Sponsors:

Bright green wood?

Started by gspren, January 11, 2012, 06:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

If it's not one thing it's another.  ::)  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gspren

Well if it's valuable I hope it's valuable in pieces 20" long and split! :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

OneWithWood

Dodgy, will you include close ups of the endgrain pore structure?

I have my Hoadley's out waiting  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dodgy Loner

Okay, OWW. Game on ;D

I will post some pics and let the guessing games begin!

Here's a pic of the bark from gspren's Mystery Wood:

Here is a face-grain lineup; Mystery Wood is on the far left, along with some other likely candidates for comparison.

And finally, the end-grain: Mystery Wood on top. The rest are in the same order as the face-grain pic. Can you ID them all?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

I am going with:

#1).  Mulberry

#2).  Mulberry

#3).  Black Locust

#4).  Osage orange
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on April 28, 2012, 10:56:49 PM
I am going with:

#1).  Mulberry

#2).  Mulberry

#3).  Black Locust

#4).  Osage orange

I pretty much agree with WDH except wondering about the mulberry. He is probably right-- I am learning not to bet against him....
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

It is a good idea not to bet against WDH when it comes to tree and wood ID. He nailed it :)

I was surprised to find out that the wood was mulberry, because I have cut quite a bit of it, and I've never seen any that was bright green upon first cutting, but all the diagnostic characteristics are there. The wood is now bright yellow, the grain is strongly ring-porous, the pores are occluded with tyloses, and the sapwood band is only 3 rings wide. This description can fit 3 woods that I am aware of: mulberry, black locust, and osage-orange.

To narrow it down to one, I planed the endgrain smooth to compare it to samples of known identity. The true identity of the Mystery Wood is plainly evident upon examination of the endgrain. Black locust and osage-orange have a single solid line of large pores at the beginning of each annual ring, with gradually a little more space between the pores the farther you move into the latewood. Mulberry, on the other hand, has a wider band of pores all nestled together in the earlywood, with the pores abruptly becoming smaller and more widely spaced in the latewood.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

SwampDonkey

Nice job on the pictures Dodgy. Helps a lot to see them end grain pictures.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gspren

Originally when I looked at the log before I cut it I thought mulberry but the bright green color threw me off so I googled mulberry and decided against it and posted the question here. The adjacent pasture was recently plowed and had soil tests done which showed high magnesium, could this or some other soil condition cause the green? I really need to take time to learn how to post pictures.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doctorb

Cool.  thanks.  I learned a lot!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

OneWithWood

Late to the game, as usual.

I concur with the analysis above.  Largely because you all know a whole lot more about it than I do  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dodgy Loner

Thanks to gspren for sending me the wood sample. I had fun with this, and it was nice to get a firm resolution.

To answer your question about what could have caused the unusual coloration, I can honestly say that I don't know.I just identified a sample of mulberry for hackberry jake that had atypical coloration, so I do know that mulberry can have a wide range of color. More variation than I realized was possible beforehand!

WDH

Those tyloses always clog things up  :D.

Dodgy,

Nice tip about the distribution of the earlywood (Before-Dawn-Wood (Thanks David!))) pores.

Mulberry is a chameleon like black oak  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

:o  Maybe there's a mulberry revolution going on out there-- things could get real sticky, folks! Be sure to have your bunkers in order, your larders well stocked, and plenty of ammo on hand! Those nefarious mulberries are morphing into who-knows-what!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on April 29, 2012, 11:34:19 AM
Mulberry is a chameleon like black oak  :D.

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 29, 2012, 04:01:35 PM
Those nefarious mulberries are morphing into who-knows-what!

Yes, I definitely wasn't expecting to identify two mulberry samples in one week! Mulberries are coming out of the woodwork! (;D) And the seem to have berry bad intentions! (::))

WDH

I will take it out on my favorite berry tree tomorrow  :).

Roxie

Very scientific, but the easiest way to identify Mulberry, is to mow under it wearing any light colored clothing.  If the brilliant orange of Osage doesn't warn you away, walk (or drive) under a grove when the seed pods are dropping.  Can you say concussion? 

Like reaching the end of a very good book, the build up of suspense has left me a bit sad that the mystery has been solved, but it has been fascinating. 
Say when

WDH

Roxie,

I will have to give those two methods a try  :D.

SwampDonkey

I don't know if she's picking osage or coconuts.  ;D ;)

tyb525

We have several mulberry trees on the edge of a field, when the crop is heavy the ground becomes saturated with fermented fruit. If you mow or walk under them they literally squish, smell like a brewery, and get your shoes/tires all wet with almost-alcohol.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JohnW

Yes, I've seen and smelled the fermented mulberries before.  Some people have told me that it will get the critters eating the mulberries drunk.  I haven't seen that though.

Thank You Sponsors!