iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little white oak

Started by customsawyer, March 06, 2012, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Say I managed to get back in the woods and count the growth rings on that white oak .35" on the stump and 215 rings more or less .Just shows the difference of how slow the mighty oaks grow as compaired to a warmer climate .

Using my maternal grandfathers "chapins lumber rekoner " it scales just short of a thousand bd ft .

In a recent thread discussing the possibliies of planting oaks for  harvest someone suggested they might make lumber size trees in 50-60 years .If however they were grown in conditions such as exists where this one grew the tree would scarcely be over 6- 7 inchs in diameter after that many years .

I would venture a guess from what I've seen over the years that the average sized oak taken for lumber is between 32 and 36" more or less at least in these parts .

customsawyer

Well I guess Danny is out stacking lumber and will let us know what the tally is later. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I gotta saw White Oak tomorrow so I will dig those 7° blades out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The tally was 495 BF  (Preacher, you were a bit low  ;D).  Add that to the 635 BF from the butt log, and the Little White Oak cut out at 1130 BF. 

Those 15 1/4 " 6/4 10' planks and the 14" 8/4 10' planks were a real pleasure to stack  :).  All in all, it was a fine log and there was some very nice quarter sawn figure.  Jake has about got this quarter sawing down to an art, and I can stack real good!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

That is the exact amount of BF that I figured both logs would have in them with the doyle scale. The part that interests me in this is that the amount of waste that is usually associated with QS.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Al_Smith

I certainly don't know much about real bd ft output other than what I get from a book or chart .Fact the reference I use was first published in 1882 so it's probabley very conservative .

WDH

Basically, we quarter sawed the log and cut Doyle.  I think that is pretty good since Doyle is pretty close on the very big logs, not with the overrun like you see on the small logs.  We will need to write that down in the little book and make a note of it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!