Who sells Pillar Plastic?  Available on the internet?  I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Offline downeast

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Used Baileys' green wedges for years only with leaners or when the tree needs to go exactly where it doesn't want to go: canopy weighting, terrain, or  brush that I don't have time to clear. They're indispensable. Yes, they will break often below 10 F, but the price for a dozen is cheap enough.
A older, better skilled logger showed me his "stone hammer" for banging wedges--more like a short version of a sledge hammer that's compact for carry.
You'd be surprised how much lean a few wedges can correct. If I had more smarts  :o  I could explain the formula for determining how many degrees of lean single and double wedges will correct for felling. Someone here will either know it or google it.
And wedging will correct any insecurity about your hinge. Wedges are much more than backlean tools. Nice trick for your bag of.

Offline tree chopper

• gotta love it
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 06:29:08 AM »
my wedge is a 170 franklin skidder i just notch the tree and back cut it leaving a good amount of hinge wood and push it with the skidder works great
me my son a 1968 chevy c50 log truck 1972 franklin 160 with a 453 detroit a prentice h model log loader with a cab mounted on a 1985 international s model huskee woodsplitter and a old military conveyor 2165 josered 2188 jonsered 266 husky 455 husky 036 pro stihl 460 magnum stihl and a p52 pioneer

Offline downeast

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 07:44:59 AM »
Many of us landowners don't have that kind of HD equipment for harvesting small amounts of sawlogs, pulp, and firewood.
Besides, Skidders don't do well on rough, boggy, hilly, or rocky terrain like too many of us have. It's not difficult to learn how to safely and efficiently fell with and without wedges on a non-pro small scale. All of our harvesting including the 6-8 cords of firewood is done solo with saws, and an ATV and trailer that gets into places a skidder can't go. Fell, limb, clean slash, buck, load, stack, split, stack, burn. It's the GoodBody way. 8)

Offline Cutting Edge

• Share Post
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
I was wondering the same thing as the original post. I keep breaking the plastic ones when I drive them hard to fall a leaner. I never thought of wood wedges. I've got some 4/4 oak that I think I could cut into some wedges. Any secret to making a wood wedge? It would certainly be cheaper than the last plastic wedge I bought for $10.

Elm makes a great wedge.  I make 'em with my little shop bandsaw.  Just use a tapering jig and you can make several in 5 minutes.  As we all know, Elm holds up to splitting quite well.  The head will mushroom some, if it gets to bad just give it a haircut...good as new.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline delgra

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
Hello 'tree chopper', I liked your 'winch' the best of all!! I do the same with my fel. One must be careful to not let the tree go sideways on you. We lost a pro guy last fall doing the very thing with a skidder and a huge poplar, tree went to the side and fell on him.

Offline downeast

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 06:53:05 AM »
All the pro loggers ( and us woodlot hacks  ;D ) never would use skidders or FELs for felling....too dangerous and unskilled. If a tree can't be dropped with saw, experience, and maybe wedges, don't do it. Big tire gear can't get onto our tough terrain anyhow--bony, boggy, hilly--unless it's a harvester like a Timberjack ( tank treads ) used by many loggers now if they can afford one.

I'll go through a dozen of the Baileys green wedges in a season: they do crack, get cut, and snap.

Offline westyswoods

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
Short time ago we couldn't find our wedges so my feller cut some out of a down elm. New to me, but it didn't take him any time had four done and they worked great. Me feller is a young man (compared to many of us) and I have learned so much working with him. Always nice to learn new stuff no matter how old one is. He has the ability to share knowledge in a very simple and friendly manner.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cold weather felling wedges

Started by Firewoodjoe on Forestry and Logging

27 Replies
Last post February 22, 2020, 08:02:35 PM
by Firewoodjoe
xx
Felling Wedges, what ones do you guys like.

Started by JOE.G on Forestry and Logging

56 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 02:05:05 PM
by lumberjack48
xx
Felling wedges. Which brand is best

Started by Bthomasb3 on Forestry and Logging

38 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 03:11:35 PM
by Skeans1
xx
Stacking wedges in felling tree