The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Pine Logs--under water  (Read 8761 times)

TxLogger

Pine Logs--under water
« on: December 12, 2001, 03:41:16 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy some oversize grade SYP logs from a local woodyard that have been under water for ????.  Have any of you guys ever sawn logs like this (water soaked)?  I know that some of the logs will be stained but will the logs make good lumber?  Any drying problems? Any input would be appreciated.

Tom

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
Re: Pine Logs--under water
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2001, 03:56:11 PM »
I saw submerged timber very frequently, Tex.

To keep the bugs out of the pine and the blue stain down and the rot to a  minimum, my farmer type customers throw the logs in the farm pond until one of us portable millers can get to them.  I have sawn pine that has been deliberately submerged for over a year and find it to be just as good as it was when it was put in the pond.  The bark will slip after time but that's ok and the wood surface is slick as can be but that's ok too.  Sometimes the log smells of pond silt but I haven't noticed it being inside of the log.  (I have sawed cypress that has been submerged for a hundred years and it stinks through and through but it goes away with drying)

It has been suggested by others that cut submerged wood to saw it as soon as possible so that the log doesn't begin to check.  When I saw submerged logs they have been out of the pond for maybe a day and usually are being dragged to me directly from the water.

I have sawed pine that has been submerged for a hundred years and the sap wood is no good but the hearts are good.  If you are not talking about many years then my experience is that the log will be in great shape.
extinct

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2001, 05:14:29 PM »
Underwater Logs are usually as good as the day they went down. Underwater log salvage is a profitable business for some here in the Lake States and Canada.

The book 'Underwater Logging" is currently out of print, but a copy might be available in your local library or dive shop.
~Ron

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2001, 09:21:13 PM »
Ron we need to talk about getting your book out there for the forum. Maybe an online version??  I know somebody that can make it happen ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline marc

• I have to much to say, it all will not fit on a few lines.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2001, 06:12:49 AM »
I watched a show a few weeks ago where they were pulling logs out of the Ottawa river, the reason the logs were so valuable was because the growth rings were so close together because they were from old growth forests. some of the highly dense birds eye maples were selling for up to 30 thousand dollars. :o

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2001, 08:12:07 AM »
Many of the "sinkers" that I've salvaged were the heavier and denser hardwood logs, not always the large white pine that people expected from the early logging days. There were also a lot of small diameter logs so they cut and floated most everything.

The "birds eye'' maple finds in the Upper Peninsula waters were and still are great finds. I understand that there have been some permits requested to salvage logs from the Manistee river here in Lower Michigan. It's a designated Wild & Scenic River though so obtaining a log salvage permit will be most difficult if at all.
~Ron

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
pine logs (radiata pine, German sylvestris pine, & Pinus maritime)

Started by mikewong808 on Forestry and Logging

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 07:21:25 PM
by MDLogging
xx
water & Pine-Sol as lube

Started by beerguy on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2004, 08:57:24 PM
by ARKANSAWYER
sad
How much water do I use on my SawMill to cut Pine