The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Learning  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Another "traveling man"
    • Share Post
Re: Learning
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
Welcome Duvals! round here we call those 6 ft ones "mater stakes" ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »
When I first started sawing lumber back in '4 we sawed oak the same as pine, that is 4/4 as on the WM scale.
I met the buyer from a large hardwood lumber company and asked him if he'd buy some oak lumber from me in small lots.
He asked me what thickness was my lumber, and I told him 4/4 as the scale on the woodmizer put out boards that were roughly 1 1/16" thick.
He told me that these boards were too thin and that the industry standard was 1 1/8" thick for hardwood lumber and that he won't buy any of my lumber this thickness.
I therefore changed my milling thickness and made my hardwood lumber 1 1/8" thick.

What I do is set aside board I cut as I'm making trailer planks and other hardwood lumber products and use these extra boards to make up my grade stakes.

When I had a regular helper, who came over after his regular job as a carpenters helper, he would take the lumber and cut them to 3' and 4' lengths, stacking them onto skid/pallets that I would move with my backhoe mounted fork lift to the "stake" area. There he would rip them on a table saw so that I could keep milling other lumber for customers and not be tying up the mill.

As he was ripping the blanks he'd push the pieces off the table saw into a bin, a pallet with sides up and strips over the top to hold the sides from spreading out.
The bin sat on blocks next to the pointer, behind the contractor table saw.
I got one of those pencil type pointers from Hud-Son in NY, after seeing them at the logging equipment show in Bangor Maine. It will point stakes up to 2" square.

Now adays, I don't use the table saw any more. I mill them on the sawmill. But what I do is I gang up a stack of 5 or 6 boards and stand them up on edge and clamp them up. As you rip down you make 5 or 6 stakes at a time. And you can grab up three in each hand as you scoop them up off the mill after each pass and toss them into a nearby bin without walking away from the mill. On the other side of the mill within tossing reach I have another bin that I can toss all the rejected ones into to but cut up for stove kindling.
After the bin is full or has enough to fill the order, I move it over to the stake pointing area and point the stakes. I have setup two racks to hold 25 stakes each so that I can point 50 then shut off the pointer and bind them up with my straps and buckles.
I use two straps and two buckles on each bundle one at each end about 6 to 8" back from the end.
I then carry them off and stack these bundles up on another pallet or right onto my trailer for delivery. When I stack onto a pallet, I switch ends where the points are so that you can just look at the row and see how many bundles are in each row, which I usually do 5 per row. And you can easily count up how many bundles you have on the pallet.

I hold out 4' stakes from milling or pointing that can be cut back to make 3' stakes and trim them off and re-point them.

I don't have any pictures of doing this. Sorry about that.

I also make a tree stake for a local nursery supply house and landscaping company. They are 1 1/2" square, and 8' long; to be use to secure newly planted trees, so that they don't blow over in the wind until they take root. Sometimes they use two per tree sometimes three.

They usually order 100 at a time but have in the past ordered as many as 300 or 500 at a time, when times were good. I did a batch for them last fall and delivered them right to there site which was half way between them and me. They came out nice and they were happy with that delivery service. It saved them an extra trip with their truck.
I don't bundle the tree stakes I deliver them loose.

I hope this has helped you some.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Woodchuck53

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
Welcome guys and gals ya'll like it here. I see from your pictures you started off right and have a good foundation of iron under your Hudson. Nice set up. keep your ears open and do good work and soon you'll have all you and her can handle. Good luck and remember to stay safe. These toys are fun but are still machinery in motion. A clean mill is a safe mill. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Offline Sarah Duval

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
Jim all the info you have given us so far has made a major difference and so has all the other ideas that everyone has kicked in. Thank you all very much. I have 2 landscaping companies that have called for the heavier stakes you are talking about Jim, I will be cutting those this week. Woodchuck that is my major concern and reason for being here, I want to make sure we are cutting the best products possible. I have yet to see a forum with even a quarter of the knowledge or willingness of it's members to be so helpfull to one another. Thank you everyone and some day I hope to be able to return the favors by being able to answer questions for you. Robert

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Learning as I go

Started by 123maxbars on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 11:49:53 PM
by WDH
xx
Learning....

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

196 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 05:24:22 PM
by Magicman