iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Average diameter erc you like to cut

Started by 1woodguy, March 07, 2012, 06:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

hackberry....  i have a few like that size on the trailer. :)

hackberry jake

ShelbyC, I don't know if I can believe that without pictures  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

shelbycharger400

well... hackberry..you are right, not home yet,  i have yet to cut them down!   i need to get a 32 inch bar!   its a down right bear to drop them with a 20 inch!   

just to give you a perspective, you see the 2 rows, their is 25-30 ft between the rows, picture is at about 50 ft away from the trees.   branches are 4 to 6 inch thick in the first 6 ft at the base of the tree's

CLL

Like Cedarman says 8-9" on small end was my minimum because I cut 7/8" X 1X6 for fencing. Fencing company complained it was too thick as they was used to western cedar cut 1/2". so there nail guns had to be reset.
My ideal log was 12-16" fast easy and made 4x4 and 1x6 in quick order. Time is money.
Too much work-not enough pay.

1woodguy

Thanks for the replys
I couldn't post wasn't logged in and forgot pw
Missed out on a woodmizer down the road 30 minutes on Craig's list didn't have eight grand in cash
Got to convince wife this is a good idea
Getting a mill...
  When we went shopping yesterday I kind of pointed out all the clusters of cedars

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

shelbycharger400

i was at menards yesterday.... WOW how much red cedar boards are now!
im glad i have a mill .

Cedarman

shelbycharger, were those eastern or western red cedar boards?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ozarkian

From their website it looks more like WRC where I briefly glanced.
I've finally started to try and price out and have sold a few of my boards, mostly 1x6x8 and have came off with a few 2 1/4"/6-8"/8' live edges in the last few days.
I have a bunch of smaller diameter logs I am going to cut into thick live edge slabs approx 4-7" on small end @ 8'6".  I will take pictures and show ya how they turn out.
A question to some of you regarding pricing - I had an inquiry from somebody off CL wanting 40bf ERC (two 4x4x8 and four 4x4x6's - planed all four sides). I quoted approx $110.00.  He had requested all heartwood with no sap.   He said the price seemed to high, and I explained that the planing and all heart wood cost extra than just rough cut heart with some sap wood. 
I have not priced locally much, and would like your opinion of my pricing.
This is how I calculate and is what I responded to his e-mail with this -

"I charge $1.75/bf for rough sawn 6" or less with mostly heartwood.
When planing, I add $.30/bf to the amount.
What I had attempted to do on the phone earlier was estimate the cost for your order:
2 - 4x4x8
4 - 4x4x6
= 40 board feet
x 1.75
--------
$93.33 for Rough Sawn.
Optional - Planing all four sides for additional $.30/bf, which is $109.33.

I may have over estimated the bf, but the price is still close.  It may be worth considering the other option of using the less % heartwood @ $1.25/bf would be $66.67 rough sawn or $82.68 planed all 4 sides."

Feedback?

Sorry for posting here, but it's about ERCedar! :)

--Edit--  I also try to cut off both ends of each piece I sell with a 60 tooth finish blade, so they are already cut to length with  an extra 2"+ to the requested length.  So I feel the piece is more valuable, and personally - To me, this lumber is worth the price I am asking from the work I have put into it and usefulness in my own projects. 

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

shelbycharger400

yea... i think most of what mendards sells is western red cedar.  i remember a few years ago they usto have eastern red sometimes in the pile.

eastern red (juniper) has so many defects and low yeilds but yet awsome purples ect,  that i believe it  justifies the extra cost.

menards priced 4x4x6 is $16,    4x4x8 is $19.  its all brown wood too.

outside.. id use the cheapy wood
Inside...id use the PURPLE erc !!

local mill here charges .25/bf  circle mill cut    lots of mills are sitting on precut stock,   including him!

Cedarman

From my published price list which is lengthy and involved, but there  mostly  to show the wide variety of what we can do, I calculated what we would charge.  We do sell some all red periodically, but mostly red is more common and no spec on red is most common because most wood is 60 % red anyway.

Basic price starts with a 3 5/8" x 3 5/8" post that will be planed to 3 1/2" finished size.  Board footage of that post is 8.76 board feet.
Starting price is $1.10, $.50 for orders under 50', $1.00 all red, $.25 for planing makes $2.85 per board foot or $24.95 per post for 8'
For 6' there is 6.57 board feet.  Same pricing execpt addition charge for lengths longer or shorter than 8'.  Price is $3.05 per board foot or $20.00 per post.  So I would charge $129.90.

If someone says that seems high, than ask which store could they walk into in the United States and purchase this wood at any price.  How many stores could even order it at any price, unless they google Eastern Red Cedar Lumber and find my website. How many mills in the US could have it ready to go in one day?
People that want special orders in a timely fashion are well aware that it costs extra and are more than willing to pay it because it quickly solves their problem or need and they can get on the golf course quicker.

Ozarkian

Cedarman, thank you for your feedback.  I was indirectly asking you the question as your the Cedarman!!!  I am just a Cedarboy for now ;) lol
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Cedarman

Many of us were boys at one time.  Women were something else thank goodness :D :D.  Aaron just had a fellow from NW ARK get a big truck load of cedar from Stillwater, and we ship a lot of boxes of cedar by FEDEX to ARK.  There is lots of cedar market out there.
Specialty will get you most profit, but you still have to find a place for the low grade.  Don't forget split rails out of cedar. We sell semi loads of 2",3",4" and some 5" poles for the furniture market. 
Once you get the hang of it and feel comfortable, get a good website, it can do wonders for you.  Good luck Ozarkian.

okmulch

Luckily for me all of my low grade goes in to the grinder for mulch. I slab deep and get the good stuff, the slabs go for mulch along with a lot of defect.  :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f, Tigercat 724g feller buncher

WDH

Your prices are not too low.  Don't sell it too cheap.  Some people want a hand out. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!