The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Circle saw PTO  (Read 1497 times)

Offline BOBWOOD

• Share Post
Circle saw PTO
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »
Hi guys...just thought I'd try and find a PTO for my mill. I have a JD4039 engine and need to get a drivtrain together for it with clutch/reducer/reverser...It has a SAE#4 bellhousing. I'm thinking a 3:1 reduction will work and the rotation needs to be reversed. A Cotta AR2053E might work also a Twin Disc "technodrive" of similar specs....If you have anything like this you 'd like to sell please PM me. One other option I was considering would be a Timberjack 200 seriesBorg-Warner T98-L2transmission with reversing gear...that should work too. Thanks BOB

Online Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Circle saw PTO
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »
Bob you got me curious are you running a right hand circle mill with a tractor and a gear box reverser ? If your running a left hand mill a P.T.O. shaft from a hay baler makes a good drive line with the built in slip clutch.
Bill

Offline BOBWOOD

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
Hi Autocar. I am trying to run a right hand circle mill off a John Deere power unit originally from an air compressor. It currently has nothing beyond the flywheel as the compressor utilized a flexplate drive. So #1 I need a clutch of some kind. If I place it rearwards towards the mill I need to reverse the rotation as well as gear it down approximately 3 to 1. I was thinking of using a slip-clutch type driveshaft from there. I'd prefer to use this compact direct set-up in place of a bunch or belts and countershaft as I'd like to make the whole thing somewhat portable in the future. The engine is still mounted in a nice trailer type enclosure...and I hope to rebuild the whole mill on wheels as well...That way I can just plunk the mill down, position the power unit beside it...connect the driveshaft and begin sawing...BOB

Online Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »
Bob you might ask some of the other forum members about your J.D. engine that may be the same engine they put in a self propelled combine. If thats the case clutches are plentyful theres tons of companys selling combine parts. The only info I can tell you I had a 327 Chev engine with a three speed transmission on it , with my right hand mill I ran it in first gear. Then I moved it to a left hand mill and just put the transmission in reverce and away I sawed. On the left hand mill I had a drive line off a hay baler that would break away when there was a major problem and it was adjustable.
Bill

Offline BOBWOOD

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks for helping me Bill...I just talked to a guy today about getting an old TJ...I think the bell housing on the JD engine should just match up to the TJ T98-L2  transmission set-up...I'll be sure to ask the other guys here if it doesn't match right up...I don't really have the money...but I'm thinking I'll buy it anyhow if the price is right...I recall my brother telling me something about people just installing a new JD engine when their original 353 Detroits needed rebuilding...as the new JD engine wasn't much more than the fixin the old one!...It seems that there is a lot of logging equipment coming up for sale recently in the area I live in as most of the mills are gone now...unfortunately lots of people are hurting...there is not much agriculture around here except for small patches...so skidders are much more plentiful than combines...mostly it's all boreal forest...bedrock and muskeg...anyway I'll keep my eyes open for anything that works for my purpose...thanks again for the info....it's good to know what to look for. BOB

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Circle saw rpm...

Started by mrcaptainbob on Sawmills and Milling

55 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 06:26:59 PM
by tyb525
xx
circle saw ?

Started by thedeeredude on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post July 16, 2005, 11:54:51 AM
by woodhaven