iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first go at chainsaw carving....

Started by zopi, December 23, 2011, 01:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Third time....gonna have to score a carving bar soon...

Lud those are great...I dig that owl...gonna have to tackle that one too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Buck

nice stuff guys, keep the pics coming. Hey, show some of the tools and bits your using.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Dale Hatfield

Here are a couple that I have done.I need to get more photos up loaded .
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Thanks for sharing Dale.  I look forward to seeing more of your work.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

That bear is amazing!  That was some chunk of wood  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Busy Beaver Lumber

Dale

Those carvings are awesome. Do you ever work the chainsaw carving festival in Leo Indiana in September?

Would love to see you carve and see if I could learn something from a true master.

Zopi - I think you are showing quite a talent for this. After only 3 tries, the bear with the heart looks great.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

zopi

Aww...thanks...that log sucked though...had some rot in it...
Dale those are awesome...i really like the indian princess.

I will keep messing with it...it is fast and fun to do. Have located a couple of sites with some how to's and a little deeper info....saw a little quick bear on one yesterday that I will try...and a bear that hangs on a four by four post.....gonna try. Bear with a sailor's dixie cup.

Next year am planning to own the pumpkin carving contest...will carve the pumpkin out of wood then carve the jack o lantern out of the pumpkin...

Since I live in the ham capital, was thinking of carving a decent sized hog and having it mysteriously appear downtown one night....lol...the local newspaper owner/editor would eat that up...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Somebody said air guitar this morning....thought it would be a good warm up excercise..done in some white oak that was too iffy to put in the sticker stack...
Youngest daughter has demanded a violin done the same way. Those f holes are doing to suck...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Midget bear holding a heart...
Lined up tomorrow...punkins...I hear they sell phast....
And I am going to attempt a hummingbird in flight...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Clam77

A guitar, or violin, that can actually play.....  now THAT would bring in some money I'd think..    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

zopi

Eh..maybe...the point of the excercise is to keep my attention deficit butt from getting..SQUIRREL!....Distracted...I like this becaise it is only as fiddly and detailed as the carver wants...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Lud

Dale,  You have an artist's eye.   Well done.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dale Hatfield

Guys
When you want to put a carving bar on you saw. A quarter size bar will fit most saws. I however I like to run them with 3/8 low pro chain. They cut like a lazer. The downside to that is that sprocket chainand bar wear very fast. It so much faster that Im wiiling to pay the extra for the speed.
I block or ruff out shape with 372 husky and 20 inch bar or 395 with a 36 inch bar depending on size of carving.
Then I move on to the Qtr tip bars. I have them on Echo 360 400 ( I think)( 14/16inch bars I think)
Then to the dime tip bars for final detail. I really dont use them much as the qtr tip does about all I really nead. I would say less than 15 20 mins per carving.
A dime tip Bar will only fit some saws as the sprocket has to changed to 1/4 pitch . Because a dime tip bar can only run 1/4 pitch chain.
Check with Baileys to see if they have a sprocket to fit your saw. http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=65
I like to wear a hardhat with forestry faceshield and muffs.  Keeps the pine crumbs from sticking in my stash.
Chaps and some tunes on the MP3 player

The above info should save you a bunch of trouble and time and money. Because if you check for sprokets first, then you wont find yourself holding a bar that wont work on your saw.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

zopi

As soon as I am able I will likely add another ms 180 or 170 with a quarter bar...might try the 3/8 low pro when my control is a bit better. I am sure the first time I get into a big sculpture I will decide that the 3/8 is the way to go.
I may get up with someone who carves woth echos or huskys and try them out...stihl is local to me and they are what I am used to.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

It is raining here today. went out and put the sawmill back in it's shed and it looks like that is about what I will get today...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

clww

Great carvings all!
Wet here today, too...
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You VA. boys ARE getting a bunch of rain. I looked on the weather map.....ya'll need to carve a boat!  :)

We got 2 inches of rain in S.C. this morning, now the wind is blowing 30 to 40 mph. They'll be NO sawdust left to clean off the LT40 in the morning!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

It's on it's way up here to. I here the old snow sliding off the roof, it's above freezing. No wind much here, yet. But suppose to be blowing in off the coast.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redbeard

I really enjoy this thread, I really enjoy watching the carvers at local events it is real popular around my area. I saw a  advertisement for a new reality TV show coming out called "Saw Dogs" about chainsaw carvers i googled it and saw some video of it. looks interesting. Anyone know any more about it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

GF

That is some great work  smiley_thumbsup.  More pics.

GF

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

That is some awesome grain in the shroom.  What is it?  Elm?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Looking good zopi, keep at it.  :)

To darken the wood, air you using a butane torch to scorch it or something?

Thank You Sponsors!