The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: gas to electric motor?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: gas to electric motor?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 06:00:58 AM »
We had the same problem here .This hoity toit built a house right next to a cabinet shop then whined like a broke D-- dog about the dust collector noise .She raised a fuss about the hog farmers too .All the while her place looks like a junk yard imagine that .

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Logger,my bandmill used to have a two cly. wisconsin I made an add on muffler that fit on the old mufflers outlet much quieter.Also I would build an open front shed to protect you and your mill, solid back to the neighbor. Mayby you could have Al. stop by to smooth things over. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
I'm the last person he wants to do PR. I'd show them where the bear wee wee'd in the woods . ;D

There's a solution .Make a curtain out of rolled insulation or buy a sound curtain .To stop sound dissipation you have to have a sound impedence mismatch .The noise would go through the air and hit the sound curtain which would about kill most of it .--old submarine sonar tech here -- ;)

I could elaborate at great lengths about sound but rather than boar everyone to tears I'll just say it's all on the internet .

Seriously we use sound barriers at work on the machines and that's exactly how they work .Besides unless you are a junk yard dog like some of us it would cost a kings ransome to buy the goodies and wire it up .

Offline eastberkshirecustoms

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
I'd probably look into putting a Detroit on it and let it scream. See, how he likes that! But that's me. Out here in my weeds we've had too many of the 'city folk' move in and want all their 'city folk' laws. What happened to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

Offline CLL

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »
I try to be a good neighbor but sometimes it can get to the BITE ME point and I think that would be the case very quick with your problem.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:14 AM »
Another thought, is the Guy otherwise reasonable? If you go see him and tell him you are going to fit a 2nd muffler on the mill and put an extra wall /fence to block the noise in his direction, that will REDUCE the noise, will he be happy?

Or is he the type that wont be happy if he can even hear, see, smell... a sawmill?

That makes a big difference. Spending a lot of effort to appease him, if he's still not going to be happy, is sort of a waste of time.

Other thing is, what are the actual regulations in your area? If there are any, then you taking measures to reduce the noise may help you avoid them?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 06:35:02 AM »
I called him and left him a message on his phone that I was looking into getting another muffler and also maybe a solid fence along our property line.
Where the mill is and his house located it would have to be a tall fence and I know I will not built one that tall, maybe 20 ft to block any noise or view, his home is up hill from the mill. He really can't see the mill anyways from his home with a clear view. He didn't call back. I talked to a guy that says he has a agri zone like I do and he says the man can't stop me from running my mill. He sounds like he knows what he talking about. The rest of my neighbors are all country people and don't care, except this man that came from a gated community from FL. If he says anything else I'm agreeing with CLL in the post above you.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »
Common problem here too.

City folks "move to the country" for the peace and quiet. Then complain that someone is up at 5 am with farm bikes and dogs,  getting cows in to milk....

Welcome to the country...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
One of the better muffler upgrades out there is the Super Trapp. You would probably want the model 5s with the optional resonator.

Check them out at this site:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

And here's a page with some comparison noise reduction ratings (closest engine they have to yours is a 14 HP Kohler):
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmod.cfm

Not cheap as mufflers go, but effective, and a whole lot cheaper than switching to an electric motor.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Electric motor in place of gas motor on saw mill

Started by Freddie on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post November 21, 2019, 09:14:07 PM
by Kindlinmaker
xx
Electric motor

Started by iain on General Board

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2005, 06:49:48 PM
by iain