iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long time visitor, first time poster! Need advice regarding low budget milling.

Started by Ozarkian, January 16, 2012, 09:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I would go and see both the lt10 and boardwalk Jr in action before deciding. That's what I did. The choice was clear to me when I saw the construction methods used on each mill. I tried to look up the weight on the Jr but couldn't find anything, but when they say "more saw for less money" I'd be willing to say they are correct. The jr is built very heavy duty. And you get 3 more HP.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ozarkian

8) CONGRATULATIONS HACKBERRY JAKE! 8) You were the 100th reply to my first topic here at FF! You won a brand new ***(this reply has been interrupted to bring you a very important message...)***
Cont'd- So tell us Jake, how does it feel? I wish I had one of those!

;D
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Fly Fisher

Ozarkian, if you have access to a computer, check out Sawmill Exchange, there is a used Kasco 111 manual mill in your price range. There appears to be some repairs needed on this mill so the price could probably be negotiated. A friend of mine has one of these mills and after he got all the bugs worked out of his mill it cuts good lumber and Kasco has pretty good customer service.

Ozarkian

laugh_at
Quote from: Fly Fisher on January 26, 2012, 09:28:24 AM
if you have access to a computer,
This made me laugh a little...  We are on a forum!!!  Yes, I am on a computer.  I even check from my iPhone as well!  The Kasco does appear to be a potentially good buy, but I am very happy with the offer I have received (see my next topic I started, https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55743.0.html).  I have checked out that website frequently, as well as sawmill trader.  I finally received this offer, by posting a Wanted ad on Craigslist in my area, as well as the surrounding areas. 

Could be a great purchase for somebody, but I have already agree'd to buy this lot.

Thanks for the heads up Fly Fisher!
-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Meadows Miller

I got access to a computer but my computer access aint that crash hot  :-\ :) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That would be a good way to go for someone who is handy and as you said Kasco's have been around awhile and do a good job from what I hear ;):)

Ozarkian you got a dang good deal on all that gear your basicly set up with a full blown woodworking setup for a fraction of what it would cost Mate ;):):)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Fly Fisher

Glad you caught the computer humor, didn't know if you looked at Sawmill Exchange but I see you found a better deal going through Craigs list.Congratulations on your find.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Fly I forgot to say Welcome to The Forum  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Where abouts are you from and what do you do Mate ???

Regards Chris

broylescc

I have been cruising this forum for a week or so and this is my first comment on anything but just wanted to say keep watching craigslist and want adds. I have been looking for a mill for a year or so, but also couldnt afford a new mill or anything I was finding online. I was picked up a free want ad paper called ozark trader and found an ad that just said it was a mill that needed a little work and had been sitting a few years. So I called and it was a boardwalk mill built in Ash Flat, AR and it needed two pillow bearings and the shaft for the one of the band wheels. It has a 16hp twin cyl briggs that runs great. I talked him down to $1600 and all I had to do is replace the tires that were dry rotted and pulled it home. It cost me about $60 to fix the mill and it works perfect!! It was built well and I dont think I could have bought the steel for the bed for what I gave for it let alone the engine and band wells. So even though I am very new to this I know there are deals to be found. I will post pics in few days.

paul case

Welcome broylesscc,
That was a deal on a mill. Is it an ez boardwalk mill made by Edward Zimmerman? I am excited for you anyway, but you know what they say, No pics?it didn't happen. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ozarkian

13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Ozarkian

Broylesllc: Well welcome to the Forestry Forum!  And congratulations on your score! That is awesome, can't wait to see some pictures of the stuff you've cut with it.

I'll be making my trip down across the border to Arkansas to pick up my EZ Boardwalk JR soon!  Then all I'll need is the tow package from Mr. Zimmerman and i'll be good to go! With many pictures to follow. :)

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

hackberry jake

When I talked to you on the phone yesterday I thought about offering to sell you my trailer package since my mill is now set up partially permanent, but you never know when you might need to move things so I think ill just hang onto it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ozarkian

Jake: I would be more than happy to buy it off of you!  You'd be much closer and I could swing by on my way to pick it up - you'd be a lifesaver.

You may never know when you "might" need to move it, but we all know we could use some extra money ;) $$
-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Bill Gaiche

broylescc, welcome aboard and have fun with all FF people on here. You made a good deal on your purchase. bg

Meadows Miller

Welcome to The Forum Broylescc ;):):) It wont take much sawing to get your investment back on that The 3120 Husky I brought back in about 94 for the second CSM we built cost me $3700 still cut a power off timber though  :) ;) :D ;D 8)

thecfarm

Broylescc,welcome to the forum. Ever been around a mill before? What's all the lumber going to be used for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ozarkian

I've been reading on stickering a little bit, and am curious where to get a bunch of them starting out that are already dried?

I don't have my equipment yet, so I can't cut some to begin drying.  Any suggestions, or anybody near by have a bunch they wanna give/trade/sell?

Also, what is the "best" way to stack? I was thinking of getting used pallets to set on ground and leveling, then stack n stickering then put some cinder blocks or large rocks on top.

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I have cut 10s of 000s of them over the years the way I usually do it is to take a whole log or two and mill it up into stickers its quicker than trying to recover them outa scrap for a start then as you are sawing more often thats when you start to pull them out of edgings where its an easy get just to top up  ;) Sticks dont need to be dry just the same or similar species  ;) just true them up with the thicknesser after the first lot you have dried with them as it will just keep them the same thickness  ;)

I take it you already know the rule with sticker spacing Mate ;) 1"@ 12" 1&½@18" and 2" and thicker at 24" spacing's if your planing on drying mostly Cedar i would go for 1&½ by 1 inch thick sticks to give you good airflow as it wll drop the moisture pretty well Mate ;):):)

Regards Chris

plowboyswr

Thanks Chris there was those of us that were wondering on the spaceing  :P now I dont have to ask!  ;D thats what I like about this site somebody gives the info without ya askin! 8)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Meadows Miller

Gday

No Problem  ;) Thats what The Forum is here for  :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) I love to see blokes with Smaller mills and Alot of Ambition that are willing to have a crack I would prefer to help people like yourselves  ;) ;D ;D  8) rather than the big companies i have worked for in the past as I have sawn on everything from CSMs thorugh to 45000bft a shift carriages and tell you what I prefer working on the smaller mills :):):)

Regards Chris

terrifictimbersllc

I tell people to bring framing lumber or get 1x3x8's from the big box store.  But I wouldn't buy them for myself.  Start dumpster diving for 1x and 2x lumber and saw them up on the table saw.  Or when you get your mill, first thing saw up several suitable logs into stickers,   cut them 4', bundle them into packs of about 25, with nylon strapping or rope, using thin slats or cardboard between layers of 5,  and put these bundles inside in a warm dry place for a month.  Lots of things to do no?   8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Meadows Miller

Ill also add stack all your timber on a good base say 6x6 or 8x8"s the length off your packs with 4x3" bearers on every second row off sticks its better to loose a little timber building a good base than loose alot off good timber through poor handling and drying ;):)

broylescc

Hey guys thanks for the welcomes! I will start a thread as soon as I get home from visiting my brother and his family here in St Loius. I have a few pics here on my phone but can't seem to get them to load. As for a quick run down on myself, I own a custom cabinet shop that has been blesses enough to stay very busy during these slow times. I know several that has not been so lucky! I deal strictly with kiln dries lumber mainly the normal cherry, alder, red oak, etc. I have recently found myself building more custom rustic furniture, mantels, and headboards for fun in what little spare time I have. Recently a small furniture co has asked me to start doing some custom stuff to sale in their store and I want to start logging and sawing my own wood to pick out the wood the most "character". Again I have learned so much from this forum and can't believe after building custom cabinets for all these years, how little I really know about wood! Ive always just picked up the phone and next day had a 1000 bdft of whatever at my door! But honestly I'm gettin burnt out and need a change! But the cabinet shop pays the big bills!

customsawyer

broylescc welcome to the forum. This is a great place to be when you are getting started or when you have been at it awhile.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bill Gaiche

Thank You Sponsors!