iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I want to build a small cabin....

Started by Papa, February 25, 2012, 03:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I have a couple acres near the house I'm going to be clearing and cutting firewood from with 50+ white oaks of different sizes some pretty big some smaller. For several years I have stared at them thinking that most are fairly straight and would probably be good for a small cabin build, actually what I have in mind is a building about  16 by 16 to use as an office area to a shop then build from that timber frame or ? for the actual shop which will have several sections. After doing some reading I have learned that white oak wouldn't be a good choice for log cabin structures, yet I have seen some builds with it, mostly I guess the problem is in the heavy weight of the white oak log. I am not so concerned with that as I am with how it would weather. Also what I want to build is small I could even go 12 by 12 for this room, I just would like to have the cabin feel to my customer area and well I have some logs. Another problem is I wouldn't know where to start after I dried the logs. I have basic building skills and never came close to notching and placing logs, but I feel confident that with such a small build that I might be able to pull something off. The main question I have is what way should I build off the cabin  and what can I do in the construction of this part to make it easy to build off of. Also what resources or ideas could you give to someone with no help and no experience building with logs?

beenthere

A lot of info in the T/F section here.
Also, from reading others' posts, sounds like a class of a week or so would be prudent for you to invest in at the very beginning.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ChrisGermany

Though I am no expert, I've seen plenty of structures built from white oak logs. The wood is dense, heavy, and doesn't rot easily, and it was a favorite among the old-timers in my part of the world. When hewn smooth and notched tight, it makes a beautiful building.

There are several good books on the subject, if you're interested in some reading material.

The Classic Hewn-Log House: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building and Restoring (by Charles McRaven)
A Logbuilder's Handbook (by Drew Langsner)
Your Log House (by Vic Janzen)
Building with Logs (by B. Allan Mackie)

There are a million more, but these are a few of my favorites. They'll definitely turn you in the right direction, and I believe they're all available on Amazon. As for the TF additions, that's something I have questions about myself, so I'll sit back and wait on those answers with ya.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

jander3

As Chris mentioned by B. Allan Mackie is a great start to understanding log building.   

I would read up on the following techniques..

Dovetail Construction
Round/Saddle notch and chinking
Hand Scribed
Piece-en-piece
Timber Frame

They all have pros and cons.  With basic skills and time you could learn any of these.

The best logs to build with are them that are right there where you want to build.  If they reasonably straight, you will have no problems.

Sprucegum

If you want to keep it real simple you can take a slab off the top and bottom of the log and just stack them for walls. I think its called "butt-pass" building?

Thank You Sponsors!